Generic Diapers VS Cloth Diapers???
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Arrow Generic Diapers VS Cloth Diapers???

We are debating which to use for #3. I've used both in the past. I'm looking into the adjustable AIO diapers so in theory since they are adjustable the baby shouldn't grow out of them. They are about 20.00 a piece. I probably need 15-20 right? Is that going to be a cheaper option do yall think? The cheapest disposables I can find is walmart brand and still overall going to cost a fortune, I know it did when mine were little! Did you cloth diaper or disposable? Did you save? What are good cloth diaper brands?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Congrats on expecting #3!
    I've cloth diapered all 3 of my kids and love them! I know alot of people try out 5 or more brands and types before they find what they love but I was completely satisfied with my first choice, Motherease one size dipes. If you buy about 20 new with 4 covers in each size you'll spend about $400. But you can sell them when you're done with them and get back about $100-200. You can get discounts by buying new on Ebay. A lot of people buy them and wash them and end up not using them at all. I bought some this way at 25% off for my baby.
    I also bought some AIO's from Motherease. They're cute, convenient and well made but the only blow-outs we've had have been in those. I think it's because they are snap and not velcro. Velcro is a must for getting the snuggest fit.
    If you have access to a sewing machine I HIGHLY recommend you make some using the Fern And Faerie tutorial posted here: Sewing FItteds . I modified the pattern with larger front flaps for my 80th percentile baby. I've been very pleased with how cheap, easy to sew and functional these dipes are. I'd be happy to send you a copy of my modified patterns if you'd like. These are level 1, beginner friendly things to make, after all, they're poo catchers! I use the F&F dipes with Motherease Airflow covers. I plan to get some waterproof fabric(PUL) to use for the outer layer in some large F&F dipes I'm making. This will make them AIO but will raise the cost from $.50 per diaper to $3 per diaper.
    Homemade diapers have very little, if any, resale value so factor that in when you decide what to do.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I applaud you [and anyone else] who is willing to use cloth diapers. It's better than all that plastic trash going into our landfills.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used the prefolds, flats and covers for mine. They never grow out of them, they are adjustable (the flats) for a newborn, and the covers are cheap enough. Walmart diapers are great for travelling and when mom is sick, but other than that I used cloth for both my boys. My younger son is training now and in walmart diapers because it's easier for him to get them off when he goes

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got the most mileage out of basic prefolds and cheap vinyl wraps. I didn't like any of the aio or fitteds that we tried, and every cover except vinyl leaked.

Plus I'm still using the prefolds for cleaning. They're especially handy if you need to absorb a large amount of liquid - very useful when our basement flooded.
    Last edited by monkeywrangler71; 12-24-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried cloth diapers and none of them were for me. I know it takes time and patience to find a brand you like, but as far as I know there isn't any brand that wasn't going to require cleaning poop and loads of extra laundry. I did try several brands and I used cloth for a few weeks but it never really stuck. It was a money sink for me, but the diapers were super cute so I didn't feel so bad.

The cost comparisons always used the worst case scenario when comparing diapers... I always bought generics, either WM, Target or Walgreens on sale. The amount I spend on diapers didn't really justify the extra time and money I spent on cloth.

They have a chart showing how much you need. I think 15-20 is on the low end, since tiny babies can be changed 10 times a day. Twenty wouldn't give you much room for error, you know? If you get sick or get behind on your laundry, you're done for.

You might try diaper swappers or hyena cart for buying used diapers.
    How Many Cloth Diapers Do I Need?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Funny you should ask as I am currently making some. My dd(who is NOT expecting) is getting married and was telling me when she has babies she wants to cloth and sent me a link to the AIO PUL flannel covered diaper.

After 3 tries I finally blended a bunch of online patterns and got our diaper down. It will cost me about $7 per diaper to make them and that includes the prefold store bought diaper, the PUL fabric from Hancock fabric store and the outer flannel as well as the velcro and elastic.

If you have a sewing machine and some time to perfect the diaper you want for your baby, sewing them yourself could save you..well by your math $13 a diaper or 3 for the price of one.

Perhaps you have a sewer in the family if you don't sew like my dd does. I figure I have plenty of time to buy fabrics and diapers and PUL as I can afford it and sew at my leisure.

Google AIO diaper patterns. You can get them for free. Also AIO tutorials on youtube really teach a lot. I bought a diaper cover pattern for $1.99 onsale from Hobby Lobby and used it as my main diaper pattern and besides it has other baby items with the pattern.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used both. While I was in NC right after my daughter was born I used cloth.You tend to go through more diapers right after the baby is born than a few months later. Right in the begining I was going through 28 a day and washing every day. ( i finally figured that a pad on the inside is awsome so when its just poops you can change the pad) I used a microfiber pad and prefold on the inside of a cover most of the time. I had soft well water there.

When I moved to MD we had city water which smells like swimming pool it is so highly clorinated. Not to mention the cost of the water is extremely high. So we had used parents choice on the trip so it ended up being the diapers used.

You have to weigh the pros and cons of your situation weither the cost will be ok. Hot water is needed to was properly in most cases and multiple washes so the diapers are fully rinsed. The detergent or washing additives. Drying in the dryer takes longer than other clothes in some cases. If your line drying you may want more diapers so you can give drying time. Washing folding stuffing in some cases takes time. If your have to rely on daycare some will not allow cloth and others charge additional.

If I had the option i would have kept my daughter on cloth, but with situations changing so did the diapers i used. Now my daughter is in panties. The outers went to a family in need that wanted to cloth diaper along with the inners/prefolds with no stains. The prefolds with a few stains and mirofiber are still used for cleaning. Cloth diapers are really a case of reduse reuse recycle once the use for prefolds are done you can use them for so many other things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I decided to for sure cloth diaper. So far I bought 25 AIOs for about 150.00 including additional inserts, they are adjustable 8-40 lbs. I've been researching for days and was getting discouraged at cloth diaper prices but that seems very reasonable. I plan on getting a few more but it's a great start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The initial cost of CD's can be discouraging, but buying a few at a time takes the sting out. I am a member of diaperswappers and I have purchased many pre-loved diapers there and it gave me a chance to try the out for pretty cheap. I finally decided on bumGenius All In One One Size CD (Elementals) and they work great! I can usually catch a good sale going on on Cotton Babies or other sites.
    I was not going to use CD's this go around since DH didn't like them as much (I used prefolds and wraps with DD1), but it seemed DD was blowing out of all of the sposies I tried. So we have been in them since DD was 2 months old and they work great! I do have to strip them from time to time, but I find Rocking Green to be the best detergent for them without getting stinkies. Even though DD is 11 months old and since starting solids doesn't seem to blow out as much, it's just second nature for us and I love them! I do use a night time sposie at night - but I did that with DS1 and DD2. YAY for CD's! Also, let us know if you have any questions with prepping them or regular maintenance

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have several friends who swear by bumGenius.

We have never had enough washer/dryer/drying rack capacity to make cloth diapers worth while. I would only be doing diapers all day every day with the compact washer we have right now. Unless I stayed up all night to get regular laundry done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used cloth diapers. I used prefold and flat and they never outgrew them. You just fold the flat ones differently and use prefold for the middle.
    IMHO who cares if diapers are cute??? $400 omg that is outrageous.
    If I had to do it all over again I'd do the same thing. Just figure out how many disposables you'd go through in 2-1/2 - 3 years and no filling up landfills that people do not seem to care.
    I put the dirty diapers into a diaper pail filled with water; when it was full I'd put them in the washer and spin out the water; add bleach and laundry soap. Done. Really not as bad as people think.