The magic of a frugal lifestyle
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The magic of a frugal lifestyle

I admit that I have not always been the most frugal person on the planet. I grew up in a frugal household with the queen on frugal-ness as my mother. So it actually is ingrained in my psyche. But when I went out on my own into the world, and probably the first 15 years of my overall adulthood, I lived like all those others outside the village walls, to a degree.

While I never lived paycheck to paycheck, and always banked a huge amount of savings each week - I still lacked in the area of 'shopper-itis', wasteful and come on, you can do better than this.

About 10 yrs I began to rein my life in somewhat. And each year I got better and better at the process (to now what some consider 'a little over the top' when it comes to being frugal. But hey, I am completely happy with my lifestyle now so that is all that really matters, right?

The hubby on the other hand didn't always share my 'ways'. He thought, like the others, that I was just a little bit nuts. (And no, this is not what my interpretation of what I think he thought), he repeatedly told me I was nuts. But how do you stay angry at a guy that follows up with "But, I love you anyway."

So needless to say there was quite a bit of head-butting, and giving & taking going on thru the years.

But nowadays I have been noticing more and more that the hubby is peeking his head over the village walls. I don't mean visiting the forum (that will never happen). I mean there are little subtle signs, comments, actions, that have me believing that he finally realizes that 'yes, there is life after becoming frugal'.

So once you can get both partners on board and you find that you are making concentrated efforts to control spending & wastefulness you start to realize something really magical.

And it's such a simple small thing really. Something that you should have had all along, but it got lost in the madness of trying to live in today's world. it's called appreciation.

You start to appreciate all the little things (and big ones too) that you have and continue to take for granted every single day.

~When you stop eating out- every restaurant meal tastes like the best meal in the world.
    ~When you stop wasting money at the grocery- that bag of Doritos that you splurged for lasts longer than a day and tastes just awesome with every single chip.
    ~When you turn the heat back to save on utilities- you really notice and appreciate those sunny days that you let warm sun shine in.
    ~When you turn up the A/C- summer breezes become little gifts from heaven.
    ~When you stop buying new clothes every other week- you start to take better care of the items you already own
    ~When you don't fall for every new technology that comes into existence - you begin to realize that the world truly did exist (and thrive) before Facebook & Twitter came onto the scene.

and on and on and on....

A perfect example for us will be this evening. I have a free Redbox code for a DVD movie. Now it's only $1.50 to rent one, it wouldn't make or break us. But the point here is this -

I could rent Redbox movies every single day if I wanted to, in fact - I could rent dozens of them...but here's the thing - We stopped wasting our money on renting dozens of movies...in fact we rarely rent any at all. We watch the movies on the cable TV that we already have to pay for. Today, I have the FREE code. And we will go to the Redbox, and we will stand in front of it and like two little kids getting a hand dipped ice cream cone from the behind the great big counter, we will look, discuss, probably even argue a little and in the end - we will walk away from that Redbox with movie in hand. We will go home and nestle in on the couch, plug in our movie and we will enjoy every single minute of the entire show.

Now to me, there really is something truly magical about that....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that was beauitifully put.... I love the simple things....Like that glass of wine or that ice cream we share becasue we had a coupon..... we don't go out to eat very often once every couple months rather than weekly it tastes so good....

Right now we are working on getting needs now for me been doing without for awhile longer than should have....but I relish it when I get them.... but today I am not feeling good so a pretty pair of pjs and hot chocolate on the patio...aww

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Something funny about the Doritos, just bought some a couple of days ago after about 9 months, Riteaid had them BOGO, they tasted so much better than they used to lol. I do just about everything you do, my DH and I just had a argument about renting movies on demand why pay 4.99 when you can go to red box or just wait until they come on HBO of which I pay 4.99 a month.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are so inspiring to me! I love it! That's how I want our lives to be. Hoping to get hubby on board with me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love this post. This is exactly how I feel. I enjoy the simple things and feel like the richest person in my city because I have a wonderful husband who is on board frugally and two young children that understand as well I may not have a lot of money or possessions and I may have debt that will take us a couple of years to get rid of , but I have everything I need and want Thanks for posting this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys for voting for me TOTW ~.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

U deserve it it is just said beautifully... and I so agree with every word.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oheoh's momma View Post
    U deserve it it is just said beautifully... and I so agree with every word.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

great post...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow...that was inspiring!! I need to bookmark this and read it when I'm feeling 'bleh' about things. Lovely job!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I totally agree. We don't buy too many treats (chips, cookies, candy) very often but when we do they last so long. Even now if we find them on sale and i have a coupon and they end up really cheap, they still last a long time. I also love doing things that require no technology at all. I haven't had a cell phone in 4 years and don't miss it one bit! We went to Mexico on vacation last year and I declared it a technology-less trip. We did have a cell phone with international coverage for emergencies and an Ipod touch for internet but we didn't use them. It was so nice to just be with each other and not check facebook or email or anything else. We did exist and thrive before those things so every now and then I make sure we're living without it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am new here, read this and then came back to re-read it... so much wisdom and so much joy. I am new to frugality and had been wondering if I could really commit to it or would feel "deprived." You have no idea how much reading this helped me, helped me to feel inspired and like I can indeed be more frugal (something for financial reasons I've been wanting to explore) -- and still have all kinds of joy and wonder and, yes, magic in my life.

So, thank you -- your words are exactly what I had needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hepzibah View Post
    I am new here, read this and then came back to re-read it... so much wisdom and so much joy. I am new to frugality and had been wondering if I could really commit to it or would feel "deprived." You have no idea how much reading this helped me, helped me to feel inspired and like I can indeed be more frugal (something for financial reasons I've been wanting to explore) -- and still have all kinds of joy and wonder and, yes, magic in my life.

So, thank you -- your words are exactly what I had needed.
    Thank you!

Fear of the unknown is the biggest thing that holds us back from anything. We are conditioned to believe certain things, and when we step out of our comfort zones (either voluntarily or involuntarily) we tend to panic a bit.

Being frugal is not a life of deprivation as we are led to believe by those that profit from our greedy lifestyles. Actually it is quite the contrary. Excess is not what makes us truly happy within, and only when we stop with it all, do we finally realize that it really is all about the simple things.

It is only once you stop to finally smell those roses, instead of buzzing right by in your Mercedes with the windows rolled up and satellite radio blaring - do you really get it...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awesome post...it made me dump my pottery barn basket...which was sitting at 300.00...thank you!!!!