DD1 and I are Canvassing Door-to-Door Today
    QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default DD1 and I are Canvassing Door-to-Door Today

When in high school (a little over 15 years ago), I particpated in canvassing door-to-door for the Canadian Cancer Society. I really enjoyed it! People saying they weren't interested or making their reasons why they weren't going to donate didn't bother me at all. (I guess I have a weird personality.). I'd just keep on going and do my best. I completed one canvassing package, so I went to the school office to get another one. ...Yes, I'm unique! Haha!

Anyways, DD1's school is participating in the Jump Hope for Heart (thru the Heart and Stroke Foundation). Already (through family) we're at $100 in donations. A couple more family members says they will also donate when they visit at Easter.

When I told DD1 my idea about canvassing with me door-to-door to raise more money for the charity, she seemed really excited. We're planning on heading out around 9:30 this morning. We'll have to take our umbrellas with us since it's raining.

There are prizes for the student depending on the amount you raise. DD1 is, of course, very excited about this...she's 7 years old. Every morning at breakfast she'll sit with the prize brochure in front of her. I'm trying to explain that we're not raising money so that she gets a prize; we're doing it to help the Heart and Stroke Foundation and that the prizes are just a bonus for the students.

Wish us luck! I've never canvassed with a child beside me, but I've been reading online that you are more successful.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going door to door we raised $166; so now in total we're at $266. We were out for a total of 2 hours or so. Thankfully it didn't rain until we were done. DD1 wants to canvass some more tomorrow. We had a good time together today. Definately a good way to help out a charity and get exercise and some fresh air.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

....and bonding time with DD and reinforcing values - you are both winners!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    ....and bonding time with DD and reinforcing values - you are both winners!!
    Thanks, MM. It's true. It was fun holding hands with her and walking door to door talking.

We went back out for about one hour this afternoon and raised another $135 bringing the total to $401! Even though DD1 has beat her goal (being the "highest" amount in the category of thank you prizes), she wants to go back out and raise more money. I think she's getting a high of people handing us money...even though she knows it's going to the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Very cute. I'll keep you updated with the totals.