Hubby had sticker shock!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hubby had sticker shock!

For the first time in at least 6 months, my husband went grocery shopping with me today. I thought the poor man was going to have a heart attack at the price of everything. First we went to the "cheap" grocery store. He has never cared for most of their foods. He also had no idea how much of our food actually comes from there, especially when money is extra tight for groceries.Then we went to the "more expensive" store. There are some things I won't buy at any other store based on the quality of the items.He was appalled that meat costs so much at either store. And then we hit the peanut butter aisle. I had some stocked up but Hubby Dearest and Boy aged 2 have been having early morning peanut butter fests on the weekends so its going quickly. A 4 pound jar cost 5.99 before January. Store brand. Today, same jar, 8.49. Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor! Anyhoo.. Hubby now understands what I buy where, and why. And also why we are eating a lot of the same foods over and over. No room in the budget for shrimp or lobster tails or baby back ribs right now, dear one!

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good... he will understand what is really going on. It can be very frustrating to feel like you have say $200 on food and the family expects a certain 'level' of meals, and the prices are skyrocketing. Everyone should know how much food costs, so they can adjust their expectations.

I always tell DH when something goes up in price. Eggs went up by another 12% this weekend and I made sure he knew that. He only ate one egg today instead of two. So I think it's a good thing that they realize what we shoppers/cooks are up against!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sticker shock has been slapping me around as well. I went to purchase some things at the Safeway that I can not get elsewhere and *slap*.

Our Aldi's prices have been fairly consistent so far this season so I buy my staples when I can.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User butterflywatcher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ha ha! Good! My husband complains here and there that we don't have any snacks in the house. Plus he would like it if I would buy ribs more often. And he would like a lot of frozen stuff in the house like pizzas, TV dinners and burritos, multiple bags of chips, tons of pop and juice, cookies (Oreos and Chips Ahoy), three or four different kinds of lunch meat, bacon, sausage, beef jerkey, etc, etc. He has no idea that if I bought all that was on his request list, plus things we need and stuff for actual meals, instead of spending my normal $115 - $130 a week for our family of five, it would be well over $200, closer to $250 probably.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The cost of groceries is just ridiculous. Jif peanut butter 2 pk., 40 oz jars $12.99...just ridiculous.

Every now & then my dh will be with me when I shop and I hate it!!!! He always and I do mean always sticks crud in the cart that's not on the list and it drives me nuts. Which is why I avoid having him with me when I grocery shop if at all possible.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny :
    Change :

2020 Coupon Savings and Perks Challenge:
    $172.82

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Butterfly, a lot of the things you mentioned can be made at home without all the preservatives for a lot less. If you can do something cheaply, you may not have to do without completely.

Why not give your husband the list of must-haves and the money to cover those things and only those things, send him to the store, and see how he does? It would be a real eye-opener for him.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We've been getting slapped around here too. I don't know how people with kids can afford to eat.

My DH likes to throw snacks in the cart, too, and I hesitate to take him with me for that reason. He can add $20 to the bill in moments. I've been trying to get him involved in making his own snacks. Last night we shopped for and made granola bars. He can also do his own beef jerky.

I've been explaining the price hikes to him. There are certain things I won't buy unless it is on sale, eggs peanut butter, english muffins, meat.... He wants fresh berries every week, but I told him he's not getting it if those little clamshells are over 1.99.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband is pretty clueless on grocery prices as well. And he grumps when we have spaghetti quite often.

He doesn't understand why I don't buy all of the "extras" I used to buy.

We have an almost 3 year old and I try and buy fresh fruits for him, which cuts out hubby's ice cream and dessert treats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree...Kevin works away from home mostly...so he doesn't do the household grocery shopping...but the last time he did was to pick up 4L of skim milk, $4.79+25 cent depositand a 7 cent enviro fee, Johnsonville sausage(maple flavored), a loaf of 100% WW bread, and a newpaper...it came out to $13.50...He couldn't believe it...I told him it's the NEW reality...and can't justify spending $3.00 on a bag of chips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hubby is also in sticker shock and it is a good reality check.... I make more of my snacks now bake cookies, cake, or muffins... Ice cream is hardly ever bought have not bought any since Christmas..

Chips are only bought buy 1 get 1.. we eat microwave popcorn... I buy 4 12 packs of pop of sale 4 /10 or 11 or 2 liters store brand if 49. name brand if 1 or less.

bacon, steak, pot roast, ground chuck are only bought on sale. U can make burritos out of refired beans and cheese and freeze your self...
    Pizzas are easy enough to make my daughter and here friend made a couple last night with torilla shell, jarred pizza sauce, mozzerella, and canned mushrooms.. cheaper than going out healthier... I am like wow.. She told me I do that with canned biscuits and tortillas what ever I have.. quick easy and cheap..

every body is feeling the pinch now days.. I am going to go make bananna bread so we will have a sweet this week.. hugs to all

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

amen, i'm going to sav a lot today and will do a post about the prices there- haven't been in about 3/4 mths. hoping Ican get what I usually buy without being 'slapped around too much'.
    dh was fussing about how much it cost him (he is in another state)for just him and I'm thinking you try it here with shopping for 3. with our ds the bottomless pit. I will only buy chicken when it's on sale then i buy xtra and can it. same with eggs and when dh is down he's a 3 egg bkfast guy. we use them for baking, tuna salad, salad garnish. with milk, peanut butter, eggs prices going wild here (one local store with monopoly on priceing) we don't have a choice but to pay it or spend the gas budget driving 40 minutes to the walmart in the next town over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, it is scary out there.

I have been trying to make more from scratch. Just made breakfast cookies and banana bread. We do air popped popcorn which we probably have as a snack 3-4 days per week.

A gallon of organic milk at Alberstons last week was $7.49

Lately I am finding that I am using up some of my stock pile items and am not seeing any good stock up prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my sal trip: they have downsized the shelves so now there's more room and I'm as tall as the top shelf so I can 'peek' over now. (still found most of my list = didn't buy any soy sauce/heinz 57/a1)
    I got the following:
    1 flat diane's diced tomato .59ea
    1 flat diane's tomato sauce .59
    1 flat diane's tomato paste .69
    4 1# brown rice 1.19
    1 flat HH chili with beans (for homemade burritos and frito's chili/cheese bowls) 1.99 up from 1.29 last trip I bought
    3 1# bag great northern beans 1.99
    frozen; to dehydrate
    3 bags whole kernel corn 1.49
    3 bags green beans 1.49
    2 bags crowder pea's 1.49
    2 bags sweet peas 1.49
    all these had no added ingredients (crowder pea's had water)
    the canned versions even the low salt had too much for me.

found some whole wheat oats (at least I think that's what I bought- got the shakes in sal so did a quick shop trip to walmart-) now I know not to have a pb j and coffee before I go shopping... eat something substantial.

got always overnights 7.47 was up from 6.54 last time I purchased, toothpaste for dd to take to school (she has braces so needs to have one there also) 2/1.88 ea
    sara lee honey wheat bread 2.50 last time i bought it was 1.88.

forgot to look to see if they carried the foodsaver widemouth jar sealer that I need found mine while culling and it's a reg size...

while at Mal-mart I went to the chocolate isle OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no snacks for dd's lunch now- their 'snack' size snickers (use to be 8 pc) are now "NEW" smaller 6 pc for the same price, same with Almond joy, resees cups, hershey's milk chocolate, butter fingers... can't see the savings $1/6 vs the old $1/8... got to get my budd in SA to send me a care package (cocoa- I'll make my own chocolate)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post

got always overnights 7.47 was up from 6.54 last time I

Do you have a Dollar General in your area? I get the Always Overnights there for 5 something a bag. I think it's 5.50 but may be a little more.

I usually get those packs of 8 little candy bars at Dollar General for 1.00 too. I was in there this past week and noticed that they are now 6 in a pack and went up to 1.15! Luckily my mom is a HUGE coupon shopper and she bought out the after Christmas sales and used her coupons and stocked me up LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine went shopping with me about 2 weeks ago in Super Walmart. I found it very sad when he said, it's a shame when you want to buy something different to eat that you haven't had in awhile and it's priced way too high to even consider it.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast