Planning a trip to Oahu *advice*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Planning a trip to Oahu *advice*

And nope this is not frugal at all

We are looking at booking a trip for the 4 of us to Oahu the first part of April. We have never been but this island has been recommended and my DH really wants to visit Pearl Harbor. We would have a week.

We would have a rental car as well.

Would love any suggestions on what to do/see/etc.

2 adults, 12 year old, 8 year old.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pearl Harbor is an absolute must! It's been nearly eight years since I've been, but Pearl Harbor was definitely the highlight! We did a bus tour it was long, but enjoyable. If you're into it, a helicopter tour of the island would be nice.

We also did a dinner cruise in the evening, it was beautiful! While you're there, you have to check out the beach, maybe a luau, and of course, shopping.

I hope you all have a wonderful time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Helicopter tour. Eek. My DH would totally do that but me, not so much

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Arizona Memorial, Waimea Falls Botanical Garden, and the Polynesian Cultural Center (the last one is pricey but we thought it was worth it) You might want to do a luau too. Most major hotels regularly have luaus. A dinner cruise or a cruise where they take you snorkeling is fun. I'll post again if I think of more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my dh and i are thinking of going in july or august. so i will also be watching this thread. thanks ahead of time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can do a submarine trip At waikiki beach it was very fun. Also take a hike up to Diamond Head. The Polinesean Villiage is a must,it's so great. Definately do a Laura there too! Helicopter tour is great view of the waterfalls. Go to the Dole plantation. Also its so great they have pineapple ice cream yummmy! A cool maze too! Enjoy!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great suggestions - did anyone mention the Aquarium - it's small and yet delightful. Where are you staying?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Great suggestions - did anyone mention the Aquarium - it's small and yet delightful. Where are you staying?
    Haven't got it booked yet. Probably a resort as we want pool(s) for the kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We hiked up Diamond Head- it was beautiful. You come up out of the rocks and there you are- on top of the world.It is beautiful.We went snorkeling in the crystal clear waters of Hanauma Bay. You can visit Sacred Falls, people watch at Waikiki Beach, visit Kaneohe Bay and see China Man's Hat.I enjoyed heading north to Turtle Bay and watching the surfers.Have a wonderful time!Take good walking shoes.There are lots of little things you can do- parasailing, boat trips around the island.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my non frugal days I visited Oahu ...ALOT!! I can pretty much tell you what you might want to know. But pm me with questions. Honestly I've been there probably 15 or more times..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went in 07. We loved Pearl Harbor, diamond head and punch bowl. Also a snorkling cruise, Helicopter tour. Pineapple plantation. Don't laugh but we Loved Matsumoto shaved ice on the North shore. We drove there 2 days in a roll to get it. Dh and I would like to go back wished we could this year for our 25th wedding Anv. I don't think we will be able to this year. Have fun. TC

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

no advice on hawaii, but, my advice is this...you are on vacation, so enjoy it! enjoy your family time and have no worries!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is FABULOUS info! We, too, are headed to Hawaii in June. Not frugal, either, but fully paid for in cash! Whoop whoop!

We have 3 kids, and want to do it all! lol Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. And great post idea! We are so excited!

-Vanessa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My favorites..... THE NORTH SHORE!!! Haleiwa and it's surfer aura. You can rent kayaks up there and paddle down the river, have lunch at one of their many restaurants and finish off with shave ice at Matsumotos...(be brave try the azuki beans at the bottom!) Check out the surf shops in the area! Love the windward side Waimanalo! Stop and have lunch at the local drive in, Kenekes. Pick up at the window and take it to the nearby park! Snorkel at Hanauma Bay! That is one of the most incredible things I have ever done! Hike Hike Hike!!!! Then make sure you leave plenty of time for laying on the beach! Hawaii is one of places I love absolutely most! Doesn't matter which island I go to, I have a great time! Just remember that Waikiki and the Honolulu area is a very large populated area. It is NOT remote!!! You will find areas like that on the other islands, but Oahu is for the active!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Eat at Soon's BBQ in the Salt Lake Shopping Center (it's a mile or two from the airport) - I lived on Oahu for 12 years and that's one of the things I miss most! (Seriously...I could have just had dinner, then drive past that place and I was hungry all over again!)

Have some malasadas from Leonard's.

Sunday brunch at The Oceanarium in Pacific Beach Hotel was always very good (the Oceanarium is a 280,000 gallon fish tank -- has tropical fish and stingrays, used to have divers feeding the fish on regular intervals - I hear customers can do this now).

Germaine's Luau was good, but I thought the one at the Hale Koa was better.

If you want to buy souvenirs, go to the swap meet at the Aloha Stadium -- everything you could possibly want and prices were better there.

If you're going to the North Shore, Mokuleia Beach is pretty and was usually less crowded.

Spend some time away from the tourist traps - check out places and events that the locals go to.

Some websites you might find interesting:

Hawaii Events Online: HawaiiEventsOnline.com: Your Complete Source for Things to Do in Hawaii

101 Free ( or almost free) Things to Do on Oahu: 101 Free (or under $10) Things to Do on Oahu

101 Cheap-or-FREE Fun Things To Do in Oahu: FREE or Cheap Things To Do in Oahu: Making Oahu More Affordable – Part 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast