Single parent, Full time employee, Part time college student
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Single parent, Full time employee, Part time college student

Hello. I am a single mother of a soon to be 11 year old son. I work full time at an insurance company and while wanting to go back to school (since having my son, I've tried it several times, but either life issues happened...I got breast cancer or my father died...or since buying my house, just trying to keep up w/ IT not to mention my son and his activities...its been impossible). In the past my company would pay up to $325 per course (most courses still cost $1000, so still a huge out of pocket) up to 6 courses a year but today they announced that the first of the year they would begin to pay a flat $5000 per year for college classes. In the past, I kind of conceded to give up being that I am 47 and I am more concerned about saving for my son's college, but NOW I feel like the company is actually offering to PAY us to go to school and I feel like I would be leaving $5000 per year of added income. I only have 6 classes to complete my bachelors and the $5000 per year would pay up to approx. 12 credit hours a year. I feel bad asking this as I know there are people that are FAR worse off than me, but if you did, HOW did you manage being a single parent, work full time and go to school part time as well as maintain the house and the family? Also, what would YOU do if you were me? Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Get your education! Good luck...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was a single mom of two boys, worked full time and went to school when my kids were about your sons age. It was tough, but knowing it was temporary helped.

I had to be very organized to make it work. I did the grocery shopping Friday night, cooked all my meals for the week on Sunday and did all the laundry Saturday night and Sunday. I reheated meals during the week, and used a lot of bagged salad and baby carrots for vegetables. We cleaned the house on Saturday together. Anything I could do to be ready for the work/school week.

I studied at night, and sometimes in the morning before work.

It was absolutely worth it, but tough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Seriously, you should look at Western Governors University ( WGU Online University | Online Degree Programs, Accredited Bachelor's and Master's ). It is 100% online, fits your employer $$ amounts for most programs, and (best part) is totally asynchronous - meaning you can go to school at YOUR convenience, no mandatory web chats or anything else.
    I did my BSN degree through them last year, and am almost finished with my masters. (Yes, they are fully accredited)
    OH, and they are non-profit, so you will not be hounded by some sales person.
    If you are interested, as an alumnus I can get the $65 application fee waived for you. PM me and I can give you details.

PS I'm 56 - you're never too old!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did the same when my son was about your age. Organization and SLEEP are key. If you get overtired, it is easy to neglect every aspect of your life. You CAN do this!! Good luck and it is sooo worth it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a single full time working mom and the thought of going back to school has crossed my mind but honestly I get overwhelmed with life now, nevermind adding on classes.

But it can be done. Get organized, talk to your son about helping you with every day chores. Put a realistic schedule together ahead of time and see if you can actually do it. Take once class and see how that goes and if it goes well add a second class next semester.

If you want it, you can do it. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I would do it if it was only 6 classes and as your are not suffering burn out. Your son is 10 he can wash clothes and run a vacuum. I think routine and simplicity is the key to success. cooking on weekends, eating all week. Sammies are ok and so is frozen pizza every once in while. keep your house work simple and do laundry one day a week. get up early to study worked for me rather than setting up late and weekends are your friends do as much then. ASK for help when u need it a best friend and mom or granny. If u can .. good luck..