DFW area in early January...suggestions?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default DFW area in early January...suggestions?

I know we have a lot of members from down South...I'm hoping to get some good info from you all...

I'll be in the DFW area for 2 days in early January and I wondered if anyone knows of any great places for bargains on business clothing.

Also...any suggestions for neat sights to see?

TIA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is a new outlet mall over in Grand Prairie. Haven't been there but I've heard it's nice.

There is a Dillards outlet store in Arlington at the old Six Flags Mall. Most of their clothes are marked down 75%. They have summer clothes in the winter, winter clothes in the summer.

Jewelry...Sam Moon's. There is a store off Harry Hines. Never been to that one and I think it's in sort of a rough area. However, lots of people go to it. There is another one in Plano, TX next to Stonebriar Mall. Much nicer area.

Lots and lots of things to see. You will probably want to visit Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum. Plan to go to Ft. Worth (frequently known as 'cowtown') stockyards to see the daily cattle drive. Cattle Driving Through Ft Worth Stockyards - YouTube

Dallas Arboretum
    Tour the Cowboys Stadium. A definite site to see!
    Tex Mex Food)
    1. Mia's - down on Lemon Av. Looks like a place you wouldn't want to go to, but fantastic food. Best fajitas I've ever had. Mia's Tex-Mex
    2. Mi Cocina - my second choice. A local chain, lots of locations. Owned by a family member of Mia's - now a disowned family member from what I've heard. Good food.
    3. Joe T. Garcia's over in Ft. Worth. People love it, but I've never been overly impressed.

Tons and tons of other restaurants.

OK...you might want to go to Billy Bob's over in Ft. Worth, too. That's a famous place. Haven't been in a long time but it used to be fun, fun, fun. If you drink and like loud music.

Mesquite Rodeo over in Mesquite.

Best malls for looking - not frugal but fun to window shop: Galleria, Willow Bend, Stonebriar, Northpark.

Dallas Attractions | Things to Do in Dallas, Texas

And now Miss Chamber of Commerce will sign off.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There's a crapload of shopping in Dallas, and I'm sorry I don't have details, it's been ten years since I left the area. I can tell you that traffic is horrendous. Give yourself LOTS of time to get where you're going, and bring a bucket of patience. The DFW metro area is huge, it can take over an hour to cross it when traffic is light and moving smoothly. I visit every year and I just can't believe how much the area has grown.

And if there's any kind of sleet, snow or ice going on, DO NOT go out in it. It's not like Alaska. There's no plows, no snow chains, nobody knows how to drive, and the lightest amount of ice will get everything shut down.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    There is a new outlet mall over in Grand Prairie. Haven't been there but I've heard it's nice.

There is a Dillards outlet store in Arlington at the old Six Flags Mall. Most of their clothes are marked down 75%. They have summer clothes in the winter, winter clothes in the summer.

Jewelry...Sam Moon's. There is a store off Harry Hines. Never been to that one and I think it's in sort of a rough area. However, lots of people go to it. There is another one in Plano, TX next to Stonebriar Mall. Much nicer area.

Lots and lots of things to see. You will probably want to visit Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum. Plan to go to Ft. Worth (frequently known as 'cowtown') stockyards to see the daily cattle drive. Cattle Driving Through Ft Worth Stockyards - YouTube

Dallas Arboretum
    Tour the Cowboys Stadium. A definite site to see!
    Tex Mex Food)
    1. Mia's - down on Lemon Av. Looks like a place you wouldn't want to go to, but fantastic food. Best fajitas I've ever had. Mia's Tex-Mex
    2. Mi Cocina - my second choice. A local chain, lots of locations. Owned by a family member of Mia's - now a disowned family member from what I've heard. Good food.
    3. Joe T. Garcia's over in Ft. Worth. People love it, but I've never been overly impressed.

Tons and tons of other restaurants.

OK...you might want to go to Billy Bob's over in Ft. Worth, too. That's a famous place. Haven't been in a long time but it used to be fun, fun, fun. If you drink and like loud music.

Mesquite Rodeo over in Mesquite.

Best malls for looking - not frugal but fun to window shop: Galleria, Willow Bend, Stonebriar, Northpark.

Dallas Attractions | Things to Do in Dallas, Texas

And now Miss Chamber of Commerce will sign off.
    WOWSERS! Thank you!!

You can tour the Cowboy's stadium?! I've never been to a big stadium like that...I think that would be exciting! Do you know how much it costs?

TOTALLY going to those outlet malls!! We don't have those up here...I am really excited to get some good clothing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    There's a crapload of shopping in Dallas, and I'm sorry I don't have details, it's been ten years since I left the area. I can tell you that traffic is horrendous. Give yourself LOTS of time to get where you're going, and bring a bucket of patience. The DFW metro area is huge, it can take over an hour to cross it when traffic is light and moving smoothly. I visit every year and I just can't believe how much the area has grown.

And if there's any kind of sleet, snow or ice going on, DO NOT go out in it. It's not like Alaska. There's no plows, no snow chains, nobody knows how to drive, and the lightest amount of ice will get everything shut down.
    Will definitely allow time to get between places! I know it's a little twisted, but I find the heavy traffic kind of exciting!! hehe (If I had to deal with it all the time, I'm sure that view would rapidly dissipate!).

Hopefully, it won't snow...I definitely get enough of that here! I wouldn't mind if it would be sunny and 60*!! hehe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post

WELL! That's rude!! We do to know how to drive in the snow and ice. As soon as it starts we just go run our cars in a ditch and get it over with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Link to stadium tours:
    Tours

I just looked and it seems they are only booking through 12/31 right now. Check back during December and they'll probably have the January dates posted. It is a sight to see. My favorite tour was of the old stadium, tho'. So many memories!

Yeah...tons of shopping here - from extremely high end to extremely low end. And Contrary Housewife is right...traffic can be a nightmare and I guarantee you will be tired of it after about 2-3 hours. Remember this...write it in ink...do not go anywhere near I-635. You will spend all of your time sitting there. On the freeway. Watching ants walk by.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I moved out of the area a couple of decades ago (I grew up in Fort Worth) and would just remind you to check weather before you pack. The average for that time of year runs from around freezing to around the mid - high 50s. But that's the average. It can be considerably colder, if you arrive with a "norther" or you might be really lucky and hit an unusual day or two closer to a balmier 65-70. Or, over two or three days you could conceivably have something near both ends of that. It can be very changeable.

SueBee - you're right about the driving!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, goodness! Well, I'm just gonna have to hope for no snow, nice temps, and avoid that one highway completely!!

Gonna check into those tours, too! This is great info! Thanks so much!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think you will have a great time. The area has really developed since I left. Another possibility - I don't know if you like zoos, but Ft. Worth has a great one. Unfortunately, it's the wrong time of year for the nearby botanical and Japanese gardens to be at their best.

Fort Worth Zoo