Has anyone lived through a tornado/hurricane/other natural disaster?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Has anyone lived through a tornado/hurricane/other natural disaster?

I've seen a couple of hurricanes but nothing beyond that. How about you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had a tornado blow over without touching down. It makes a very errie sound. I was in a garage, playing cards with a group of friends. We had the door open and heard it coming. We all stayed in the garage as none of us would leave our wheelchair bound friend. It blew down a lot of trees and blew out a lot of windows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grew up in Kansas so I saw my fair share of tornados. Nothing major happened to us in the 16 years I lived there.

I have been through a few big earthquakes since we have lived in California too!!!! The last big one was the Northridge earthquake that hit 9 years ago this month. I remember it because ds was just 3 weeks old and I was feeding him, I heard it coming, it was the loudest and longest and biggest earthquake I have ever felt!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I lived through the Wichita Falls Texas tornado in 1979. It started out as 3 separate tornados that combined into one massive tornado that left a path of devastation 1 mile wide. It killed almost 50 people in Wichita Falls and destroyed a large portion of our town. I was 16 and living in an apartment complex with my family and we started out watching from our balcony as it destroyed one section of town after another, but when it looked like it was coming directly at us we went to the bottom floor and turned over the sofa and stayed under it until it was over. We were very fortunate that it missed us, we only sustained wind damage but within blocks of us there were entire neighborhoods that were completely destroyed. It was so frightening, it sounded like a train coming and then it smelled horrible.

I remember driving afterwards trying to get to family members homes to check on them and the street signs were gone and the roads were covered with debri. Within a few hours the National Guard had come in and was taking control of the town, but looters were everywhere.

I hope that I never see anything like that again. Of course I still live in Texas "in tornado alley" so I may at some point.

Blessings,
    Kathy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, Kathy,

I remember that tornado! And to think that it looked clear and beautifully blue skies again after the initial storm that blew threw there!

They said so many were killed because it looked like the storm was over and had past and people were about their activities again.

We had a little one that didn't touch down when '22' was a baby, I was putting everything in the closet that was important, just in case, and I ran out to get a bottle for him and when I looked out the sliding doors, it was so wierd!

The air was dense as fog and all the rain was blowing horizontally rather than veritically....and different things were flying through the air, it was fascinating and held me spell-bound.

When the neighbors shed blew past my line of vision I was jolted to reality and ran for the closet.

There have been some bad ones around us, but never in our immediate area....thank God!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A few years ago a tornado touched down in our town. It went right over our house, and was so scary. No one got hurt, thank god, but it did tons of damage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been through a few hurricanes here, too. They can be nasty, but I've never seen a really bad one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went through a flood here in Jan 96. A couple of people died. We were surrounded by the dark icy cold water. Whole trees and parts of houses were wizzing past our house. We didn't have any damage to the house as Dh kept pumping it out. Cleaning up was a job and we found all kinds of things along the creek bed for months. We lost some yard furniture,part of our driveway & ended up needing a new septic system. Anyone have to use a port a potty that was set up in your front yard in Feb ? We had one for weeks & it was not fun. It was so strange that this was going on here in Schoharie county & the local news & surrounding areas were oblivious that a national disaster was occuring in thier area. Since then better warning systems and plans of action have been put in place should something like this occur again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dh went through a major hurricane when he lived on Oahu. I have experienced having to evacuate due to a hurricane (it was supposed to slam our county head-on, but turned and went elsewhere at the last minute) and I have been through tropical storms. I have also experienced a tiny earthquake when I was in high school - no one even realized what was happening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our home was hit by a tornado when I was 12. We were in the basement and heard the tree hit the corner of our parents bedroom. They really do sound like a train.
    I was living on the West Coast of Fl. during Andrew. I worked the tent camps for several months afterward. It was the saddest thing I ever saw.

Registered User PennyPinchinPam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've lived through earthquakes (CA), tornadoes (TX), and Super Typhoons (Japan). I hope I've had my share and hope I won't have to do it again. They are all very scary experiences.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We lived a couple hours away from Mt. St. Helens when it errupted. We ended up with several inches of ash all over everything. It was pretty scary. It was dark as night in the daytime because of all the ash coming down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a tornado in our neighborhood in 1998. It missed us by only a few houses but we heard the rumbles and got alot of other neighbors belongings in our yard.2 of our neighbors were killed,and they left behind 3 kids
    The same tornado hit at my aunt's house and they had some damage but didn't lose their home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have been through several hurricanes. They bring tornadoes with them some of the time. We have had tons of wind and water damage, but the tornados seemed to be repeled by our house - lol! There were several houses on our street that were torn up by one during George, but it seemed to bounce from one side of the street to the other, diagonally, and our house was one it skipped.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been through a monsoon & on one day a bolt of lightening hit the sidewalk directly infront of our apt. as I opened the door . We have been through 3 earthquakes {so far} & lately they have been talking about another local mountain rummbling & they have posted signs for evacuations already just incase because according to them she is due to erupt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast