Help please deviled eggs.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Help please deviled eggs.....

I have to make 60 deviled eggs for a baby shower and was wondering after the eggs are hard boiled do I have to peel them right away for deviled eggs? Can they be boiled today, refrigerated and then peeled and mixed tomorrow night and "constructed" Saturday morning?
    TIA
    Denise

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've done mine many times like that. I always have to make the deviled eggs for family functions. As long as they stay in the refrigerator and not stored on the counter, you should be fine. I never cook mine the day of the event. I always do them a day or two early. I've never had a complaint and no one has ever gotten sick from mine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have boiled eggs in the refrigerator most of the time, The kids sometimes like them in their lunch, and just pull one out when they want them. I don't peel them until I need them.

You should be ok to boil them ahead of time, and use in a couple days.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've cooked my eggs, peeled and halved and placed in flat containers for transporting (if you place a wet paper towel thats a little crumpled, the eggs will stay in place). I devil the yolks and store it in a lg ziptop bag. The day of my party, I snip the corner of the bag and pipe the mix into the whites. You can always do the steps in stages if time is the issue.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    I've cooked my eggs, peeled and halved and placed in flat containers for transporting (if you place a wet paper towel thats a little crumpled, the eggs will stay in place). I devil the yolks and store it in a lg ziptop bag. The day of my party, I snip the corner of the bag and pipe the mix into the whites. You can always do the steps in stages if time is the issue.
    I don't have to transport them since the shower is at my house
    Ceashels....do you cook and cut them a day or two before? Then pipe the yolk in at the party..etc?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The eggs peel easier if they are cold! The shell won't stick to the egg that way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BTW, I have a trick to peeling eggs. Its a German technique called scaring the eggs.

You boil (either hard boil or soft boil) and drain the water. Then put the lid back on the pot and shake to break the shells up. You then fill the pot up with cold water and let the egs sit for a few minutes. The shells will come off easily and in large chunks.
    adn your whites won't be mared.

Thank You Ceashels!! I will use your idea in the future for deviled eggs. No more tupperwear with deviled egg yolk all over the lid and ugly eggs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

does it matter if they are "too" cold? Normally I cook, cool them in ice water, peel and prepare all at once but with so much to do before this shower and so many....I am driving myself nuts with ALL of this house prep and shower stuff.
    Thanks again all!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yep cool the eggs first and the shell part will peel off great ,
    good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mom23boyz View Post
    I don't have to transport them since the shower is at my house
    Ceashels....do you cook and cut them a day or two before? Then pipe the yolk in at the party..etc?
    Thanks
    Yes, up to 3 days in advance, since the moist papertowels are used to stabilize them they don't dry out and have always been happy with the results.

The eggs will peel better if you use "older eggs" as the air pocket is a little larger and the membrane is easier to peel. Alton Brown stores his eggs on their side a few days ahead of time so the yolk tends to center itself better.

I also bring the eggs to a boil, remove from the heat and put a lid on the pot for 15 mins for them to finish cooking. They then get an ice bath for 10 mins before I peel. Most of the time it works incredibly well but there are a few that maintain their stubbornness... they get eaten by quality control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    You boil (either hard boil or soft boil) and drain the water. Then put the lid back on the pot and shake to break the shells up. You then fill the pot up with cold water and let the egs sit for a few minutes. The shells will come off easily and in large chunks.
    adn your whites won't be mared.
    I am going to try this! Thanks!

I always boil my eggs early. Have let them sit for two or more days. Then the shells come off easier. If you try to peel them right after boiling (and some cooling) they won't peel well.

I, too, often have boiled eggs in the refer. Handy for a quick lunch or to toss some in with tuna for sandwiches.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've stopped helping ceashels peel eggs cause IMO she peels em too warm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

try some white vinegar in the water. oldfashioned trick

yep it is better to boil and refrigerate then peel.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 0911laob View Post
    try some white vinegar in the water. oldfashioned trick

yep it is better to boil and refrigerate then peel.
    Actually, it's not. I've had trouble peeling boiled eggs after they'd been in the refridgerator because if the skin gets too cold and/or too dry, it'll stick right to the egg. When it sticks to the egg, it removes chunks from the egg and sometimes, it splits them wide open.

The best way to boil and then peel for deviled eggs (I make them once a week for a protein boost for the kids) is to boil them for 15 minutes maximum. After that, take them off of the stove and immediately rinse them with cold water. Once they're cool to the touch (but not cold), crack them at the portion of the egg that has the pocket of air. This gives you more leverage to remove the shell and makes it easier to peel them.

My eggs peel extremely easy this way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    Actually, it's not. I've had trouble peeling boiled eggs after they'd been in the refridgerator because if the skin gets too cold and/or too dry, it'll stick right to the egg. When it sticks to the egg, it removes chunks from the egg and sometimes, it splits them wide open.

The best way to boil and then peel for deviled eggs (I make them once a week for a protein boost for the kids) is to boil them for 15 minutes maximum. After that, take them off of the stove and immediately rinse them with cold water. Once they're cool to the touch (but not cold), crack them at the portion of the egg that has the pocket of air. This gives you more leverage to remove the shell and makes it easier to peel them.

My eggs peel extremely easy this way.
    I do the exact same thing. The only thing I do a little differently is that once I crack them, I roll them in my hands making the entire shell crack. Then I run them under cold water again. They peel so easily this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast