Frustrated because you can't get a timeslot for grocery delivery?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frustrated because you can't get a timeslot for grocery delivery?

I've been trying now for 2 weeks to get a grocery slot to no avail. I am in the high risk category should I get sick and feel like I am being forced to subject myself to the risk of getting sick. I have no family and my neighbors couldn't even be bothered to ask if I'm all right or if I need anything and I'm not the type to beg for help. I do have a decent stockpile for living in a 1 bedroom apartment, but I wanted to insure that I would only need to step into a store no more than 10 minutes one time a week to pick up milk, and produce.

The way I feel is that if the grocery chain can't handle ALL the requests from people who NEED this service, then they should discontinue it because it's not fair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We normally get our groceries delivered every week and are running into the same issue. We just got a delivery, but we were unable to schedule the next one.

We live in a condo, so we do not have the room for serious stockpiling.

Have you tried Amazon Fresh? We are thinking about that for our next delivery. We can't see delivery options till we check out, so we are waiting on it a little bit.

If that doesn't work, we plan to try Amazon pantry. It does not ship fresh food. It is only for food that you do not need to put in a refrigerator or freezer. So it is not ideal. But at least we would have something to eat. I have not tried it before, but I believe it ships like anything else from Amazon, so you do not need a slot.

Amazon deliveries are taking a day or two longer than normal, but we are still getting our stuff. There are also some food items you can get without going through pantry. We have bought a ten pound bag of rice and box of canned fruit through regular Amazon.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where do you live? Have you tried a smaller convenience type store? or locally owned smaller store? Also, do you have a NextDoor group of local FB group to reach out for someone to shop for you?
    Make America Kind Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I second Jo's advice to try smaller stores, and reach out on social media. Also, try your area food pantries or ministries. They may be able to bag food for you, or give you assistance shopping.

I am sticking with smaller stores in my immediate area, Aldi and the mom-and-pop market. Fewer people go through them, fewer surfaces, etc.

Remember that going outside won't make you sick. Touching surfaces and being close to infected people, not washing your hands after is what you need to avoid.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was only able to get a pickup by getting up at 4am on a Thursday and scheduling for pickup midday on a Saturday. Several of the substitutions were so bizarre that I doubt I'll do a pickup again.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another option, look into meal kit delivery https://www.self.com/story/the-12-be...-and-smoothies Some of them have promotional offers that get you free meals when you sign up, which lowers the cost.

I just got back from my local butcher market. Lots of meat in the case, fresh vegs, eggs, milk, TP, pasta, etc available. Not a fabulous selection, but they are a small store and always have been.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does the apartment complex have a "phone list?" For example, maybe there are other people who are in the same boat and if everyone shared each other's phone number to say, hey, I'm going to the store and do you need anything?..... Not sure if there is a secretary or management group that could send out emails to everyone to ask and start this type of thing....

Ordering frozen meats from Omaha steaks and burger's smokehouse and many others may be an option. Craigslist, task rabbit and a few other online job services offer delivery services from local people looking for this type of work.....Nextdoor.com may have people in your area looking to deliver. Shipt also does this service....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We were finally able to get a slot by checking early in the morning. We are early birds and get up at six in the morning.

Each day a new day is added. In the case of our delivery service it would be for two weeks from today. So each day is a chance to claim a spot. So if you log in as soon as the day opens up your chances increase.

I honestly don't know when the new day is added. If it is at midnight you might be able to get a slot if log in right after midnight.

I encourage you to try early morning or just after midnight depending on whether you are a night owl or early person.
    KathyB