Okay- ya'll kicked Murphy and his kin out and now he's over here!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Okay- ya'll kicked Murphy and his kin out and now he's over here!

Lucky thing I'm off of work today.

It's raining pretty good today with wind gusts of 30mph +.

We rent a 60 year old house.

I went grocery shopping this morning, put the groceries away. I went to take the garbage and recycling out and saw that a 8 ft section of our 6 ft tall wooden fence in the back yard had detached and blown open. Like a gate.

We've had problems with this fence falling down before. Its really old and the wood is pretty much shot. Our landlord is cheap (not frugal) and just keeps repairing the fence which keeps blowing down every winter. The nails/screws just pull out of the rotten/soft wood whenever it rains and the wind blows.

So I go out there in the pouring rain. The broken fence section is leaning against a small dogwood tree and pushing on it. I tried to lift and push the fence section back where it belongs to take the pressure off of the small tree but realize that the force of the wind will just blow it back open again. Its on top of an uphill slope (running parallel on the top of the uphill slope) and its dang heavy.

I go back inside and into the garage to see if I can find some rope or something.

And I find a roof leak in the garage. A pretty good one. Yep, its leaked before too and been patched by the landlord. The roof slopes in there so I had to constantly monitor and move the buckets as the drips kept moving downhill on a beam until it got to the other wall and stopped and dripped there.

So I got a couple buckets set out to catch the drips, finally found some twine and scissors, went outside and lifted/pushed the fence section up off the tree and managed to secure it right there with some twine to another stronger part of the fence so it won't move back onto the tree. It's not anywhere near back where it belongs but at least it's off the tree. Go back into the garage and start cleaning up some minor puddles and moving everything in the path of the leak out of the way so it doesn't get wrecked. Not as easy as it sounds because DH has a bunch of not-well-organized stuff in there and its a small one car garage. There was a bunch of stuff in cupboards I had to clear out just in case.

Called the landlord at work at some point and he said he'd be over after work to come patch the roof. I told him the fence is held together with twine right now LOL. DH comes home for lunch - I called and told him what all was happening earlier and the landlord calls back while DH is home. Says he's sending over a roofer. Now THAT makes sense. Glad he made that decision. Landlord is easily into his 70's and even though he is quite spry I don't see him up on the roof after dark in the driving rain to save a few dollars.

*Sigh* So now the roofer is here and patching things up. The rain is supposed to let up tomorrow so hopefully the landlord will be here to fix the fence.

When the roofer leaves I'm going to put on some DRY fuzzy jammies and curl up with a cup of hot tea.

Okay - all Murphys need to be sent to a deserted island in the middle of the ocean!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dang, when it rains it pours. No pun... errrrr yeah Pun intended.

hope things get dried out soon.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry you've had one of those days. Don't let Murphy mess with your tea. Enough is enough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Murphy & his kin are to be sent to an space exploration trip, where no man has gone before, non-stop, never need to send any report back, never need to stop on any planets, just keep going....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know what you mean about murphy....he came to my place last week.... we unclogged the drains at my salon with some high power drain cleaner....so high power that it ruined all the plumbing under the sinks!! lol oh and my washing machine died... then the big spring on our garage door broke and I bulged a disc in my back trying to lift it to get the cars out.... yeah...I HATE THAT MURPHY GUY!!!!! Things are getting back to normal now though....thank goodness!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd comment, but I don't want to draw attention back on myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good point madhen!!

Starsapphire - I think you handled it all so well - and you deserve to relax and cuddle up!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I'd comment, but I don't want to draw attention back on myself.
    What she said...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you get a new roof and a new fence!! Hope you dried out!! Someone needs to put an end to Murphy!! He seriously messes stuff up!!
    Hugs to yoU!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

may Murphy just GET LOST!!