frugal friends

Thread: frugal friends

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default frugal friends

Since I have been here, I have learned so much and I am loving the frugal way. Now, I look at my friends like they spend too much, waste too much and are going to be worse off than me because they just love debt.

My question is about your friends. Are they frugal friends? Have you stopped hanging out with people who are not "frugal-like"?

I feel like I am on the outside looking in. Such debt lifestyle!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most of my friends are fairly frugal and money wise - but maybe not as frugal as me. It is hard to have friends whose idea of paring down is only going out to eat three times a week instead of four. For the most part, I haven't found it to be a problem. Of course, I've been very honest about my financial situation due to medical issues and my friends are very empathetic. But most of my friends are budget conscious.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sinopa27 View Post
    Now, I look at my friends like they spend too much, waste too much and are going to be worse off than me because they just love debt.

But that is a judgment call that you are making - maybe they don't see it that way.

My question is about your friends. Are they frugal friends? Have you stopped hanging out with people who are not "frugal-like"?

I feel like I am on the outside looking in. Such debt lifestyle!
    I still have the same friends and some are with me on the frugal part and a couple of them aren't. They are like what you mentioned above. I have learned to 'deal with it' (I d/n want to 'judge' their lifestyle - nor will I support it!!) and while we will visit at the house, we seldom go anywhere together as one of them is ALWAYS BROKE and because I am frugal and have the money to go out to eat she expects me to pay her way!!! NOT HAPPENING!!! If she was even making a small move to be frugal I might pay, but no effort is even made to save on her elec. bill let alone cut costs anywhere else so I can' be bothered to pay for her lunch!

The ones that are frugal will let me know what they are looking for and I get back to them when I have found a good price and vice versa. It is fun helping each other out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hang out with the same friends and I am very honest about having a budget and being more careful with money.

It is hard to watch someone "throw" away money, but we don't know what their financial situation is. Maybe they see themselves getting a great deal!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most of my friends are frugal. But I do think at times some really do not seem to have the concept of saving money. Instead of making a meal they will order out. Then talk about not having enough money.

Many times I have to remind myself that everyone can spend their money the way they see fit. But if I hear them complaining all the time I will chime in on things I do to save. Or call them on it.

I do not have a problem now saying well I can afford to do this. Or maybe next week, or month. Everyone I know, knows I am on a very limited budget. Plus sometimes I think I need to give people reality checks on the fact that I can not do everything all the time. And seriously it does not bother me since the area I live in has many free or low cost events all the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some of my friends are frugal and some are not. I do NOT let the non-frugal ones sway me from my chosen path! I also have given up trying to teach several of them how to be frugal, get out of debt, etc.

I am getting to know one of hubby's long time friends better. He is SO frugal, but he doesn't talk/brag about it. He just turned his garage into a Harley Davidson themed man cave on a VERY frugal budget.

The only reason I know is because he bought most of the Harley themed stuff on eBay. I know his ID and happened to look at it yesterday because he sells some of his musical equipment from time to time. He got some really good deals! I know what a lot of the stuff he bought costs new and in the stores.

We were also discussing buying motorcycles recently and he said he would NEVER buy a new Harley or finance one. He has purchased two used Harleys with low mileage for VERY good prices. I like this guy!

Then there is hubby's cousin. I had to tell cousin that hubby could NOT go to Fry's (computer stuff) with him any more. Hubby's cousin makes TONS of money and spends it willy nilly. He has the latest and greatest of everything, pays full price for everything, doesn't shop around or believe in using coupons or manufacturer's mail in rebates, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have kept the same friends. My more non-frugal friends, I don't go out with as much. I'm really focusing on my debt and I can't afford to stay out drinking all night. In reality, they can't either, but it's not for me to judge what they do with their money. I have a friend here at work and she is single like I am. We share recipes, bring in things for the other to try, and help each other stay on the "Soon to be debt-free" path. She wants to buy a house and I want to pay off my CC and pay off my house. It's really good to have someone to talk with and work through things with. She and I usually go out to lunch once every 2 weeks as a treat, but it is always with a coupon.

cau
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have pretty much the same friends for years. The frugal ones I will talk about frugal things with the others we just don’t talk about it much. I not a complainer so I don’t listen to it much from them. I just change the subject. I use the site and another thread to help me stay on target.