armageddon, 2012, pandemics, asteroids, etc.....
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default armageddon, 2012, pandemics, asteroids, etc.....

dh and i spent the weekend watching one 'end of the world' show after another...(i know...we need to get out more...lol)....

anyway.... i started looking around the internet out of curiosity as to what people really thought and have found that there really are alot of individuals that believe we are in for something...(and alot more that just aren't sure but won't rule it out...) dh & I seem to fall into that category.....

so i am still curious...what do all you villagers believe ? and while we are on the subject...what are you doing (or not doing) in preparation for something that might or might not happen...???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The world ended on 12/31/1999 and we just don't know it yet. 2011 / 2012 are upstart wanna bees.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is a guy here at work who's Pastor told him and the entire congregation the world would end in 2 years...

So another guy asked him questions. ...his answers in bold

Tim, do you believe your Pastor? Yes, absolutely.

Is your house paid for? Yes

Do you have enough money in your savings/checking/retirement to last you 10 years or more? Heck yeah I do, I'm very frugal with my money, pay cash for everything and my house was paid for a long time ago.

So Tim, Since you are so well off and believe your Pastor, why don't you quit your job so someone else could have it? ______________. no response

Five years later he still works here.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-01-2010 at 01:34 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm curious now what Tim asked the pastor! LOL

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tim doesn't want to talk about.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heh - well Tim should keep these emails - and in 2 years and 1 month, forward them back to the pastor.

Being ordained doesn't guarantee intelligence or sense.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't believe that the world will end in 2012. And if it does, it does. I can't stop it and to be honest if it's that bad no amount of preparation is gonna help any of us!

I choose to just keep on living my life and not worry about something that I can't keep from happening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    dh and i spent the weekend watching one 'end of the world' show after another...(i know...we need to get out more...lol)....

anyway.... i started looking around the internet out of curiosity as to what people really thought and have found that there really are alot of individuals that believe we are in for something...(and alot more that just aren't sure but won't rule it out...) dh & I seem to fall into that category.....

so i am still curious...what do all you villagers believe ? and while we are on the subject...what are you doing (or not doing) in preparation for something that might or might not happen...???
    A huge fraction of people seem to believe that we live in the 'End of Days' and devote their entire lives to looking for signs that support this. I think it makes some people feel special.

Frankly I believe the human race will survive indefinitely - or more precisely, the human race in some transient form based on our perpetually evolving DNA.

We are a remarkable race, and I believe that there will come a time when most of the human race won't be able to point to the location in the sky where the Earth is located.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't believe in the 'Mayan calendar chaos'... but, I do believe in NASA.

I wrote this in March 2009 on www.iquarrel.com (the villages debate site)

Solar Storm 2012
    I thought long and hard where to post this item... It is science and technology related, but it also could go in environmental, world issues or even preparedness and survival.

There may be more theories about 2012 than there are hairs on my head. Some people are convinced that the ending of the Mayan calendar marks the end of the world. Some people think that the 2012 theories are ridiculous.

Solar Flares are nothing new to the Earth. Some may have been affected back in the 90's when one knocked out the satellite that sends pager messages. There is even a written record of one in the 1800's knocking out telegraph transmissions.

Well campers, major one is predicted to hit around 2012. What will happen is still up in the air, but there is a strong possibility that the electric grids, water and food supplies will be effected.

So... weigh in with your thoughts.

Sources:

Discovery Chan. video
    Solar Flare 2012
    NASA article from 2006
    National Geo article from 2006

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I believe that something is going to happen. What I don't know, am I preparing not really. If we lived on our own and not with my inlaws and had some money then yes I would be. I however believe that something big enough will happen that I asked my husband and daughter to stay home that day. If nothing happens great had a nice family day. If something does at least we will be together. I also think that it doesn't matter how much you prepare for something IF the world is going to end or whatever there is not much you can do to stop it. So just keep on living and loving because we could be hit my an asteriod tomorrow and not know it until just before it hits us. We have had some close calls. So in the end don't worry about it to much live your life and if you feel the need to prepare do so.
    IMO anyways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by greebo View Post
    the world ended on 12/31/1999 and we just don't know it yet. 2011 / 2012 are upstart wanna bees.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha greebo!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Predictions of cataclysms are always with us. Life goes on.

Terry Pratchett says somewhere that no matter what people say they want, what they really want is that tommorow will be pretty much like today. The only preparations I'm making for the future are based on the assumption that tommorrow being pretty much like today is essentially what will happen.

That much preparation is prudent and we know how, more or less to prepare for that. It seems to me that expecting cataclysms and focusing on them and preparing for big what-ifs only leads to living in a climate of fear or agitated excitement. I am not willing to do that. If a huge smash happens, that would be beyond my ability to prepare for, and I'm not sure I would want to be alive in the aftermath of a big smash anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How would one prepare for a catastophe like a solar flare, or a huge asteroid? Put your head between your legs and kyag? I can get a grasp on things we can do to prepare for AFTER a crisis , to survive in a world with no electricity, government, money system or even groceries. But how on earth do you prepare for an asteroid?

Maybe reinforce your underground basement and have enough supplies to hunker down and eventually survive. You would have to live like they did in olden times before all of the conveniences we are used to now.

Alot of us stockpile and have plenty of food and items to live for awhile. Some of us garden, camp, make our own items. I think the skills we know will help us survive in groups and also to barter. If you have a needed survival skill then you are a valuable person who would be needed to help others.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I think something will eventually happen. Pandemic, natural catastophe or terrorist attack. It will be teotwawki and the survivors will need to know what to do to start over. As far as 2012 being the last day - maybe the Mayans just got tired of keeping a calendar and stopped on that date.(lol)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I believe something is going to happen. I don't believe we can put a date on it or I will be around to see it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I truly believe that only God knows the hour. I put my faith and trust in Him and try to live each day to the fullest. I do not sweat what I cant control You cant add one minute to your life by worrying about what might happen so why bother

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast