Wow, itís been five years! Can you give me some input?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wow, itís been five years! Can you give me some input?

Ive just spent over an hour revisiting this site and Iím thrilled you are still here! Five years ago I was in Grad school, had credit card debt, other debt and a wahoo of student loans. Fast forward we are credit card debt free, No student loans and we are on track solidly for retirement. Our mortgage will be paid off three years before retirement in 13 years. My next financial goal is to pay cash next year for my vehicle using my pay. We recently moved and that depleted most of our savings but my husbands check should be able to build that back up. But....

Iím struggling in my chosen career. Itís been four years in the counseling field, working part time, and Iím mentally and spiritually exhausted. Iím also now caring for my elderly parents, who now live with us. Frugal living has taken a backseat for a few years. Iíve cut my work back to two days as caring for my parents has proven to be very time consuming and will definitely get more so as time goes on. They have chronic health conditions. I want to do this, my parents are wonderful people and it is my desire to care for them as long as possible. They are paying their way here. I MISS the days of living frugally and simply. Iíve recently been returning to that effort and am being reminded of the money I used to save us. I miss the challenge and hunts for ways to save and make a little on the side. Sooo Iím considering going to one day a week only. I would lose about 1000 a month with the potential to roll most of my Monday clients into tuesday(the other day I work) thus really not losing much income. But the nature of being self-employed means there may be times when clients finish up and others donít come in as quickly to replace them. With my parents rent and my husbands income we can easily pay the bills. Any money I have been making has been all put on my student loans and car payment. I keep it in my own account separate. My husband and I agreed my income should be for savings when my loans were paid which they are now. He makes a good income and has full, very good health insurance, vision, dental. So once I pay cash for my car next year, my income would be savings and a vehicle fund for my next car purchase. My husband has given his blessing and most of me feels that my frugal butt can do this! But itís scary. Can you help me to see if this is realistic? Can I save us 1000.00 a month with getting back to the true frugal living I used to do? Also our new property has apple trees, pear trees, cherry trees, blueberry bushes, maple trees for tapping, raspberry bushes and 8 large raised garden beds I planted when we moved in. Plus much wood for cutting for the wood boiler that is attached to the gas heating system. Iíve canned 58 jars of apple/raspberry jam in the last week and a half&#128513, applesauce and canned pickled vegetables. My heart is aching to be home more...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you have a plan and with the car paid off next year, the car fund, theoretically, could be a fund for anything, even a emergency fund. I wouldn't make myself crazy over too much stuff regarding frugalness and work and such. It sounds like the financial aspect is good. I'd stick to the plan and reassess next year.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome back.

It sounds as if you've thought about this a while. It also sounds like a lot of work, but if you think you miss the challenge of hunting for savings, then do it! The fruit trees are a blessing. I don't know if you can save $1000 per month right away, but try for $100 or $200 and work your way up.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I absolutely miss my old frugal days, they’ve never truly left me. I just canceled my monthly hair color appointment. A good friend a couple hours away is a master barber and took me with her to the supply store and bought the same high quality color and supplies used at the salon. I normally pay 50.00 for just the color with tip. It will now cost me 4.00 per color to do it myself. When my car is paid for I will not be buying a car on credit again and will be spending less because I won’t be driving as much. This will save a couple hundred a month in interest and cost of vehicle. A sacrifice I gladly will make as I think cars are money pits! Also dh has a work vehicle paid for by his company and gas card and his own personal truck that I will have access to so having a lower cost, older car will make sense.

Dh is big on eating out weekly and a s fine with cutting back and picking less expensive places to eat. Savings at least 75.00 per month. We got some much lower quotes for home and auto that I need to pursue. This will save over 50.00 per month. Also, I do a lot of driving with my parents using my vehicle and I’m starting to ask my parents to let me drive their car for their appointments. Our town tax bill is over what we should be paying also, according to our loan officer(a friend).she said to go in and contest it because they have it valued quite a bit above what we just paid for it in May. So I’m working on this for sure. Not going to rush to make a decision. Going to test the waters with my one client location by mentioning I’m thinking of switching everyone to my second location just one day a week and see if they are interested in following me.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Welcome back.

It sounds as if you've thought about this a while. It also sounds like a lot of work, but if you think you miss the challenge of hunting for savings, then do it! The fruit trees are a blessing. I don't know if you can save $1000 per month right away, but try for $100 or $200 and work your way up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Chatterbox,

It sounds like you are off to a good start.

That's a lot of jam. Have you thought about selling jam and/or fresh fruit at a local farmers market?

Mental health and well being is really important. It is good to give them a priority. It is good to get back to things that make you happy.

Take things at whatever pace you need to take things at.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    Chatterbox,

It sounds like you are off to a good start.

That's a lot of jam. Have you thought about selling jam and/or fresh fruit at a local farmers market?

Mental health and well being is really important. It is good to give them a priority. It is good to get back to things that make you happy.

Take things at whatever pace you need to take things at.
    Yes I’ve thought of it and selling it online. Thank you for the encouragement!