Feel like bursting into tears.... - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    pb
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in the same situation as Zowie, my husband went for his current job(22+years) based on benefits ( cadillac coverage)more then income- this tax is going to hit us very hard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, the first year what you'll do if you don't have appropriate insurance is pay the fine through your tax return. In reality since you don't need to file that until April 15, 2014 (for the 2013 year), you've got about 18 months to figure out how to pay the little bit extra in tax. About 14 months from now you'll want to adjust your budget for the new insurance premiums (assuming you don't want to pay the tax again). By then the insurance companies SHOULD (ha, ha - SHOULD!) have figured out that they are supposed to lower their premiums.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketlegs View Post
    The problem I have is the fact that the bills I have PLUS being forced to have insurance is more money than I I fear I will have coming into my home.

Period.

Now I have to figure out where to cut, what I have to completely do without and keep my family from starvation.

To me the words Obamacare don't mean security they are a threat to my way of life.

I am already beating the books trying to shake out more money. Every thing is getting higher. This month alone saw an increase in my electric bill and my water bill.

The costs go up up up and dhs pay has been down for the past 2 months.

I can understand why the OP is crying!

I am not sure I understand the OPs math but it is her situation and I am sure she knows whats what with her finances.
    Agree.

We all have our own situations and they are all different. We can't know what it feels like to be in someone else's shoes. My DH and I make a good income. But we live in a higher cost of living state. My mortgage is almost $2000 per month. That is just what housing costs here. Every additional expense that is put on me by taxes or healthcare is less money I have to take care of my family in other ways.

all around

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What we type is never the same as speaking face to face & is often taken out of context. I don't care if you make a gazillion dollars or $100 dollars - I'm not college educated and that was my choice. I took my job experience, an online course and am constantly trying to improve my salary. We get up and go to work and I can't think of anyone I know that isn't willing to help out others, but on our terms. There are people that abuse the system we're angry that we have to pay for their health insurance, among other services. BUT it is what it is. There's nothing we can do about it for another 4 years. I just hope/pray in 4 yrs. we are all just as angry as we are now. Hope and Change are now Fear, Desperation and Frustration for me. I come here to learn from all of you so that I can improve my family's lifestyle. I too could burst into tears just like Giro and believe me I'm at the bottom of the income scale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean? I ment it in a good way!
    I'm not a huge fan of "should" when discussion where someone could be vs. where they really are.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    To me it became a math thread when dollar amounts and the word fair came into the discussion.
    I haven't yet figured out how to do math with "fair" - because fair is completely subjective.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    I haven't yet figured out how to do math with "fair" - because fair is completely subjective.
    In math fair is actually a math concept called Fair Division. Mathematicians claim that using this concept even a divorce settlements can be considered/seen as fair.

My husband says my mistake in this thread was my mathematical knee jerk reaction to the word fair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    In math fair is actually a math concept called Fair Division. Mathematicians claim that using this concept even a divorce settlements can be considered/seen as fair.
    Problem:
    Fair division, also known as the cake-cutting problem, is the problem of dividing a resource in such a way that all recipients believe that they have received a fair amount. The problem is easier when recipients have different measures of value of the parts of the resource: in the "cake cutting" version, one recipient may like marzipan, another prefers cherries, and so on—then, and only then, the n recipients may get even more than what would be one n-th of the value of the "cake" for each of them. On the other hand, the presence of different measures opens a vast potential for many challenging questions and directions of further research.

Still subjective.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    Problem:
    Fair division, also known as the cake-cutting problem, is the problem of dividing a resource in such a way that all recipients believe that they have received a fair amount. The problem is easier when recipients have different measures of value of the parts of the resource: in the "cake cutting" version, one recipient may like marzipan, another prefers cherries, and so on—then, and only then, the n recipients may get even more than what would be one n-th of the value of the "cake" for each of them. On the other hand, the presence of different measures opens a vast potential for many challenging questions and directions of further research.

Still subjective.
    Yes, still subjective. The one I find interesting the most is the no envy part of the fair division. In short it means that each person has decided that they are happier with their share they want their share more than the other person's share. This is the one that mathematicians and economist find most fascinating for at for conflict resolution.

Here is a discussion on the topic. The title of the article Formulas for Fairness.

Science News Online - Past Issues - 5/4/96.

Here is a book on the topic of formulas and conflict resolution

Fair Division: From Cake-Cutting to Dispute Resolution: Steven J. Brams, Alan D. Taylor: 9780521556446: Amazon.com: Books

There are also several math blogs about the topic.

I believe, it is quite interesting . Hubby says no one else is really interested in it and I should stop posting about it. He says I can discuss it with him. Which is quite fun

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ok imagine. hopping over that as math of that depth isnt my thing (no offense).
    Does anyone know how they are defining "cadillac ins.". That has me worried.
    My Dh hasnt had a raise for 4 years and they have demanded more and more all the while laying off people around him,he hasnt had a christmas bonus in 2 years. So we have always said-Well,at least we have good ins. And we (I) have chosen the best tier they offer.
    I have a feeling its the shock waves of this thing that will knock us down not the initial blast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    ok imagine. hopping over that as math of that depth isnt my thing (no offense).
    Does anyone know how they are defining "cadillac ins.". That has me worried.
    My Dh hasnt had a raise for 4 years and they have demanded more and more all the while laying off people around him,he hasnt had a christmas bonus in 2 years. So we have always said-Well,at least we have good ins. And we (I) have chosen the best tier they offer.
    I have a feeling its the shock waves of this thing that will knock us down not the initial blast.

My DH got a 5% pay cut last year. And will get nothing this year, which is better than a cut.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here you go Frugalwarrior
    One site says
    "A separate provision of the health reform law creates a new tax on so-called "Cadillac" insurance plans provided by employers. Beginning in 2018, plans valued at $10,200 for individual coverage or $27,500 for family policies will be subject to an excise tax of 40% on the value of the plan that exceeds these thresholds. The tax will be levied on insurers and self-insured employers, not directly on employees."

Will employees be taxed for the portion of the health insurance premium that is paid by the employer - Kaiser Health Reform

Another site says
    " A 40% tax on "Cadillac Health Care Plans" starting in 2018.Those whose employers pay for all or most of comprehensive healthcare plans (costing $10,200 for an individual or $27,500 for families) will have to pay a 40% tax on the amount their employer pays. The 2018 start date is said to have been a gift to unions, which often have comprehensive plans. (ATR.org)"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...#ixzz2BmIC4dEJ

Forbes site says
    "The Cadillac Health Insurance Plan Tax. Starting in 2018, there will be a new 40% excise tax on taxpayers who are covered by high-cost health insurance plans (with premiums at or above $10,200 for a single or $27,500 for a family). Insurers or employers who are self-insured will pay the tax, but it is expected to trickle down to mean higher costs for consumers."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaeb...-year-earners/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question

can anyone tell me when taxes have gone down..maybe im too young to remember(lol).. i feel like im missing something...expenses are going up but packages are shrinking,.,.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe the people in DC are all confused. Maybe they think we like taxes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    Maybe the people in DC are all confused. Maybe they think we like taxes?
    Good one

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast