Items to sell at garage sale ~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Items to sell at garage sale ~

Hey gang - need some ideas here....

Having our garage sale next weekend. I already have plenty of 'garage sale' stuff to sell...

Now I am looking for the 'off the wall' stuff to sell...

Here's where you come in ~ HELP!

I already have planned the following food items:

coffee
    donuts
    coffeecake
    drinks (water, soda)
    hot dogs
    chips
    snack cakes
    candy
    popcorn

But will take any and all suggestions on any other food ideas happily

Then I plan on selling plants from the yard (Hosta's, ground covers, etc)...

So- what other unconventional ideas do you have for making money at a garage sale???

Thanks gang you all rock!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dd sold "prints" of some her better photography shots (she's sold some to calendar places, etc.)

Cookies and brownies generally sell well, packaged either individually or in pairs.

We did the walking taco's - from a crockpot once that went over well.

You might consider some of the flavor packets for water too. . .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi. I would never sell food at a garage sale. Last thing we need is someone getting a belly ache and blaming us for it. House plants are a good draw, but folks expect them so cheap it's nuts. Foot-high plants for a buck. We keep boxes of books and CDs, some old stuffed animals, knitting patterns we'll never use, extra pillows, boxes of golf balls we find around town. Amazing how much stuff turns up!

But our most popular item is coins: kids love to paw through little baggies full of old pennies or nickels, and adults will ask if we have any silver ones (we sold out last time and can't afford to get more). I know that's not something everyone had laying around. We also did bags of state quarters for a slight markup over face value.

Overall, I find garage sales are fun to go to, and rummage thru all the stuff. But they're a bit unnerving to actually have, the way people rummage thru all our stuff! ;-)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I sold hostas for $4 a piece last year at a yard sale. Made more money on them than I did on any of the actual "stuff" I was selling. People only wanted the variegated ones though. My dad had some plain green ones that sold for about half as much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would never buy or sell food...but that's just me. I do not eat food that is prepared in a kitchen I am unfamiliar with. (I don't eat out, either)

Garden plants or produce might be good though.... plant starts, etc. cut flowers from your garden in mason jars? anything old and rusty that can be considered *yard art* or used for planters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In my town people selling food at garage sales is HUGE.

People literally turn their garages and yards into mini restaurants and people buy like nuts.

Usually it's the guys that get involved and they set up big tents in their front yards, get out the grill and just go crazy. (I don't have the guys - they will all be on the golf course) and the last thing I have time for is flipping burgers & brats.

That is why we chose hot dogs. They will be in a crock on a table right beside us. The buns will be in the pkgs & we will get them out individually when we sell a dog. We will sell them 2 ways - just a dog in a bun .50 cents (condiments will be avbl for anyone that want to use them) - we will have only .18 invested into each dog/bun combo. (And of course a few pennies for the condiments)...

If they want a combo meal (that's pot chips, corn chips, cheese puffs, whatever) it will be $1. We still will only have .18 invested in each combo coz all the chips I get free from my tenant the Lay's vendor.

All other food is already packaged from the manufacturer. Little Debbie snack cakes, cookies, donuts, honey buns...etc...

I will be making my famous cocktail cake (this I sell like hotcakes at the Farmers Market in the summer)... that will individually sliced, plated & wrapped (as I do for the Market) and people have no problem buying this from me.

This morning I got out my donut makers (mini donuts & holes/cake pops) and experimented with different recipes & combos. These are something that are going to Farmers Market too so I have to get cracking on them, but thought what better time than to start at the garage sale. So these too will be something that is homemade- but really, around here - people don't seem to care.

The hosta's that I have around here are taking over the landscaping. I have really enormous ones, and just about every other one they came up with (I went thru a hosta stage once- lol)... I spent a boatload load on them in the beginning, now they can start giving back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with your sale. It sounds to me like you pretty much have it covered. I know a lot of folks who just have coffee going as a freebie but never encountered food for sale. I am like some others I'm reluctant to buy food from a kitchen I don't know but the prepackaged stuff would be something I would purchase if it were early. Have fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I never buy anything but prepackaged food from sales. As far as the food,just cuz' the chips were free to you...
    Sounds like you have enough to sell unless the kids want to run a silent auction or spin for a prize lottery or something.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Personally, I would skip the hotdog idea. Too much work for too little profit, and would be too much of a distraction to be serving food while trying to sell stuff. Plus, no one wants a hotdog until lunchtime, around here everyone's already done and gone home by then.

Baked goods, some pop and water in a cooler if it's hot, but generally people aren't looking for a meal at a yard sale, just a snack to keep the kids quiet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    In my town people selling food at garage sales is HUGE.

This is some interesting reading..........am amazed at how diff. the sales are in diff. parts of the country.

Absolutely no food at our sales.........NOT EVEN COFFEE.

And, probably, if we DID have food, the health dept. would be there to shut you down........PRONTO!!

They have 'hassled' even people having a bake sale to raise money for 'some thing' (not their own personal thing).........and our schools can no longer hold the 'bake sale' as I knew it. They CAN buy the stuff from the groc. store---UGH---and repackage it.

Haven't quite figured out how people can still sell homemade jam at craft shows and candy, but the same craft show can't have a "bake sale"...................

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wasn't going to ask this, but I just don't get it.

I thought one of the basic principles of being a vegan was not to exploit animals, and not to increase consumer demand for animal products. It seems hypocritical to me to refuse to eat meat but then buy it to sell to someone else, thereby exploiting animals and increasing consumer demand for meat. How do you reconcile this if you are really against exploiting animals? If you're buying meat products so you can sell them to make a profit, aren't you personally exploiting animals?

I really don't care if you sell hot dogs or not, I'm just trying to understand how using animals to make a profit fits with vegan beliefs. Or am I misunderstanding the average vegan belief system? Help me out here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At the church garage sales sometimes they would sell hot dogs. That is UNTIL I took over and then there was no more food sold...only bottles of water and cans of pop. just the thought of the person touching all that germy money and then touhing the bun to put the hot dog in it wigs me out....Big time....
    Good luck....hope you make a bundle!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormpeg View Post
    just the thought of the person touching all that germy money and then touhing the bun to put the hot dog in it wigs me out....Big time....
    Glad I am not the only one that has 'a problem' with that.......I don't even 'sample' things at craft shows...(usually!!---explained below)........sometimes at Costco, as they usually have gloves on......and no money changes hands. I got horribly sick four or five years ago---flu like stuff-----after 'sampling' my way through a craft show.........changed my thinking, even knowing that the germs can be 'in the air'........still........

At the craft show I went to last weekend a gal put a tiny spoonful of jam in my hand to taste, just as I was about to say "No, thanks"........AND THEN.......she was specific about having you put this tiny spoon back in this little 'box thing' she had. She held it out to you and held it, until you put it in......(and a garbage can was pretty close by).....got to thinking later, I would bet money she was taking them home and washing them for the next show!! Wish I would have put teeth marks in mine!!!

Sorry sammy...........didn't mean to hijack..........just c/n resist.

I, too, hope you MAKE TONS OF MONEY......and have a very successful sale!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a buyer, I wouldn't buy food products at a garage sale...even pre-packaged. If it's a hot day, I might buy a cold bottle of water. I can't imagine the profit margin for selling food at a garage sale would be big enough to justify the extra effort. Most garage salers are looking for big bargains

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I wasn't going to ask this, but I just don't get it.

I thought one of the basic principles of being a vegan was not to exploit animals, and not to increase consumer demand for animal products. It seems hypocritical to me to refuse to eat meat but then buy it to sell to someone else, thereby exploiting animals and increasing consumer demand for meat. How do you reconcile this if you are really against exploiting animals? If you're buying meat products so you can sell them to make a profit, aren't you personally exploiting animals?

I really don't care if you sell hot dogs or not, I'm just trying to understand how using animals to make a profit fits with vegan beliefs. Or am I misunderstanding the average vegan belief system? Help me out here.
    I wasn't even going to respond to this post after you literally called me a liar in another (when I talked about the Dh and I living on a calorie restricted diet -if you don't remember). I chose to just let that post lay, even though I was quite offended by it. Just because you don't understand how the lifestyle of another works, you have no right to call them a liar over it. If you have doubts in what I say (your words) then why talk to me at all....

I don't know why I am wasting the time now to explain myself once again, because you seem to have some kind of vendetta against me and what I say.

First of all, calling me a hypocrite is a little crass, don't you think? A hypocrite would be someone that says that they don't eat meat, then they go into the closet at night and snack on Big Macs.

I do not eat meat, I do not encourage others to eat meat. But I am not the only person on this planet, and therefore, when I am involved with others in a project and they take a vote as to what they want to do (or sell), I have no power or right to tell them that they cannot sell hotdogs. I did not buy the hotdogs if you must know. I bought buns, and I am kicking in the chips - so I suppose you can get me on some of the ingredients in said items.

Bottom line is - this is not my world, I just happen to live within it. I can make my own choices (not to eat meat) but I cannot tell others that they cannot. The DH eats meat. And guess what? Better sit down on this one. Dh puts animal products on the grocery list - and I buy them. Do I have a right to police him and tell him that he cannot? Of course not, unless I want to get a divorce. I do not own him, he knows how I feel about said items and in the same breath that he does not badger me for my choices and decisions, I do not badger him for his.

And another thing. I know quite a many vegan that do it for the health benefits only. You took it upon yourself to presume that the reason I was a vegan was for the rights and protection of the animals. You don't even know my story before you started accusing me of being a hypocrite.

I do not exploit animals for profit, I do not exploit animals at all.
    But no matter what I say, you will figure out a way to call me on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast