12 things that will cost more in 2013 per MSN Money
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 12 things that will cost more in 2013 per MSN Money

12 things that will cost more in 2013- MSN Money

This caught my eye today. Couldn't help but think some of the items were basically being re-imagined as far as how it will be priced to make it more difficult for us frugal people. Although many of the items listed are not something that is on my list of needs or wants right now. The daily deals are always fun to take advantage of but looks like you might need to be even more on the look out.

Anyway just thought I would post the article since it does come up on FV as far as plannning ahead. For me the high-end TV and home theater systems really does not matter and most likely will never matter but heck it could if I was in an industry where it is required.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

An interesting list. I'm not worried about the home theater ones either! Or new cars. Of course expensive new cars mean more expensive used cars because everybody will be looking for used.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

oh boy. I worry about the food prices going up.
    Nothing else on the list will interest me (except maybe the shipping charges for stuff I buy online to avoid using my own gas lol)
    brick and mortar - here I come.

Rice and Beans are going to become a staple in my house this year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read your link – Interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

Interesting in that your article says that (in the USA) "Gas prices may be falling . . . " We would like them to be falling, here in the UK. I pay about £1.40 a litre for diesel – a gallon is approximately 2 litres, so that's £2.80 per gallon/$4.55. Yes, I know it's only a small country, distances are not as great as they are in the USA, but we still have to buy the stuff!

Food prices are going up, too, according to your article. A Christian charity here has suggested that a family should budget for £30-worth of food per adult per week – that's just over $48. Is our food, therefore, cheaper than yours in the US? Would $48 per adult work? I'm curious to know how these prices compare.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Toffee,

actually, a gallon is 3.87 liters... so roughly double that estimate. On the other hand, your public transportation is MUCH better than ours (yes, the small country/huge country plays into that...)

As for how the budgets compare... I spend about $400/mo on my family of 2 adults, 2 children... and that is quite low for this area... I shop sales and coupon and cook and keep a pantry all that good stuff... but it all comes down to what people choose to buy and cook.
    In times like these, it helps to recall there have always been times like these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Already had our health premiums go up.

Food prices....eek!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I did my sums wrong. Mea culpa! I always say: I'm a linguist, not a mathematician. Did you know that a US gallon and a UK gallon are NOT the same size? One US gallon = 0.832674 UK gallons. Now I KNOW I can't do the maths for that!

But the public transport - ? Since we think ours is, generally, awful - yours must be non-existent. Is it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Toffeekit View Post
    But the public transport - ? Since we think ours is, generally, awful - yours must be non-existent. Is it?
    In a lot of places public transportation is non existent.

When I was grewing up I did not know that people besides school children road buses. (I only knew of the school bus). I did not know except from history books that people rode on trains. I know many people who have never ridden a train, including my children. I have also never ridden in a taxi, although I do know so people who have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As much as we complain about it, gas prices in the US are a lot cheaper compared to the rest of the world.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Toffee-no taxis close,no bus system,subway or trains here. Cars-but it is the motor city (suburb). Gas just went back up .07 a gallon in the last 2 days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We can get taxis to come here from Portland, but it is spendy. We are a half hour away from the very outside edge of Portland and an hour away from anywhere we usually want to go in Portland.

We do have a bus service. Well, technically a bus service. It only runs a few times a day and it is basically just to the college in Hillsboro and the outside edge of Portland (where you catch more buses to get where you are going). There is one in the morning and one in the evenings (maybe two on some days) on weekdays. It is more expensive than what you would pay to drive your car.

Gas is always slightly higher (by a few cents) where I live.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am fascinated to read the posts from those of you who don't have public transport. Thank you for responding. I am so used to the situation here in the UK and in Europe that I obviously don't understand how it is for (some of) you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Toffee-no taxis close,no bus system,subway or trains here. Cars-but it is the motor city (suburb). Gas just went back up .07 a gallon in the last 2 days.
    Subways, I completely forgot Subways are real and not just on tv. I do wonder what it is like to ride on a subway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't worry Imagine, riding a subway is like being cramned into an elevator only going sideways and not up or down. That is during the non busy time, the busy time is when you think why didn't I take a bus, taxi, or walk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for posting...the only thing that will effect us is food and gas prices...home theatre systems and iPhones...not a need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast