Social Security ... How long does it take?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Social Security ... How long does it take?

Hubby can apply for Social Security at full age in August and he will. Can someone tell me how long it takes to start getting checks after they apply? Is there anything anyone can think of that we should know that we might not? All help is appreciated.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Apply 2-3 months before his birthday to start the paperwork. They advise direct deposit. Used to be they did paper checks. Have a checking account number ready to give to them. Can be done in person, online, or by phone.

First check can take anywhere between 1 to 2 months to get, depending on your age. It will go in the bank on a wednesday. So if your birthday is the 1st, the check will be in the bank the first wednesday of each month. So most of the time, it is not the same date. First, second, third, or fourth wednesday closest to the birthday number.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dad retired very suddenly in November. He went and did the paperwork with no appointment the last week of November and received his check for December. The checks all have to be direct deposited now unless you were born before a certain year. It was only for the really elderly people that they would still mail a paper check. Into their 80's. My Mom applied at the same time and also received a December check. They get them at different times of the month though because the check dates are based on their birthdates. Neither of them are old enough for medicare yet so I don't know how long that takes. My dad's wont kick in until January and my Mom not for another 18 months.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    Hubby can apply for Social Security at full age in August and he will. Can someone tell me how long it takes to start getting checks after they apply? Is there anything anyone can think of that we should know that we might not? All help is appreciated.
    Agree with some of what was posted.............not the Wednesday deposit thing----though that is posted on the web---..........and don't count on it.

Here is something that was posted for the dates..........but have read other things too...... if your birthday is.........

1 – 10th of the month, expect your Social Security check to be deposited on the 2nd Wednesday of each month

11 – 20th of the month, expect your Social Security check to be deposited on the 3rd Wednesday of each month

21 – 31th of the month, expect your Social Security check to be deposited on the 4th Wednesday of each month

He should apply in June (at least)...........with a bank account number that he wants it deposited into..........I got a totally separate account at a bank that I do no other business with..........for various reasons, but not necessary. He will be setting up an account, if he applies on line, and needs a password.

Here is a website where you can read about it..............AND APPLY ONLINE.........no need to set up appt. and wait in some line.

The United States Social Security Administration

I have also read that IF your birthday is before the 15th of the month, then your deposit date is the 5th.........if your birthday is after 15th, then your deposit date is the 25th...............BUT IT CAN VARY, depending on when that date falls. They pay a month behind...........but PULL IT OUT OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT INSTANTLY when you die.............(one reason for my totally separate account)...no pro-rating done! (don't you just love it???!!)

When you sign up some of this is explained.........about check arrival and etc. His birthday will play a big role on when he gets the first check.

Also..........TAKE NOTE.......by applying in Aug. his earnings for this year can affect his SS.........might want to check the financial thing out and it may pay him to wait until Jan to apply...........BE CAREFUL HERE........

In the year you reach full retirement age:

You can earn $40,080 gross wages or net self-employment prior to the month you reach full retirement age and not lose any benefits in 2013.
    We will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 earned above $40,080.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found this on their website.............regarding dates and when benefits are paid..........(if it is any help!!)

When benefits are paid

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh & I have birthdays of 11th and 13th and our SS is deposited on the 3rd Wed. of each month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    I have also read that IF your birthday is before the 15th of the month, then your deposit date is the 5th.........if your birthday is after 15th, then your deposit date is the 25th...............BUT IT CAN VARY, depending on when that date falls. They pay a month behind...........but PULL IT OUT OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT INSTANTLY when you die.............(one reason for my totally separate account)...no pro-rating done! (don't you just love it???!!)

When you sign up some of this is explained.........about check arrival and etc. His birthday will play a big role on when he gets the first check.

Also..........TAKE NOTE.......by applying in Aug. his earnings for this year can affect his SS.........might want to check the financial thing out and it may pay him to wait until Jan to apply...........BE CAREFUL HERE........

In the year you reach full retirement age:

You can earn $40,080 gross wages or net self-employment prior to the month you reach full retirement age and not lose any benefits in 2013.
    We will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 earned above $40,080.
    I don't understand the pull out instantly part...No pro-rating???? What does that mean? Understand the separate bank account part but not the rest. So if dies I should head straight to the bank if it has money in it? Wouldn't you get into trouble and have to pay it back?

