Do you think we will see a surge in frugality? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree about having a emergency fund. It is sooo important. We have essential jobs but with my doc putting me out and then wanting me on LOA... Now, I have a emergency fund that could be used for LOA, however, I do not want to touch it.

Carfree- I'm glad you have piece of mind from the steps that you took before this crisis. I purchased lots of things that were on sale and had totes of it in the garage. It almost seemed like their was too much but once this hit, it was perfect. I have piece of mind too, even with my meds. We don't live in a climate that's sunny year round, so our fruit trees will be dormant for several more months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think people will keep their stockpiles for a long time.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think people will be more likely to keep at least a few weeks of food on hand, maybe more depending on how this plays out. Right now the shortages are not caused by problems in the supply chain. They are caused by large numbers of people buying significantly more than they normally buy in a week.

So if the supply chain holds, the grocery store shelves will return to normal in a few weeks. So a few weeks of groceries should be enough. But if the supply chain is messed up you might need a few months worth

Not everyone has the space for a long term stock pile. Many people live in condos or apartments without a lot of storage space. We remodeled our condo kitchen to give us extra storage space. But even then we are maxing out at around two months of food. Possibly three if we wanted to settle for abandoning major food groups and focus on just not starving.

You are already seeing a rise in people learning to cook. People who don't know how to cook were hit especially hard. Also people who eat out a lot often have very little food on hand.

I am not sure if people will continue cooking more after things return to normal. Time is a major factor. With people not working or switching to full time telework they have more time. Working at home makes it easier to cook too. You can have soup cooking as you work. You can have things baking as you work.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, rujerro. Thank goodness for all of those bags you had in your garage. What is LOA?

Tomorrow I am picking up my bi-weekly basket at our local co-op. I am so glad that I joined. They give us plenty of fresh, organic produce for two weeks, (especially for me, since I'm single.) We don't have to worry about the stores being out of fruits and vegetables. My neighbors have had trouble with empty shelves when shopping. I've got lots of blood oranges, rhubarb, artichokes, apricots, and lemons in the garden. Some won't be ready for another month or so... but it's wonderful to see the healthy soil producing. We've had a tremendous amount of rain that this year.

It's a relief not to have to go fight the crowds. My brother is one of those people who eats out every single day. This will be a big lifestyle change for him. Maybe he's just ordering delivery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOA is leave of absence. It can be paid or unpaid, depending on if a doctor signs it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think people will become more frugal due to circumstances. A lot of people will be without employment and even with the increased unemployment checks they're planning to distribute, it may not be what an individual is used to earning.

My hubby is facing furlough...we aren't sure what point it will hit, but it will. We can live on either one of our salaries, so we'll be okay...just more belt-tightening than usual.

We live in a small apartment, so I haven't been stockpiling like I used to. Boy was I sorry when all this hit!! I went through and reorganized the whole place and have about 2 months worth of food and paper goods crammed in here. Gives me a bit more peace. I'll be maintaining this level of food stores until there is a vaccine distributed. I don't like being shoehorned in here, but it's comforting, nonetheless!

And yes, an emergency fund brings MUCH easing of the mind in all of this chaos. Am I still concerned? Yup. Will we weather the storm? We will.
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12