Fall cleaning instead of spring cleaning.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Fall cleaning instead of spring cleaning.

For some reason I find it better to fall clean rather than spring clean. I have no idea why but I love going into the winter with everything neat and tidy. Here are a couple pictures of our 'under the stairs' closet. I didn't get a before picture but the first picture is half way through the cleaning process so you'll still get an idea of how messy it was. All the stuff in there only comes out about once a year OR never, christmas decorations, vacation stuff, old magazines, books, comic books, etc. I'm so proud of my closet now.

Anyone else fall cleaning?

Fall cleaning instead of spring cleaning.-closet-before-2012.jpgFall cleaning instead of spring cleaning.-closet-after-2012.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice and organized. Feels good, doesn't it?

I prefer fall cleaning, too. I think it's because it's getting ready for the holidays and it's easier to "want" to stay inside and clean. I generally keep things clean during the colder months since outside activities are somewhat curtailed. I don't typically need to spring clean. Plus...nothing can keep me inside come spring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do both.

But I need to deep clean the house before decorating for Christmas.

Worst place in my house is behind/under the couch. This is where toys go to die. It's a big sectional and I can't move it myself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually do both but this year I have been doing fall cleaning because was 2 busy outside in the spring...Have Livingroom, Dinning room,and our bedroom done..Still have kitchen, pantery, and spare bedroom 2 go...

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I try to make it a year round event. It's hard to motivate DH and most of the crap is his so he has to sort through it. If I had my way, it would have been on the curb years ago, but respecting each other's stuff was a marriage vow.

I think I'm going to get a "before" pic of the under stairs closet though. Just to scare you guys with.

Attachment 24455

I hope I can get mine looking as good as yours Rhayne!
    Last edited by Contrary Housewife; 11-09-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks great!! Our 'under the stairs' storage/closet space is purdy tiny more like a crawl space. BUT DH did manage to install electrical in there for a light so we can really see what's in there.

I prefer to try to clean all year round vs twice a year. The last big deep clean was last summer before we had house guests for our wedding. Since then, we've been maintaining and for the most part have been successful. The only thing left to do is purge & declutter which takes time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

AHHHHHH !!!! It's not that scarey. Good luck with yours. Mine desperately needed it. It basically has been a catch all for 4 years now with the exception of getting christmas stuff out every year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nadders, I bought some of those furniture sliders and they are fantastic. If I can manage to get a slider under each leg or corner of a piece of furniture, I'm good to go. Even with the heaviest things, I can manage to lift it just enough to use my foot to slide the slider under the leg of the object.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a former housekeeper I always found fall cleaning to be more of a demand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too love to fall clean. I also like everything to be tidy and put in place when the crazy holidays roll around...and when spring comes I am too busy cleaning and organizing outside.
    I still have to put the "seal of approval" on my guest room and then start on my daughters room, I will clean her room out while she is at school so I can just throw a bunch of stuff away without her trying to save her stuff.

Your under the stairs looks great, wonderful job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks great!
    I remember when I was young my mother changed curtains, drapes, and bedspreads in the spring and fall.
    I seem to do it year round. We have a ton of yellow pollen. Had my outside windows clean and then the hurricane and nor'easter. The are a mess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do both. I feel like we are basically closing up the house for a few months so its nice to be shut in with a clean house. In the spring i like to shake the cobwebs off so to speak and air the whole place out. Feels good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never spring clean inside... I'm too busy outside... not to mention that spring cleaning was an actual necessity in the days of oil lamps, smoky candles, and fireplaces... now, not so much. But I do like fall cleaning, both inside and out... Knowing you're going to be trapped insided for months to come is great motivation to do what you can to make it all livable. Man, do I ever have my work cut out for me!!! (But it is gorgeous here this weekend, and the outside is taking priority, as once it gets really cold, I'm not going out there... and I *HATE* looking out the window and seeing a mess in the back yard in the winter when its too cold to do anything about it...

DH is working a 24-hour shift tomorrow, so I'm hoping to purge a bunch of junk while he's not here to notice it. He's every bit as bad as the kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since we're in part of the country that fully experiences all four seasons, we do both. However, I enjoy fall cleaning way more than spring. By the end of winter I'm so sick of the house and ready to be outside.