No fear on the $40,000....believe me...no fear
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    I don't understand the pull out instantly part...No pro-rating???? What does that mean?
    Will see if I can explain........but part of it was just my 'sick humor' too..............will try to give examples.........FIRST......they pay ONE WHOLE MONTH behind.............IE: my birthday is towards end of July BUT I did not get my first check until END OF SEPT............part of this is based on WHEN my b-d is and the other is not only WHEN they pay..........but they pay a month BEHIND...........(duh-that figures).........so basically, July doesn't count for anything except that I am 'eligible' to apply..........then I SERVE my month---which is AUG............THEN......I get my first payment in the next pay cycle WHICH IS SEPT. Did that make any sense? Hope so.........

Okay...........so.....keeping in mind the payment method/timing............they pull out the full amt. of any check rec'd in the month you die. (the part about pro-rating was just joking---as if they would!!!???)

So....with the above in mind..........do a scenario.............(using my mom as example).....she died April 19. Now had she have been a person that needed her SS REALLY BAD........and say 'spent it all' by the time the 19th came and she passed on...........her bank accnt could have been in a real mess if the checks hadn't cleared. SS is one of the first things you do---notify them and set up an EIN when someone dies......and they zoom straight to your bank accnt. and pull out the money you have been paid.

So........knowing this, what I did is set up an SS accnt only..............no checking is attached to it.......the money sits there until I pull it out.......and do whatever with it..........

I make a joke about I hope my last checks BOUNCE...........but I damn sure don't want them bouncing cause SS has messed me up. Just 'my thing' ....and it works for me!

The date thing just boggles my mind..........my dad died Sept. 11...............his birthday is the 29th of the month.....and they pulled the prior ck out of his checking.

Did this help at all? Hope so......don't think I know a better way to explain it..........other than forget the 'pro-rating' sick humor.........just my gov't attitude right now!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DH and I both get our checks on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
    My birthday is in May which was my waiting month then I got my first check in June on the 3rd Wednesday. Pretty long waiting month but when you turn 65 you get your medicial card for the first day of the Month no waiting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Mother in Law died last August on the 25th. Her check deposited the first week of August was deducted from her account right away as well. The funeral home here notified the Government of her death when the death certificate was filed. Thats one time the Government moves fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Will see if I can explain........but part of it was just my 'sick humor' too..............will try to give examples.........FIRST......they pay ONE WHOLE MONTH behind.............IE: my birthday is towards end of July BUT I did not get my first check until END OF SEPT............part of this is based on WHEN my b-d is and the other is not only WHEN they pay..........but they pay a month BEHIND...........(duh-that figures).........so basically, July doesn't count for anything except that I am 'eligible' to apply..........then I SERVE my month---which is AUG............THEN......I get my first payment in the next pay cycle WHICH IS SEPT. Did that make any sense? Hope so.........

Okay...........so.....keeping in mind the payment method/timing............they pull out the full amt. of any check rec'd in the month you die. (the part about pro-rating was just joking---as if they would!!!???)

So....with the above in mind..........do a scenario.............(using my mom as example).....she died April 19. Now had she have been a person that needed her SS REALLY BAD........and say 'spent it all' by the time the 19th came and she passed on...........her bank accnt could have been in a real mess if the checks hadn't cleared. SS is one of the first things you do---notify them and set up an EIN when someone dies......and they zoom straight to your bank accnt. and pull out the money you have been paid.

So........knowing this, what I did is set up an SS accnt only..............no checking is attached to it.......the money sits there until I pull it out.......and do whatever with it..........

I make a joke about I hope my last checks BOUNCE...........but I damn sure don't want them bouncing cause SS has messed me up. Just 'my thing' ....and it works for me!

The date thing just boggles my mind..........my dad died Sept. 11...............his birthday is the 29th of the month.....and they pulled the prior ck out of his checking.

Did this help at all? Hope so......don't think I know a better way to explain it..........other than forget the 'pro-rating' sick humor.........just my gov't attitude right now!!
    k...SO....give me a few to wrap my mind around this and I'll post again...

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We helped our neighbor apply and it was about 60-90 days before he started receiving his payments.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonnotsm9 View Post
    We helped our neighbor apply and it was about 60-90 days before he started receiving his payments.
    That's what I'm afraid of. Long long time ago it could take up to 6 months. I remember my grandparents.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bonnotsm9 View Post
    That's about right..........from the BIRTHDAY MONTH.............my birthday is in July.........and I got my first check in Sept.

I checked that account.......and the first year I got my check on the 4th Wednesday of the month (my scheduled payment time) SEVEN TIMES out of twelve months..............so that is why I say...........don't COUNT on it being there on exactly that day. It was even early a couple months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

when I received social security, it took one full month as long as the paper work is in order.... I received it on the 3 rd Wednesday of every month.... I never had any problems with mine but always check before u spend...and It is a month behind so if u die or something it is easy to close the account and the government does keep check on that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast