Im thinking again
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Im thinking again

My husband left last night to go out of town for a week
    and i have been wanting to redo things..im thinking of painting the living room A cream with white trim..its all white now, its a rental so its sloppy and on the wood. but we might be gone in 2 years...

we have lived here 4 years ..and there are some drawings on the wall..cant immediately see them but i can...but i think ee need to repaint before we ever move right? or since we have been here so long is the LL required to do so anyways?

i have never painted a whole room before
    and i hate spending money and im thinking it will cost close to $100.00 to paint, is the right?

but i really think the cream and white would be so pretty..i want to get dark blue curtains and then we have brown and cream furniture

i am rambling because i dont know what i want to do..would love so feed back

o o o i have 2 kids 2 and 5 yrs old what would i do with them to keep them from touching the wall and other stuff

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't necessarily have any advice for you, but I had to giggle at your title, because whenever I start a sentence with "I've been thinking again," my dh says "uh-oh!"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by amyboz View Post
    i don't necessarily have any advice for you, but i had to giggle at your title, because whenever i start a sentence with "i've been thinking again," my dh says "uh-oh!"
    mine too!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't see any problems with repainting the walls for the remaining 2 yrs. Its a small cost for something that will give you satisfaction & relief seeing that you and your family will be staring at them for the remaining time frame. Plus its a neutral colour not dark blue or purple etc. I'd still opt to make a quick phone call to the LL to confirm and heck they may love the fact that you helped them 'freshen up' their rental property? Depends on the LL - each are different.

What's the worst case scenario? They say no or tell you you need to repaint it back to the current colour before you move out?

As for the kids...not sure how to answer that one - buy washable paint, one that stands up to some light scrubbing and then invest in some Mr Clean magic erasers? LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sahm2boys View Post

i have never painted a whole room before
    and i hate spending money and im thinking it will cost close to $100.00 to paint, is the right?
    That depends upon the paint you use. When we were ready to repaint, I discovered Walmarts Colorplace was made by Sherwin Williams. It only cost us about $12ish a gallon. It has held up just as good as the Behr we had on before.

added:
    We have kids so we do not use flat in any brand. We use at least a semi gloss. It washes up just fine.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGranola; 02-22-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Get approval from the landlord before you start if the lease doesn't grant you permission already. Otherwise the landlord potentially can charge you for having to repaint if you used a non-neutral color.

And I'm not aware of any laws that require landlords to paint - ever - regardless of time of occupancy - but that will be a state thing. I can tell you that starting in April, the EPA is going to require that rental properties be painted only by certified painters if the property is pre 1955 (lead paint risks).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As for costs:

Painters tape, brushes, rollers, utility knife, spackle/joint compound (for small holes), 6" mud tool (for applying the joint compound) evenly, sand paper (for after joint compound) and a quart of primer for anywhere you use spackle and for sealing and covering any stains.

Plus paint.

Bout $200 if you want to do it right and you don't own the tools already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Next time you get the chance, price out what would be needed. If you have large holes in the wall, spackle/joint compound and a plastic or metal scraper will be needed. If you have some nail holes here and there the paint will probably cover them easily.

I usually do a Satin or Eggshell (not a color) finish for most rooms since it cleans more easily when wiping up hand and finger prints, with semi or high gloss in the "wet" rooms and rooms that will require more cleaning of the walls. You can also buy paint specific for trim work and that tends to be high gloss as well.

Most big stores (Home Depot, Lowe's) carry "starter" kits that includes a paint tray, an edging brush, a roller handle and 2 rollers for around $10. They work really well and I've had no problem with the quality of the rollers.

Have fun, shop around and get someone else to watch the kids that day. Most paint dries in a few hours and touch ups can be made before the paint cures (approx 2 mos) and it will still blend in very well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it makes you happy and the LL is cool with it...go for it. May need some duct tape to your budget for the kids... jk. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would discuss this with the LL. If it's ok the LL should buy what is needed and you could do the painting. Both of you win this way, you get new paint job and LL doesn't have to do the painting or hire someone to do it.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Sassyclass View Post
    I would discuss this with the LL. If it's ok the LL should buy what is needed and you could do the painting. Both of you win this way, you get new paint job and LL doesn't have to do the painting or hire someone to do it.

Cat
    Speaking as a landlord - if the tenants want to paint, I'll deduct the cost of the *paint* from the rent, if I approve it ahead of time, and after I see the new paint job and it's a good job.

If it's a lousy color choice (non neutral) I'm not buying the paint and I'll expect them to repaint before they leave or they'll lose security deposit money.

I am not buying tools for my tenants either way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    Speaking as a landlord - if the tenants want to paint, I'll deduct the cost of the *paint* from the rent, if I approve it ahead of time, and after I see the new paint job and it's a good job.

If it's a lousy color choice (non neutral) I'm not buying the paint and I'll expect them to repaint before they leave or they'll lose security deposit money.

I am not buying tools for my tenants either way.
    Yeah, all of this is why it should be discussed with the landlord.

Cat