Does it seem like a sacrifice or not? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sense of direction is nonexistant. I'm not talking about having a memory for how to get somewhere. I'm talking about being able to face any direction and know what direction it is. Very handy when driving around. Husby and Mom can both do that. I can't. It's so annoying. I'm also very good at reading a map, but that's not an option while driving. I don't feel it's safe to be looking at a GPS screen while driving either, particularly in heavy traffic. Not to mention mapping software isn't as reliable as it it seems like it should be.

Duluth is a lot safer than Minneapolis, of course, but there are neighborhoods in Duluth I don't like walking alone in even during the day, including the area around the medical campus. Fortunately all the buildings are connected by skywalks, so once inside, it's much safer.

Bad things happen everywhere. I'm not particularly paranoid about it, but I'm not going to set myself up in an unsafe situation if I can avoid it.

We do like Duluth though. We're comfortable there. Neither of us mind driving there now. But we know in another 15 yrs or so it will probably be a different story, and that time is going to go by so fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in a huge city with the best medical hospitals in the world. Have a ton of doctors and hospitals to choose from. Ambulances can get to me in minutes. Drug stores on every counter......Which is great....I just long for trees and open spaces.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have trees. Open spaces, not so much. Which is one reason I love the lake. We can look across that for a mile or three. Otherwise all we would see are trees.

Rochester Mayo is world class care, too, but it's several hours away. Our local care does not offer enough services since it's such a small town. We are 2 hrs from a big hospital by ambulance, 45 mins by chopper. It's a trade-off for being able to live in one of the most beautiful places in the country.

No place is perfect. Therein lies our dilemma. 🙂

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Indy is a great city and GenCon has extended its contract through 2023, so it will be close for at least that long.

What did you end up deciding?
    2018/2019 Pay Off the Windows Challenge: $29286.34/$31,057.34 (Goal: Pay Off By 11/30/2019)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Of the cities I am considering, Indy is at the top of my list. But I need to my husband to agree with me on the city. My husband thinks it is too early to pick a retirement city. So I can't get an answer from him yet. I suppose he has a valid point. Right now I am sitting at less than 8 years but more than 7 1/2 years.

But having a good gaming community is his main priority for choosing a city. So I am pretty sure he would agree with Indy. But I would be happy with any of the cities on my short list. I feel pretty confident I could get him to agree to one of them.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD,
    Does a place you are moving to have to be a place where you would live the rest of your life? Could you live in a place and then move again when/if your life circumstances change?

I suppose it would be trickier for you since you probably need a house with your dogs.

I am leaning very strongly toward renting. I want to have the freedom to move if it turns out we do not like where we are living. It also makes it easier to change if our life circumstances change.

When we move it will be a place my husband and I agree on. I may wind up compromising. The city we choose might not be my first choice. I want to leave open the option to move to another city if I become a widow.

My husband will occasionally say things like "Texas has nice weather." I point out that summers are really, really hot. He seems to think that having a mild winter with no snow more than makes up for it. He grew up someplace with a mild no snow winter. And he has a higher tolerance to the heat than me. Well there are parts of Texas that meet all my criteria....

And overall Texas seems nice, except for all the heat.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We would hope to not have to move again. We've moved my mom twice in the last 5 yrs or so. Even with movers for the heavy stuff, it's a horrible amount of work. Dealing with FIL and Mom has become a road map for planning our own future, what to do and not to do.

Moving is a huge mental stress as well as physically tiring. You lose all your relationships. I dread the thought of having to find new doctors, mechanics, vets, grocers, acquaintances, friends, etc. You lose all the little things that work in your life, the routines, the spaces in your house that work just right, the familiar routes to get to and from where you need to go, all the things you take for granted till it's gone. It can be done, of course, but it's a lot of work and stress to make the adjustment all over again. Doing it alone would be even worse, particularly if done while grieving. And there's never a guarantee the new city would be any better than the current one.

We do expect to have to move twice due to the sluggish real estate market here. We wouldn't dare buy a new house till we closed on this one, because it might take years to sell. So we would have to move to a rental till closing, then to a permanent house. I'm already dreading it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Most likely we will move twice as well.

Our condo will need new paint and new carpet before we put it on the market. That is very difficult to do when you are living there. I see adds up all over for a place that buys “ugly houses.” I am guessing it is a place that buys houses that need work and fixes them up. I feel like I would get a bad price if we went through them.
    I think things sell pretty quickly here, but I am told condos do not sell as fast as houses.

On the plus hand, if we are renting we do not need to sell our condo before we move to a new place. I am not sure if we could arrange for people to come work on our place when we are out of town. But either way, we would not be living there at the time. I will consult with a real estate agent when it gets closer to the time.

Moving will be a pain. But we have a condo so it is a lot less stuff than a house. And we generally have movers do everything except the packing and unpacking.

I think there is a good chance I will be happy with whatever we decide on. But it is nice to have the option to move. Visiting the area and doing research on it can give me a good idea if I would like it. But I will not really know if I like living in a place till I move there.

I saw an interesting saying on the city data forum: Know what you can live with [i.e. what you are willing to put up with] and what you can’t live without.

Writing out some of my feelings helps me understand them better. That and research and turning things over in my mind. And sometimes my feelings start to change as I explore them further.
    KathyB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234