Big brute-ish thug wandering our neighborhood
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Big brute-ish thug wandering our neighborhood

So over the last few days, we've had some "incidents" in our town with a couple of big thugs wandering around causing trouble. Yesterday, I caught the bugger in the act, called the authorities, grabbed the shotgun and went after one of them. Of course, when my dog barked at him, he ran off into the bush and I couldn't find him.

We've had 2 big black bears running through town knocking over garbage cans and breaking into sheds. They started coming in on Sunday, we found one of our cans ripped apart when we got home from the cabin, a neighbor 2 doors down had some pictures of one of them eating garbage right outside the back window, and another friend across town got a few pictures of another walking right down the middle of the street.

Yesterday morning, I let the dogs outside to go to the bathroom, and my "fearless" outdoor dog made an immediate circle and came back inside. Found out later that a few minutes later, one was chewing on garbage at the house across the street. So for the last few days, our little girl (and all her friends) have been confined inside on these beautiful summer days.

The conservation officers had been called and have a bear trap set up in the bush right by our backyard. I called their office yesterday and talked to the CO, he *strongly* recommended that I not shoot it, but could if threatened as long as I was aware (which of course I am) that I am 100% responsible for the shot and anything that happens after. He gave me his personal cell number and told be to call and he'd be over in under 5 minutes.

So I got home from work yesterday, and happened to be in the kitchen when I saw something big and black disappearing behind the garage, moving from the backyard to the front. I got on the phone and called the CO, said he'd be right over. I went down to the front door (actually on the side of the house) and saw him come around the side of the garage and sniff the garbage cans. Big ugly looking bugger, probably 350 lbs+ with thinning hair, kinda sickly looking. My big dog saw him too and let out a little "ruff" before I told him to be quiet. Bear looked at us through the window on the door, about 8 ft away, turned and started walking back to the bush.

A few minutes later, the CO still wasn't there, so I unlocked the shotgun, threw a couple of slugs in it, and went cautiously around the house to see if he was still around. I also yelled at the neighbor across the street to make sure her kids were inside, that the bear was right there. I wandered into the backyard to make sure he was gone, which he was. I checked the trap and came back to the yard and finally met the CO there at my door. He wasn't entirely pleased that I had the shotgun with me, but it wasn't his yard where his children and pets play, so he understood my position. Besides, he was carrying his 12 gauge...

He went off into the bush to see if he could see any sign of him, came back after a little while and told me there were two in town causing trouble. He said that because they had been in the last few days consistently, and were no longer showing any fear of people or dogs, that it was definitely a problem bear and would have to be put down if it didn't wander into the traps.

So now we wait. Poor little girl is missing summer because of these big trouble makers. But still, I'd much rather put up with them than worry about some crackhead trying to steal my car or break into my house.

So that's my story from yesterday. The joys of living in the middle of the forest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know much about bears. Would an electrical fence help? At all? I would think a zap on the nose would be a deterrent. Don't know if that's in your budget though.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where was the camera?
    ~Russ

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for putting that into perspective for me. I have big dogs but I'm still afraid of the unpredictability of bears, mostly that they'll hurt one of my dogs. I LOVE the forest and have an affinity for it the way some people stare longingly at the sea, but I think my daydreams do not include marauding bears. Good luck and I hope no harm comes to you, your family, or your dogs (or that bear either).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have heard that if you put moth balls around where you don't want them they stay away..... since I am in kind of a city... we don't get bear but we get Monitor Lizzards and gator ( I live on brackish water)... and you don't want one of those things in your yard

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    I don't know much about bears. Would an electrical fence help? At all? I would think a zap on the nose would be a deterrent. Don't know if that's in your budget though.
    We have a chain link fence that we JUST bought off the neighbors (they replaced it with a wood fence so we got about 200 ft of chain link, poles and gates for $50) that we have yet to put up. These are lazy dump bears (the dump is about 800-900 yds from our house) so if there was any kind of inconvenience above opening a garbage can or pushing the door in on a light tin shed, they'd look elsewhere. The chain link itself would likely be more than enough deterrent.

I actually didn't know that our garbage cans were full, my wife threw the garbage in them before we left for the cabin on Friday. If I had known, I would have put them in the garage. My wife now knows better as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Where was the camera?
    lol it was downstairs, just a little farther away from the door than the shotgun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by OOwl View Post
    Thanks for putting that into perspective for me. I have big dogs but I'm still afraid of the unpredictability of bears, mostly that they'll hurt one of my dogs. I LOVE the forest and have an affinity for it the way some people stare longingly at the sea, but I think my daydreams do not include marauding bears. Good luck and I hope no harm comes to you, your family, or your dogs (or that bear either).
    Big dogs are still an incredible bear deterrent. Bears, typically, do not want anything to do with dogs and will generally run away. The problem develops when they get dependant on garbage, lose their hunting and foraging skills, and get weak and sick. They lose their natural fear of people and dogs and go after the easy meal. The "inconvenience" of a barking, snarling dog isn't enough to drive them away from the calories they need to fatten up for winter, and they swat back. When they get to point, they are no longer "agressive" so much as "desperate", and basically defend themselves rather than actually attack.

It would definitely be better if they could catch them and relocate them, but failing that, it would be better that they be put down rather than injure (or worse) young kids or to a (slightly) lesser extent, pets.

I still love everything about living in the middle of the bush. It's generally only once or twice a year we have a concern, typically after they've pushed over and buried the piles at the dump and the "dump bears" lose their food source. At any given time, we can go down to the "zoo" and see between 5 and 20 bears chewing on pizza boxes and diapers (not really sure why they do that, but they seem to have some sort of strange affinity for diapers).

My little girl is pretty scared to go outside right now, my wife is a little nervous. For the most part, black bears are like big raccoons, if you yell at them and wave your arms they'll run away. When they are in this condition, if they don't run away, they'll typically just look at you for a second, then go back to eating your garbage. Later in the year when the weather gets colder and they get really desperate, there can be big problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KimZ View Post
    I have heard that if you put moth balls around where you don't want them they stay away..... since I am in kind of a city... we don't get bear but we get Monitor Lizzards and gator ( I live on brackish water)... and you don't want one of those things in your yard
    Might be worth a try, and probably work well against truly "wild" bears, but these guys are used to ripping open garbage bags at the dump and eating all kinds of crazy things.

I think I'd rather have bears in my yard than ML or gators!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We used to see them wandering around in the summers back home when I grew up. We lived across from a blueberry hill and they frequently found themselves in our yard, at least once a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You need:

The BEAR PATROL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've had one stopping by off and on this summer and raiding the bird feeders. Our apples have mysteriously disappeared, too. And the strawberries.

So far our bears don't bother the trash cans very much, for which we're grateful. We do put the cans in the garage when we plan to be gone overnight though.

I read somewhere that once a bear finds food one time, it will return up to forty times to see if it can get food there again. They also teach their cubs where to look for food, so it becomes a generational problem if not nipped in the bud.

Raccoons are just as tenacious and also teach their young where to look for food.

We're currently considering an electric fence but haven't yet decided.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I read somewhere that once a bear finds food one time, it will return up to forty times to see if it can get food there again. They also teach their cubs where to look for food, so it becomes a generational problem if not nipped in the bud.
    Geeze...just like people. But critters are easier to deal with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And I thought racoons eating my sweet corn was a problem...I'll take them any day over bears

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Ugh, that stinks!
    I'm so terrified of bears. I live in the suburbs of a city in NJ and we had a bear just down the street a couple of weeks ago. All they need is connected wooded areas to travel distances and stay out of sight. Now I'm kinda glad they tore out the wooded lot behind my house. ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast