Bed Bugs and the Unknown
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Bed Bugs and the Unknown

Well, I have started freaking myself out about bed bugs. So much that any misquito bit I immediately think I have bed bugs. Then I talk myself down and tell myself that is not the case.

I think what has me thinking about them more is that I am traveling to NYC and they have been having more incidents with them. I have stopped thinking about renting a room in the city. I question taking public transporation even though it is my only way of getting around. Even the idea of shopping in the city gets nixed because I think I could bring home the nasty critters.

Anyone else thinking this way? Am really trying to keep the critters away from my place. Know that there is a possibility of it happening. What is everyone else thinking about this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm supposed to go to NYC in November and I'm a little wary of it also. My Mom was supposed to go too and has about backed out for fear of bringing them home. Even if you didn't bring them home, it still would be creepy to be bitten by them at night while visiting NYC. I don't know if I'm going to go or not...gotta decide by Thursday though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DD is taking her senior trip this coming March to NYC with a couple of teachers and about 15 other students. I am already a bit freaked about the whole bed bug thing. I really do not want her bringing home a suitcase full of critters, but do not know what can reasonably be done to try and prevent it.

Not going is not an option. She is SGA president and one of only 30 (out of 600) seniors invited by the school administration to participate in this trip. Guess I will need to educate her on bed bugs. What to look for, what they look like, where they like to hide, etc...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

if you do a google search there is plenty you can do to watch out for them. not put suitcases on floor - check matresses etc

i checked the matresses of the motel we stayed at in hershey this summer and in OC too .

technically i go into alot of peoples homes for work - some not the cleanest either - but i just have certain rules- dont put my bag on floor or soft furniture sit on hard wood chair vs couch etc in homes that are questionable or not sit at all in some .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have out breaks seems like every 6 or 7 years. They lay low for awhile then they come back big time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would check the matress and also when come home do not bring anything into the house take straight to laundrymat and was and dry everything and anything not washable put in a sealed bag to quarentine it till you are sure nothing has hitched a ride home...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is kinda like the head lice thing You don't start itching till someone mentions it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Molemommy View Post
    I would check the matress and also when come home do not bring anything into the house take straight to laundrymat and was and dry everything and anything not washable put in a sealed bag to quarentine it till you are sure nothing has hitched a ride home...
    This is what I was going to say. But if a laundrymat isn't available, I'd dump everything into the washer and dryer immediately, and take her luggage outside, and wipe it inside and out with lysol, and then spray w/lysol too. Keep it sitting outside in direct sun to dry, and chase out anything that might be in there.

But I did want to mention though, that alot of the reports might be just a little "played up" by the media. I have alot of friends, and 2 brothers with families who live in NYC, and nobody has had a problem yet. So.....

Hope your DD has a blast! Well, I KNOW she will, it's the greatest city on earth, and I'm almost jealous. And I think I'm getting homesick writing this LOL!

I'm sure things will be fine!!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unfortunately, I rarely get the opportunity to travel and never very far anymore, so I am not very concerned about it. I do pay close attention when visiting thrift stores, though.

I hope you have a safe and bug-free trip!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kinda does make you wary of thrifts also...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we had plans to attend the Macy's parade - not going!! not after the nike store was closed!

then we thought, hm, lets go to chicago for their thanksgiving parade...no go! bed bugs there too!!!! eeewww..

i just am terrified of briinging them home! i read a few articles of people who spent nearly 10,000 (you heard me, 10K large) to get rid of them in their homes after travelling!! no way, no how am i going that route!!!