No one writes songs about saving money
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool No one writes songs about saving money

A couple days a ago I was listening to a song called "Poor Until Payday." I really like the song. I have lived like that in the past. It is not a good way to live. But as far as I know of, no one has written a song about how good it feels to pay all your bills and still have money left in your account.

If I had any musical talent at all, I would try to write one.

I like a lot of music in the genres of blues, Appalachian, Americana, roots. There are a lot of songs about being poor, having no money, etc. On the other end of the spectrum, there are songs - generally in the pop, rock and rap genres - about being ridiculously wealthy. Generally about being wealthy in a conspicuous consumption type of way.

But living below your means, saving money, putting money in a retirement fund, the joy of paying off a debt - none of this gets put in songs. It is not cool or glamorous. We are going against mainstream society - but not in way that is seen as edgy and exciting.

I am playing around with the idea of putting this into embroidery. Unlike music, I have at least enough talent to embroider something without embarrassing myself. Embroidering quotes is not uncommon - well not uncommon among people who embroider. I browse some of them - there are inspirational quotes, funny quotes, snarky quotes, feminist quotes. But I am not seeing any quotes about saving money or being fiscally responsible. I am thinking of maybe making some.

I do not usually see my views being expressed in popular culture. And I do not often see them expressed by well anyone doing something in the arts. For example, feminist embroidery quotes are not a common thing. But people are doing them. There are at least a few dozen embroidery activists making their presence known online.

So why are fiscal responsibility embroidery quotes not a thing? Maybe I could make them a thing.

I am also trying to get back into zentangles, so I could maybe do something with that too.

It would be cool to have artists and musicians celebrate our life choices as well.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My bills all paid, got it made in the shade.....
    Love my old car, it's taken me far......
    Thrift-store shopping beats bar-hopping....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love it dircpa…….

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like this one:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, that is a really cute and true song.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like that song. I looked up a little about the person. She is part of the simple living movement, which is also related to anti-consumerism and minimalism. There is a lot of overlap between all those and frugality. Almost all people into simple living are frugal, but not everyone who is frugal is into simple living.

I am kind of middle of the road myself. I feel out of touch with the spend, spend, spend, more, more, more way of living that seems to be the default in our society. Simplicity and minimalism are the opposite, but can be a little extreme.

I think part of it is about what you are comfortable with. Many minimalists say they are more comfortable with having less stuff than they are with having more stuff. I personal do not think that would be true for me. My parents were both hoarders. I feel like it is an achievement for me simply to not be a hoarder. I tend to feel more comfortable if there are a few little piles off stuff here and there. Stacks of books are especially nice. That sounds a bit like a joke, but I am honestly serious here.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you don't mind some double entendre by Bessie Smith
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

She might have meant it both ways. The term gold digger is generally used for women. But I imagine rich women have their share of men who love them for their money.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I read the original post, I thought about a poem I read in a book called "40 Years a Nomad: Poems from the Road", by Randy Vining. I hope it's okay to post this year, since I am giving him the credit. I ordered this book a couple years ago and this poem is one of my favorites.

A Bucketful of Freedom

Wealth is like a leaky bucket
    Beneath a water spout.
    Running water is our income;
    Expense is leakage out.

And the measure of our wealth
    Is how long we could hold out
    If some sad misfortune
    Turned off the water spout.

Most folks focus on the spigot,
    Seeking increase of the flow.
    I've focused my attention
    On the leakage down below.

I've sought to plug my bucket
    To reduce my expenses,
    Holding in my savings
    Like a cowboy mending fences.

With patience I waited for bargains,
    Didn't count on Lady Luck,
    Lived well below my means,
    Getting bang for every buck.

When water rising in my bucket
    Reached that calculated mark,
    I left behind my drudgery
    And flew off like a lark.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is pretty much an ode to being frugal right there.

Although you do not really need to choose between being frugal and earning more money. You can do both.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"Lady Luck" reminded me of something... Maryland Lottery used to have a blonde woman who was "Lady Luck". She went around with a tiara and a wand to promote the lottery. I have a picture of my mom posing with her somewhere....funny.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    That is pretty much an ode to being frugal right there.

Although you do not really need to choose between being frugal and earning more money. You can do both.
    Love that poem, but exactly my thoughts, Kathy.

Dlrcpa, Cute!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have mixed feelings about Lady luck and wealth. Some of it is luck for example being born into a wealthy family. And expensive medical problems can be a matter of luck.

But I disagree when people start talking about being lucky to have a good job. They are ignoring things like pursuing education, getting good grades, applying for lots of jobs till you get one, working hard at your current job to get promoted, being willing to relocate to get a job, etc.
    KathyB