How cold does it have to be......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How cold does it have to be......

outside before you turn on your heaters? I live in hot, humid, sticky, sunny south/central Florida. My DH keeps insisting to turn on the heater. Of course, "cheapie" (as DH calls me) me doesn't want to cause we always HAVE to have it on in 90 degree weather. Now it's only 68 inside the house and I'm under the blankets why not save the electric for when we need the air? Now IF(big IF) I was in minus weather like the rest of you it would be a no brainer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i tease my friend about this all the time she lives in miami and needs a jacket at 68 degrees!..i laugh and say we can go swimmin at that temp..lol
    i would think Fl would rarely need the heat on..i keep my stat at 67-69 in the winter..so if it was me it would still be off..tell your husband to put some socks on and a long sleve shirt..he'll be alright =)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Its 19 degrees out with a wind chill of 0. I am trying so hard to keep the thermostat below 64...but I am already wearing boots and a thermal, and a sweater and using blankets....I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

I wish I had a pellet stove or a working fireplace.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I turned my heat on back in September, but we had unusually cold temps here.

If you don't have air then you can leave your furnace set on 68 year around...if the temp inside the house gets to 68 the furnace will kick on...if it doesn't it won't.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny :
    Change :

2020 Coupon Savings and Perks Challenge:
    $172.82

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister lives in south Texas and can't come back home (Kansas) anymore during cold weather because she isn't acclimated to this kind of cold, so her "it's cold" is different from ours. I still had windows open at the same temperatures she's turning the heat on.

I won't turn the Infrared Heater on until the temperature is in the low 40's and won't turn the furnace on until it's in the teens AND high wind.

Similar to MissFancyPants - 18°F (windchill 6°F), and inside I'm keeping it 64° (instead of 62°). The bedroom (vents closed) is usually around 54°F. I also have the whole house furnace on today because we're in for even colder weather and I want to make sure everything is warm enough so pipes don't freeze the next few days, which accounts for the additional 2°.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I go by the temp inside, not outside. In winter we keep it 68 at night and 70-72 during the day. It has been so cold here at night the heat runs constantly, and I am thinking of knocking it down to 66.

Perhaps you can come to some sort of agreement about the heat and how long it will run. Maybe let it go for two hours first thing in the morning to take the chill off the house, then let the sun warm it in the warmer part of the day.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

sorry. we're total wimps. South Louisiana. When it's in the low 50's the furnace gets set at 65. But our tiny little house with double pane windows warms up quick and stays warm. Heater goes off at night (bothers my allergies) and small electric heater in bedroom (with auto cut-off if it gets too hot) goes on.
    I agree about saving for AC in the summer, but heat is gas, AC is electric. Heat is cheaper and I suck it up in the summer and have all the ceiling fans going (even have one in the kitchen)
    ...my old roomies hated me for that one! called me the AC Nazi!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

sorry. we're total wimps. South Louisiana. When it's in the low 50's the furnace gets set at 65. But our tiny little house with double pane windows warms up quick and stays warm. Heater goes off at night (bothers my allergies) and small electric heater in bedroom (with auto cut-off if it gets too hot) goes on.
    I agree about saving for AC in the summer, but heat is gas, AC is electric. Heat is cheaper and I suck it up in the summer and have all the ceiling fans going (even have one in the kitchen)
    ...my old roomies hated me for that one! called me the AC Nazi!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with the acclimation thing. We usually have our daytime furnace settings at 66 and I am just fine. However I just came back from a visit to my family in PA. They are elderly and have the house set in the 70's. At first I am too hot, after a few days I assimilate. Then when I get back to Ohio I am freezing and piling on the clothes and turning up the heat till I reacclimatize.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I swim outdoors and wear shorts and a tank top when it is 68 degrees but I am use to -40 degree temps in the winter so 68 is a heat wave for me!

If you become uncomfortable then I would say it is time to turn it on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go by the inside temp as well. If it gets below 59F we turn on the heat. Our thermostat is set at 59F for overnights and between 62-64 during the day when we are home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in Florida, and I've had my heat on for 5 days straight. Right now, I have a temp of 38 degrees (outside) at almost noon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by savininfl View Post
    outside before you turn on your heaters? I live in hot, humid, sticky, sunny south/central Florida. My DH keeps insisting to turn on the heater. Of course, "cheapie" (as DH calls me) me doesn't want to cause we always HAVE to have it on in 90 degree weather. Now it's only 68 inside the house and I'm under the blankets why not save the electric for when we need the air? Now IF(big IF) I was in minus weather like the rest of you it would be a no brainer!
    Not sure where in sunny South Central Florida you live but I too live in Sunny Central Florida and the last two nights it was 29 degrees with ice on the windshields and grass. That's cold I don't care where you are.

We turn it on when the house hits 67 for about 1/2 hour in the evening until it hits 72, which pretty much keeps it till the next evening.

I could deal with 65 myself but they are cold and uncomfortable. That's not worth it to me. They deal with the rest of my electric Nazi stuff so 1/2 a night I'll deal with. Besides with the three of us gone during the day when we get home we don't have time to stay under the blankets, which I would love to do but can't.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am with you Nikkosan999! It has been really cold this week. I caved in finally the other day and took out a small space heater for my kids.Now today I hear on weather channel maybe snow flurries in ST Pete tomorrow!! I thought I left Mass! Anyway it was like 40 or so in the house I can take it with a sweatshirt on and slippers but the kids I dont wanna take a chance. So I make sure they stay warm with clothes and the heater. I have made it so we watch more movies on our seldom used big screen so we can all stay warm in one room under a blinket and have time together so win/win. When they go to bed they have the heat and extra blinkets DH has me!Whats worst is I own NO pants except for my pajamas!Its hard cuz I am in the habit of getting dressed to the shoes. But with it so cold I wear my pj bottoms and slippers but when I go out I wear my longest capris. As I said when I go out its a sweatshirt/pullover and Im good. I dont regreat not haveing a winter coat yet.But I am happy I was smart and saved the kids coats and gloves and all that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I heard that about the snow flurries too. Glad to know I'm not the only one that heard it. I thought I was dreaming as it was a walk thru when it was on.
    Can you imagine it here....shelves will be empty...no gas...they will go nuts. Probably close down the schools. And the wrecks...oh my God!!!!
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4