What are you doing to stretch your food supply?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What are you doing to stretch your food supply?

With food shortages happening everywhere, what are you doing to extend your food supply?

I know here it's impossible to get meat, and from what I see on the news it is only going to get worse. So I add things like beans, oats, bread etc. to the meat we already have when cooking so that I can stretch it out.
    We are debt free!!!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a food supply problem. There's no shortage, it's just not getting moved to where it needs to go. We have local beef, pork and chicken, and stores are getting in fresh and frozen fish and shrimp. None of it is sale priced, though, and I haven't bought any since we got stay at home orders in early March. Using up my stockpile of frozen food.

I suggest looking into vegetarian recipes. Instead of stretching meat with bread, try a hearty chickpea or bean soup or stew with vegetables. If you have canned tuna or chicken, try making a nicoise salad with various vegetables and greens. A chopped egg (if you can get them) adds a lot of protein. Try a vegetarian chili or lentil soup. Bean and cheese tacos or vegetable burritos. Baked potatoes, or sweet potatoes with toppings. Investigate global cuisine, in many countries meat is not the star of the meal. Think of stir fry, noodle dishes, fried rice, etc.

If I knew what you had on hand or could get, I could make more suggestions. Here's some sites that might help get your creativity flowing:

https://cookieandkate.com/29-best-vegetarian-recipes/

https://www.feastingathome.com/15-co...rs-vegetarian/
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The dishes that i put meat in i just put in less meat.Have been doing this for awhile before there was a shortage and anyone that ate never said anything about it not been good.
    Goals for 2020
    1-No spend day
    2- No eating out days
    3-getting rid clutter
    4-menu
    5-stockpiling
    6-Grocery budget

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Soup and chilli work great. They taste meaty even when there is not a lot of meat in them.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-I save the bones from cooking and make soup with them. It's good for us and my family really likes the soup. I was a vegetarian for years but was never able to pull my family into that lifestyle.
    -I add TVP to my oatmeal in the mornings. That's a hold over from being a veggie and trying to make sure I got enough protein.
    -If my family doesn't eat leftovers I make them into something else. For instance, leftover meatloaf becomes spaghetti sauce. Leftover pot roast becomes beef and egg noodles. Bread that isn't being eaten gets turned into breakfast casserole.
    We are debt free!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortstack View Post
    -I save the bones from cooking and make soup with them. It's good for us and my family really likes the soup. I was a vegetarian for years but was never able to pull my family into that lifestyle.
    Maybe not as a lifestyle, but a couple of nights a week you could go that way, during this crisis. Or start with a solid vegetarian meal and add small amounts of meat to it. If it has good texture, flavoring and is hearty most meat eaters can forgive the absence once in a while.

Good luck, let us know what you try. Post recipes in the "try new recipes" thread.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut butter and peanut-noodle dishes and peanut chili are also options.
    Sorry you are having trouble getting items at the grocery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't been in a store in six weeks so I don't know if there is a shortage of meat or not. I have quite a bit in the freezer. I ordered pork chops and hamburger patties from a restaurant supply store yesterday. If you have any in your area you might try there for meat.... realize I live in a large city and many of you live in small towns.
    Instead of everyone getting a chicken breast, cut it in cubes and make a casserole.
    No hamburgers...take gd. beef and make it into a casserole or spaghetti sauce.
    Soup is always a good stretcher. You can make a huge pot for almost nothing.
    Breakfast for dinner is another stretcher....scrambled eggs, sausage and toast. Or pancake and sausage.
    Oatmeal for breakfast instead of cold cereal.
    I found I can make all kinds of things with crescent rolls. Dinner, desserts, snacks, bread....I wrap a crescent around a hot dog and cheese and it a pick up and go dinner....taco ring, broccoli and cheese ring, egg and sausage ring, pinterest has a lot of idea...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

https://www.tinybudgetcooking.com/

I have used several of the recipes from this site and was satisfied with them. They are mostly vegetarian, with some frugal meat dishes. His recipe booklets have menu plans by the day or week, which is nice. Be aware that portion sizes tend to be on the smaller side, if you are feeding teens or guys who are used to eating six pork chops at dinner, it may not work for you.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormpeg View Post
    I found I can make all kinds of things with crescent rolls. Dinner, desserts, snacks, bread....I wrap a crescent around a hot dog and cheese and it a pick up and go dinner....taco ring, broccoli and cheese ring, egg and sausage ring, pinterest has a lot of idea...
    Tell me more about taco, broccoli and cheese, and sausage rings. These sound delicious and I think my kids would like them.

I have a freezer full of meat. I buy a half a cow every spring and my husband hunts. Meat was just an example
    We are debt free!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, good, I'm glad you have a full freezer. I've just been making normal meals from mine, with a bit more care and planning to use up stuff and not waste it. I think today I need to do an inventory, I'm not sure how much chicken is left and I want to alternate it with the beef, pork, and fish. Also want to see if I have a roast down there.

If you google "pillsbury crescent rings" you'll get lots of recipes. I made a ham and cheese sandwich one for a brunch once. It was easy, and well received. A little messy to eat, I think I over filed mine.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Homemade pizza is great and you can put all kinds of things on top. I just use bread dough, oil a cookie sheet with olive oil, stretch the dough out to fit, then add sauce & toppings. You need to learn to stage the toppings, veggies (onions, peppers) need to go on first and be in the oven a while because they require more cooking time. I usually prep everything and hubby does all the toppings and baking times. I have heard people bake them in the BBQ but hubby won't try that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shortstack you just take a package of cresscent rolls and put in a cirlce with the points out....I usually take one and fill in the center of the circle.....make taco filling the same as if you were using taco shells....put that in the center and around the ring...pull up the points...the filling will be peeking out...bake for about 20 minutes.....you can use any kind of filling....I take broccoli and swiss cheese and add butter, spices and put that in the middle....you can also fill it with scrambled eggs and sausage bites or bacon....I use crescent rolls and spread nutella and add a few marshmallow and roll up.....and one time I had Halloween candy left over...those bite size snickers....I just wrapped them in a crescent roll and everyone loved them....
    Pinterest has a ton of ideas....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yep, I have been adding beans or lentils to things for ages. And I have some powdered egg substitute (more people cooking breakfast at home is knocking the heck out of the local egg supply! I also got 2 chickens today but most people don't have that option). I use the egg substitute in baking so I have eggs left for frying or boiling.
    I'm stretching my veggies a bit so I can eat cheaper ones and not get so bored. Again, this is due to more cooking at home but could apply to a shortage as well. Tomorrow I'm making ginger fermented carrots and if I have time, some sauerkraut. Just a quart of each. But they will keep for weeks without refrigeration and make tasty condiments to break up the monotony of a limited variety of foods or eating more beans (but beans PLUS sauerkraut will not suit digestive tracts used to meat and taters or fast-food).

One way to stretch things is just what you are doing with the bones...eat more of the food you have, waste less.

I'm also regrowing things from carrot tops, romaine lettuce root-ends and celery bases. If you put them in a little water, like an empty tuna can, and keep the water in there, you get a fresh batch of carrot tops (basically parsley), a smaller head of romaine lettuce, and some short celery stalks with leaves. Mostly it's fun, but it also helps me keep my "eat it all" mind set.

The other stretchy-thing, that I can't do right now as I have no freezer, is putting the remains of meat and veg dishes into a freezer container, all in a bunch, and thawing it, heating it up and having it as soup when it is full. If you cook basic things you can put an ounce of burger in here, left over broccoli-casserole there, and some dried out rice pilaf in and end up with a decent soup from things that would have gone in the compost or trash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieTru View Post
    yep, I have been adding beans or lentils to things for ages. And I have some powdered egg substitute (more people cooking breakfast at home is knocking the heck out of the local egg supply! I also got 2 chickens today but most people don't have that option). I use the egg substitute in baking so I have eggs left for frying or boiling.
    I'm stretching my veggies a bit so I can eat cheaper ones and not get so bored. Again, this is due to more cooking at home but could apply to a shortage as well. Tomorrow I'm making ginger fermented carrots and if I have time, some sauerkraut. Just a quart of each. But they will keep for weeks without refrigeration and make tasty condiments to break up the monotony of a limited variety of foods or eating more beans (but beans PLUS sauerkraut will not suit digestive tracts used to meat and taters or fast-food).

One way to stretch things is just what you are doing with the bones...eat more of the food you have, waste less.

I'm also regrowing things from carrot tops, romaine lettuce root-ends and celery bases. If you put them in a little water, like an empty tuna can, and keep the water in there, you get a fresh batch of carrot tops (basically parsley), a smaller head of romaine lettuce, and some short celery stalks with leaves. Mostly it's fun, but it also helps me keep my "eat it all" mind set.

The other stretchy-thing, that I can't do right now as I have no freezer, is putting the remains of meat and veg dishes into a freezer container, all in a bunch, and thawing it, heating it up and having it as soup when it is full. If you cook basic things you can put an ounce of burger in here, left over broccoli-casserole there, and some dried out rice pilaf in and end up with a decent soup from things that would have gone in the compost or trash.

I use powdered eggs too! I keep those on hand because they are great over night backpacking food. I also keep powdered milk on hand all the time.
    Do you add water to your leftover container when you are making it into soup or put a broth over it?
    We are debt free!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast