It is that time of Year the "what are you doing this summer?" questions --rant/whine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy It is that time of Year the "what are you doing this summer?" questions --rant/whine

I have always dreaded the "what are you doing this summer?" or "Are you doing anything special this summer?" questions.

It happens every year starting about now. Normally, I just get to answer, "the summer library reading program and swimming lessons". To which everyone seems stunned and unable to say anything. Those that do find their voice I wish they hadn't as they so "basically nothing then" or "So nothing special this summer"

Well, this year I was feeling different as for my birthday and our anniversary present we (Hubby and I) are planning on taking the kids to the amusement park. We are so excited. It will be grand fun. It will be the first time the kids have been on any rides.

So I was excited to be able to answer the "what are you doing this summer" questions. But it reality it is not fun. I received about the same stunned responses. Then am "privileged" to hear about cruises that are scheduled. One family (that is my age and has children my kids ages) was being treated to a family cruise by and with the grandparents. All this talk was going on while my mom just returned from her cruise and a few weeks before she leave the country again. So I might be more sensitive to cruise talk as I just heard and saw the pictures from my mother's cruise.

Maybe I'm a bit jealous. Maybe I'm disappointed/hurt that others are excited about our trip we have planned. Maybe I just don't feel normal. I don't know.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We think differently. I reply, "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AND I CAN'T WAIT!!" which, with my enthusiasm usually provokes a surprised chuckle. I then immediately reply, "how bout you?!" and let them go off.

People really just wanna talk about themselves anyhow, I let them go for it. *wicked grin*
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that swimming and reading over the summer are fun! A day at an amusement park sounds great!

I understand what you are saying tho. I hear about trips to Hawaii, Mexico and cruises.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We never go anywhere and we dont even do swimming or reading. So we do nothing. We were never raised as a family that did vacations and it carried thru to us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd be sitting there cringing inside at the amount of money they'd be spending and guessing (probably correctly) that its all being charged on plastic vs knowing its already saved and paid for IN CASH. Not many do that when it comes to a cruise. And once on the boat they gouge you for more money and try to entice you with wimpy 'extras' etc. Just be glad you're not going down their nasty spiral into debt. (no offense to your mother of course)

Hold your head up high in knowing that you're not another sheep following the herd into debt and doing things that are within YOUR means

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, well...I keep hearing about my dd's planned cruise. And her husband isn't working!!! She refused to even consider cancelling it because it's for their anniversary??? Please...they have three little kids and NO income except unemployment and food stamps. Her in laws are going to keep the kids and think it's *wondeful*.
    We, on the other hand...have no plans for the summer....except hanging around home and some short days trip on the bike.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I'd be sitting there cringing inside at the amount of money they'd be spending and guessing (probably correctly) that its all being charged on plastic vs knowing its already saved and paid for IN CASH. Not many do that when it comes to a cruise. And once on the boat they gouge you for more money and try to entice you with wimpy 'extras' etc. Just be glad you're not going down their nasty spiral into debt. (no offense to your mother of course)

Hold your head up high in knowing that you're not another sheep following the herd into debt and doing things that are within YOUR means
    No offense to my mother she is completely debt free including the mortgage. The trips were/are debt free too.

Registered User daughter of pearl's Avatar
    I live in an eastern suburb of Toronto in Canada, near Lake Ontario and lots of park land.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Them: What are your plans for the summer?

Me: Enjoying the sun from the local park, reading good library books and paying off debt. You?

Them: Going to (fill in exotic tourist location) and racking up massive credit card debt!

Who wins?

I DO!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh and to answer your question - I plan on staying home this summer as well and go to the local free festival type things offered by the city.....either at my home or by DF's home (diff city).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cruises can get so pricey so quickly, especially if you live nowhere near a port. Just the transportation needed to get you near enough to the boat to actually board it is enough to break the bank LOL. I would have never considered it until we moved to FL, and even now, it probably won't happen for quite some time. We're not going ANYWHERE this summer lol. If we manage to get up to Busch Gardens it'll be a major feat, but I'm really doubting it. BF just started his job less that 3 months ago and the place is so busy that there's not a chance in ....you get the idea, that he's getting out of there for longer than a weekend, especially since his boss hasn't had a vacation in over a year. Soooo, that being said, the most we'll be up to this summer is going down to the beaches or checking out local restaurants/bars.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not doing anything in particular either, and I'm OK with it. I don't want/have to go on some big and fancy cruise to 'do' something. Chilling with my family is doing something...just not so expensive and something I do on a day to day basis.

DD1 is going to some local church day camps and that's about it. Other than going to splash pads (free), a Children's museum (which is has a low yearly membership cost), a low-key children's activity park (which I buy a summer pass for myself and the kids), wading pools (free)...we're not doing much. And I don't care!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We don't have any plans. The DD will be taking summer college courses,DH will be traveling,DS will go off on adventures w/ friends. I think it's me that doesn't have an plans except driving kids. WOOT.

My kids are older so i don't have to hear all that stuff as idon't go to the school. Thank You.
    But when i heard all that crap I learned to say "OOF That'll cost ya." Suprisingly many admitted they were spending their last dime. Or getting further into debt. If a relative was paying I would say "cheater,tell your mom I'm up for adoption". I don't need to impress anyone. It cost too much and frankly I would rather be home than worrying about menu cost and my pets at the kennel.
    When I stay home. I get the whole quiet neighborhood to myself. July used to be creepy around here because auto shut down and everyone vacationed at once.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Call me weird ( ) but I`m foolish enough to say something rediculous instead. Like, lion taming. Or building a shed from toothpicks. Something crazy, so they have to look at you funny and try to figure out if you`re serious or not.

Alternatively, you could tell them something serious that makes their luxury vacations sound selfish. Tell them you`re going to spend your summer reading to children in the cancer ward at the hospital, or working at a soup kitchen for the homeless. Though if you do say that, it`s probably best if you actually, you know, do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Be proud of your choices for summer!! You are indeed the wise one and should be excited about your plans!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNada View Post
    Call me weird ( ) but I`m foolish enough to say something rediculous instead. Like, lion taming. Or building a shed from toothpicks. Something crazy, so they have to look at you funny and try to figure out if you`re serious or not.

Alternatively, you could tell them something serious that makes their luxury vacations sound selfish. Tell them you`re going to spend your summer reading to children in the cancer ward at the hospital, or working at a soup kitchen for the homeless. Though if you do say that, it`s probably best if you actually, you know, do it.
    LOL! I love both of these ideas, LN!

What ever happened to kids just playing in tbheir back yard or in the neighborhood with other kids? (my kids did, and I did!) It teaches them to get creative and make up games and stuff. Or taking them to the park with a picnic basket? Or playing with the hose, or sprinkler?

Everybody thinks they have to go somewhere to have someone entertain them all the time.

Don't let these people get to you. They could very possibly just be trying to make conversation. I've come to that conclusion about some conversations I've had like this with people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast