Are you content with your current level or income/wealth?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Are you content with your current level or income/wealth?

Are you content with your current level or income/wealth?

I feel like I am. I suppose that is easy to say because I am in a pretty good situation now. But internet and the media are all full of people who are earning good income but still want more, more, more.

Within a year, we will have snowballed our last credit card. When we finish that we will have a pretty good chunk of disposable income. More than I have ever had at any other point in my life.
    My thought was well it would be good to put more in retirement and saving, but I think my husband and I can splurge on …..

Splurge on….

Hmmmm…..

I can’t actually think of any big ticket items I really want. Well my husband and I do want to “buy” an early retirement. Well kind of early. We are going for the minimum age to retire with our pensions. (60 for him 59 for me. It is an age/years of work formula.) If you work past the minimum you can get a bigger pension.

I have come to love my cheap to moderately priced hobbies. I love the often simple, but always delicious, food we eat. I have many things I enjoy that are cheap or free. I enjoy thrift store shopping.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am happy with what I have. I wanted to buy myself a Xmas present last year and had a hard time thinking of anything I needed or wanted. (I bought a MP3 player for $30). I don't get excited about clothes, shoes, eating out, that kind of stuff.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're the same as you two.

We're fairly satisfied with where we are right now, but Husby retired Wednesday, so we will have to wait to see if things change very much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is nothing I need or want at this point in my life....husband stills works and collects his SS so that is going directly into savings. I try not to worry if we get hit with a big medical bill which is very possible. I am just enjoying life...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not content here. Any big bill could wipe us out.

I have a small emergency fund and so does DH. His car cannot be repaired and he's renting a compact car that's eating up his emergency fund. He will need to make payments on the next car and it's a matter of finding something as cheap as possible but a good safety rating. We're seeing cars for $6,000- $10,000 with high miles (close to 200,000). But here's the thing- he doesn't take care of his cars. He doesn't want to spend the money to change a timing belt or fix leaks. Now, he's never gotten a high mileage car but my guess would be that the car won't last 2 years without fixing stuff.

I would like to make more $ to pay for DS2's college next semester and pay more on the mortgages. I'm not sure what will happen in the next few months as DH and I may be temporarily unemployed. Another wrench in the system.....

I had planned a big holiday for our family and 2 relatives and am following through. Most is paid for in advance. This was planned way before any of these other issues. At least I can look forward to that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have enough to support my family, have some extra for fun, and a stable emergency fund. I don't necessarily need more, but more is always welcome. I certainly wouldn't turn down a raise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My mom was like that with cars. She never took care of them so they always fell apart. Right now my husband I do not drive. We use public transportation and the occasional uber. I know it would not work for everyone, but it works in our situation. We have our groceries delivered. Most of my shopping is online. Because we are in a high cost of living area, online things are almost always cheaper.

We have an emergency fund. We are both federal government employees and I expect more "emergencies" (i.e. shutdowns) in our future.

I would not turn down a raise either. But I am also not out there looking for other jobs. My boss said they are looking into salary disparity by people who are both doing similar jobs. I might wind up getting a little extra money out of that.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am satisfied with where we are in life. Honestly..... I think that being satisfied is the key to happiness and peace. I've never been rich...... at least by some standards...... But we have enough and then just a little more. We made some good decisions early on that pay off now. We chose to live way below our pay, and bank the extra. We paid off mortgage in 5 years.... and believe me, that was a trip!!!! We drive our cars until they hardly go anymore, but Hubs keeps them in good repair with regular maintainence. My last car was 15 years old before I traded it in. We live in a small home, but it is very nice and comfortable, and easy for us to keep in good shape. We don't drink, smoke, go partying, gamble, etc. So that is money saved right there. We frequent the public library, walk the trails and parks in our area, go to the free music and theatre and art shows at our community college. Our biggest "expense" each month is our tithe. Other bills are kept low. Medicare is a big help on med expenses, but we have very few of those.... mostly just preventive care. We have a garden that helps on food expenses, and also frequent the Amish markets for low cost food. Our biggest splurge is travel. But we never travel without having it all paid for up front. So..... life is good. It helps to have simple needs and wants, that's for sure!!!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a great thread. Yes, I am very content with my current financial situation. In the last year, I have started to travel. I plan the trips a year in advance, and look for excellent deals. I get to take gorgeous cruises thanks to a friends and family discount on NCL. I have a very small, paid off cottage, a twenty year old VW Beetle with 49,000 miles on it that was my mother's, and I live close to town. I take advantage of the bike paths, public transportation, and the library. I love to read, knit, crochet, and blog. I am still working from home, part time. I write for a magazine, and sell my homemade soap and hand knits on Etsy. It's all coming together beautifully, and I'm very happy. I also had both hips replaced almost four years ago, and am very grateful to be healthy, in shape, and out of pain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In general I am satisfied with what I have as far as possessions (except wanting a new grill which I will do soon, to replace my broken double oven, and to pick up a few new suits to replace the 20+ year old suits in my closet).

As for income, no, I want to go a little higher. Two years ago I worked my part time side gig and a full time job, which were bringing in about equal amounts of money. I quit to focus on the side gig and I did awesome with my first full year, I increased my income by about 30%. I want to increase it to match what I made with both jobs two years ago (if not a little higher).

I think that's a very doable goal.

When I left the full time job, my goal was (and still is) to double my income and cut my hours in half. I decreased my hours about 25% last year. So that increase in income of 30% is pretty darn good with the reduced hours, but I know I can do more.

So my goal for 2019 is another 20% increase in income and 25% decrease in hours.

That will put me pretty close to where I want to be long term. I can re-evaluate at that time what changes I want to make.

I've been working on getting all debt paid off and setting up a SEP-IRA for my business.
    2018/2019 Pay Off the Windows Challenge: $26,886.34/$31,057.34 (Goal: Pay Off By 12/31/2019)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We're the same as you two.

We're fairly satisfied with where we are right now, but Husby retired Wednesday, so we will have to wait to see if things change very much.
    Congratulations! My husband retired, after 30 years of law enforcement, July 2017. He works Spring/Summer/Fall for a landscaping company, for now, because he’s 53. So it’s not a full retirement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    My mom was like that with cars. She never took care of them so they always fell apart. Right now my husband I do not drive. We use public transportation and the occasional uber. I know it would not work for everyone, but it works in our situation. We have our groceries delivered. Most of my shopping is online. Because we are in a high cost of living area, online things are almost always cheaper.

We have an emergency fund. We are both federal government employees and I expect more "emergencies" (i.e. shutdowns) in our future.

I would not turn down a raise either. But I am also not out there looking for other jobs. My boss said they are looking into salary disparity by people who are both doing similar jobs. I might wind up getting a little extra money out of that.
    It is very very important to take care of your vehicles. I look at it this way, it’s kind of like neglecting your teeth. If you do not go to the dentist for regular check ups and preventative treatments and you neglect your teeth, you could end up with a huge dental bill and maybe even health issues. People may disagree but preventative measures can make all the difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have enjoyed reading this thread! I am satisfied. We are not rich but we are content. We are paying off some credit card debt, no mortgages. We own our vehicles. Our oldest is a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. That’s one tough car.

I cannot think of anything we truly long for, maybe one day having a few acres for dh to hunt and the boys to ride their 4 wheelers. If it happens, it happens. We’ll see. We do not stress over it. We have our camper and go camping quite a bit with our kids and grands. My family makes me happy, not things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm living on Social Security so its a constant struggle. I have savings, but of course, no way of replacing any savings I have to use. I don't know that I'm satisfied, but I am thankful. I can't change my situation so I might as well thank God for what he's provided and not stress about it.

My biggest problems are ever increasing medical costs, property taxes, home and auto maintenance. No public transportation available so the auto is a necessary expense. I could sign up for property tax abatement but that just means the taxes will be due with interest when I sell or die. So far I've not taken that option but at least it is available. Home maintenance is a double problem. First finding someone to do the work and secondly paying for it!! As far as medical goes insurance premiums keep increasing and then there are the multiple items not covered like dental, eye glasses and RX that are so costly even with insurance...and I'm basically healthy. A major illness could quickly wipe me out.

Pluses including being able to garden and canning/freezing/dehydrating the bounty. Three great thrift shops for clothing and miscellaneous items. Aldi, HyVee and Fareway for grocery shopping along with Dollar Tree and Walmart within a few blocks of one another. Since I'm a big reader I also appreciate libraries in the larger town where I shop and in my small hometown.

Preplanning for retirement I stocked up on linens, sewing fabrics and findings, coats, clothing, replaced floor coverings, major appliances, including a/c and furnace and put on a new roof. Due to hail a couple years ago I have yet another new roof. Of course, if I live to 97 (like my mom is now), I'll likely have to do those things all over again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Anna..... Hyvee, Fareway and Aldi are our grocery stores here in our midwest town. We do have a super Walmart, but it is quite a ways from us. We find that Hyvee gives some good sales and also gives some good mark downs. This afternoon, I found Hillshire farms smoked sausages for 75c a package. I bought all they had and put them in the freezer. So food (and we have a garden also) is not a big expense for us, but property taxes..... out of sight...... My best to you....
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.