Shampoo?

Thread: Shampoo?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Shampoo?

Does anyone here know a very frugal option for a shampoo that won't irritate my scalp?

I'm trying different (cheap - think $3/bottle or less) shampoos, but more than that is really not in my budget.

My scalp has been incredibly irritated (dry, peeling, itchy) lately and it doesn't seem to matter what I do/try.

My hair gets greasy easily, so I need to wash it every day (it's super straight and fine).

Has anyone used baby shampoo as an adult? Is that better?

I don't know what to try next...sigh.

TIA
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Your scalp may be dry and irritated because you are washing it every day and stripping the natural oils from your scalp. Your hair is oily because your sebaceous glands are desperately trying to compensate for the harsh washing and are producing extra oil.

Try this over the weekend, just rinse your hair with warm water --not super hot-- and massage your hair and scalp like you would if you were using shampoo. Condition the ends if you normally do that. Wrap in a towel to absorb water, then air dry. See if that feels better.

No, it won't be super fluffy clean. It should be mostly clean with a normal amount of sebaceous oil near the scalp, and a soft, sleek appearance. Comb or brush as normal. Avoid the hair dryer.

Try alternating rinses with washes using minimal amounts of shampoo and see if that helps. Try rinsing two days in a row before doing a wash. The less shampoo you use, the less oil you strip away, the less irritated your scalp will be, and your sebaceous glands should calm down.

AFAIK most shampoo ingredients are the same, sodium laureth sulfate, fragrance, glycol, preservatives, etc. Go ahead and compare labels. A $1 bottle of Suave or V05 will clean as well as a $20 salon brand.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I'll try it this weekend! Thanks!

Totally agreed on the shampoo ingredients vs price. In fact, VO5 is one of them I've been using.

I've been researching and seen everything from "baking soda and apple cider vinegar" to baby shampoo, to sulfate free, etc, etc...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope you like the results. It may take some time for your scalp to recover, so don't give up if it doesn't immediately fix all your issues.

I believe baby shampoo has most of the same ingredients as "adult" shampoo, but formulated to not sting the eyes.

Baking soda and vinegar is supposed to do the same thing shampoo does, "lift" the dirt and oil from your hair. I have not tried that, it seems like it would be awkward if you have a lot of hair. Let us know if you try that.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, sounds like it may take a while to adjust. Sigh.

Baby shampoo (as long as you watch the formula) is paraben free, sulfate free, etc. So, doesn't have near the number of chemicals that can irritate the scalp. It's slightly more alkaline than adult shampoo (no tears effect).

I'm apprehensive to try the baking soda and ACV route. It sounds like it works well for some, but I searched until I found a science/chemistry view of it. Baking soda is so incredibly alkaline that it can actually damage your hair over time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wanted to share something that has helped me with an itchy scalp. I use a little bit of honey.

I rub in my regular shampoo with a short scalp massage. Before rinsing a put a tiny bit of honey in my hand. Then I rub my hands together to spread the honey around. Then I rub it into my scalp with another quick massage.

I let it sit for a few minutes while I wash my body and rinse it out right before I get out of the shower.

I started with a honey container that only had an inch left. That lasted two months washing every other day. So maybe 50 cents worth of honey a month.

I think the key would be finding out it your scalp is just dry or you are having a reaction to something in the shampoo. If regular soap makes your skin itch, it might be a reaction. If you are okay with any old cheap soap, it is probably just a dry scalp.

Rubbing lotion on your hands then running your hands though your hair can help too. But it can make your hair a little greasy if you tend to greasy hair.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had another thought on this.

Have you been wearing a winter hat? It might be a reaction to your hat. You could be allergic to wool or other fiber.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello Kathy

No, no hats.

Seems to get worse/slight improve depending on which (cheap) shampoo I try. It also seems to be worse in winter vs summer.

So, perhaps it's both issues?

I ended up trying baby shampoo a few days ago. It IS better and most of the itchiness is gone. Downside, since that shampoo is more alkaline, it isn't stripping all oils out of your hair and hair gets greasy faster.

I think, starting tomorrow, I'm going to try an ACV rinse (no baking soda)??? I dunno. Still not sure what's best?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the acid in the vinegar is supposed to counteract the alkine in the baking soda. I am not sure how one would work without the other.

Skin tends to be more dry in the winter. A humidifier in your home can help a little.

If the baby shampoo seems to be helping I would keep with that awhile before trying something new.

Some people say there hair has done great with vinegar and baking soda, but a lot of people have had problems with it.

There are also people who make there own all natural shampoo. That is something you could look into. Maybe a homemade deep conditioning treatment. Some of these are pretty cheap, like putting almond oil on your scalp and letting it sit before washing out.

All natural shampoo base from a soap making supply place is much cheaper than buying all natural shampoo. But it is still more than $3 a bottle.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My hair is super curly and needs to be washed/wet every day. No combing except with pick or fingers. It is also extremely dry. I have been using the baking soda/ apple cider vinegar routine and it has made a big difference for me. Much better. But I also have to use some sort of setting lotion or gel to avoid frizz and make that myself now with unflavored gelatin. Sometimes I feel the need to lather my hair and then I use a little Dr. Bonner's liquid casteel soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

From what I have read on the internet, most of the people who have found success on the baking soda/ACV method have had thick curly hair. It seems to work better on that type of hair than thin straight hair.

Another question for the OP. Are you using conditioner? You just mention shampoo. Shampoo is generally meant to be used with conditioner, unless you are using an all in one shampoo/conditioner. Shampoo cleans. Conditioner moisturizers.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    From what I have read on the internet, most of the people who have found success on the baking soda/ACV method have had thick curly hair. It seems to work better on that type of hair than thin straight hair.

Another question for the OP. Are you using conditioner? You just mention shampoo. Shampoo is generally meant to be used with conditioner, unless you are using an all in one shampoo/conditioner. Shampoo cleans. Conditioner moisturizers.
    Yes, using conditioner.

After about 4-5 days with the baby shampoo my hair was unbelievably greasy. So, that's a no-go.

I tried the baking soda and ACV after a day of using regular shampoo/conditioner (to get the grease build up out from using baby shampoo). That only lasted a couple days. My hair was showing damage THAT fast. I did a little digging and found a video on youtube where the science behind it is explained. Turns out it causes damage after long-term use (like 6-24 months, depending on the head of hair). So, that's out.

I went back to regular shampoo/conditioner, but am trying to use a smaller amount. I had it in a hand soap pump before, so as not to use too much from a cost perspective, but I am using only about a half pump now vs a whole pump. Still same scalp issues. At least, it's using even less product.

I think I'm going to just do regular shampoo/conditioner (smaller amount) for the week and let my scalp/hair have a break from switching things around. Next weekend, I am thinking I'll try the oil on scalp treatment you suggested.

Thanks, again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your mention of "greasy" made me think of dog owners who report problems w/ their dogs' coats being greasy. Commonly caused by seborrhea. I read a bit about it. There are shampoos to help (they suggest using the special shampoo only twice a week, I guess you use regular shampoo the rest of the time.) Dandruff is also a common side-effect. I used Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo (coal tar) years ago (for dandruff) and it did solve my problem at the time and I no longer have to use it. The article I was reading said some people may react adversely. There are other shampoos suggested.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried washing my hair with various baby shampoo. I don't see any difference maybe except the smell. Still no luck with finding a proper shampoo here too. But what I do recommend is sticking to conditioner. I also heard that according to Hairmadnesssalon it should be not just a regular conditioner but a maintenance one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been "no 'poo" for over a decade now. It took a few weeks for my scalp to adjust to no-shampoo. I rode it out though. I used baking soda slurry to clean my scalp, rinse well, and then the dilute ACV rinse. NOw I rarely need the baking soda. I have straight fine hair. I did discover that coffee is also acidic, so in a pinch at a hotel, I made coffee, let it cool quite a bit, and used that as a rinse after scrubbing my scalp with just my finger tips in really warm water for a good 5 minutes to get the dirt and grease flowing off the head. THe coffee rinse worked nicely. A final cold rinse helps seal up the pores and the hair shaft.
    YOu might need to give it a while for your scalp to adjust. And to adjust your expectations. My hair is not greasy anymore, but it never has the "dry just washed" look that was the goal in the 1980s when I was a teenager.

I'm going to try scrubbing my scalp with left over coffee grounds too. Just a little grit feels good now and then. I do the baking soda about once a month now to get any real dirt out if the rinsing and finger scrubbing don't seem to do the trick. I don't do this every day. It's once a week now with a good brushing daily. I have waist length hair (which used to be 6" shorter...the no-poo system made it healthier with fewer broken ends so it's longer now)

GOod luck! There are many options. I've used sea salt as the scrub, some people with super dry hair actually use coconut oil!