Rant about school supplies
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Rant about school supplies

I know there have already been a few threads about school supplies, how expensive they are, etc. We did our supply shopping this week, and I am just absolutely peeved.
    One of the supplies on DS's list is a particular type of notebook that is not sold anywhere reasonable. The ONLY place this supply can be purchased is at a speciality stationary store. We found this out after checking Staples, Walmart, Zellers, Canadian Tire and the Dollarama to no avail. We asked the manager at Staples, and he said in previous years they carried them because a lot of schools used them, but now most schools use just regular notebooks and they stopped purchasing them for their stock. We called the school up, and they told us 'oh you can get it at the stationary store downtown, we've had a few other parents call and ask about this too'.
    So we go to this store, and the notebooks are $3.00 each. DS needs 4 of them. $3.00 for 4 notebooks that have about 75 pages in each one. The ONLY thing special about the notebooks is that each page is half blank half lined.
    I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I want to call up the school, go there and speak to the teacher, and ask her where she gets off requiring each student to spend $12.00 for 300 sheets of paper when a pack of loose leaf can be purchased on sale for 19 cents. For 25 students that's $300 worth of notebooks. I want to, but likely won't. I think I just needed to rant about it to get it off my chest so that I can stop stressing out about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was a child we had supplies that you had to go to a certain in town only store to buy some of it. You had to go to several stores just to get the required things on the list.

Oh I love that paper you had to buy.

The bottom half is for the story and the top half is for the illustration. I have several of these from when my children were younger. Great keep sakes for their writing and stories. So much fun to go back and look at.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My child's Kindergarten teacher printed off the pages and stuck them together for the kids. Worked just fine. If the teacher wants you to provide it for your student, then you could find a place online that allows you to print it off with the correct number of lines below the white space and do it yourself. I would print off the 75 sheets of practice paper (because that's what it is), hole punch them and send them to school that way. Maybe print on both sides. That would be cheaper than buying them (depending on your printer) and might be a way to "protest" without confronting the teacher.

Or take a normal priced, regular notebook and using a marker or pen, reline the bottom half of the pages into the practice style. Time consuming but it might make the point.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We pay book rental for public school K-12 here in Indiana so for 4 kids book rental runs about $700. School supplies that are difficult to find, such as this specific notebook, is sometimes ordered by the school and included in book rental. I do remember in years past having to purchase certain dry erase markers are $12 a pack and even certain watercolors once for $8. I usually end up spending close to $1000 for book rental and school supplies to send 4 kids back to school. That doesn't include clothing, shoes, backpacks or lunchboxes either. Ridiculous.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lottaLove - I just saw those in the back to school supplies section at the WalMart the other day! Keep hunting! It may be just in your town, are you able to hop across and scour the Ottawa area? Tip - check in the regular notebook/note pad section in addition to the section by the front doors.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Would that be a Hilroy #12150

I was all over town looking for them. Our staples carries them but they were sold out and told me they weren't getting anymore - happened to be back in this morning for something else and they had three boxes of them.

Both my kids' teachers asked for 40 page scribblers, which are about $2 each, even though every store in the country sells the 32 page scribblers at 4 for 25¢.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dancemommy View Post
    We pay book rental for public school K-12 here in Indiana so for 4 kids book rental runs about $700. School supplies that are difficult to find, such as this specific notebook, is sometimes ordered by the school and included in book rental. I do remember in years past having to purchase certain dry erase markers are $12 a pack and even certain watercolors once for $8. I usually end up spending close to $1000 for book rental and school supplies to send 4 kids back to school. That doesn't include clothing, shoes, backpacks or lunchboxes either. Ridiculous.
    Wow I thought that you were talking about private school, because in my area that is what it would could, you don't rent books, in my area some school, the kids would get school books but they would be kept at school and if they had any homework they would get paperwork on it and you do your homework on the paper.

The school would not allow the books to leave the new school.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my pet peeve is when they ask for name brand paper towels and diaper wipes ( for hands / desks cleaning without chemicals ) - my kids didnt get name brand on their bottoms why does a desk need it !