People Pc and AOl
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking People Pc and AOl

I got a peoplePc cd in the mail today, $10.95 a month for unlimited access, I am paying $28.90 a month for AOL. The main reason I was with AOL is because I could have it taken out of my checking account. I don't use credit cards. people PC now takes it out of your checking too!

So I decided to try it since I got a free month to check it out. I called AOL to cancel and the girl I talked to wanted to know why I was leaving, I told her price. She gave me links to all kinds of ways to get money back, like opinion place, which I have used several times before but saving $4.00 just isn't enough. So she gave me 2 free months of AOl while I try out the other service.

They must really be losing people to do that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a hard time switching off AOL because of a couple of message boards. So glad now that I got rid of that and got cable access & found all of you. Wouldn't have ventured outside of AOL because a lot of formats for message boards are too wierd. First time I came to the village it was user friendly and everyone was so nice I stayed.

AOL was fun except for the constant hassles with junk mail, freezing,etc. Good luck in finding what works for you Angie. Enjoy the free time.

Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob Karla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please post how the new service does for you...I've also go the peoples pc disk...which I'm going to send to adoptive mil...I'm also thinking of changing for the savings of $10 a mo....but I'd like to know if its good or not first.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

AOL is horrible! I don't know if things have changed or not- but when dh and I got together beginning of '98- he had AOL. Just about every night around supper time, they'd always call trying to sell some crap for the computer. We cancelled thinking the calls would stop. In the meantime, I had gotten a job working nights, so I slept during the day. Every friggin' day they'd call waking me up trying to get us back as customers. We finally had to change the phone # because of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I, too, had a bad experience with AOL. They just do not want to cancel an account and gave us the runaround for a few months about it. Now, they constantly send stupid CD's through the mail giving so many free hours trying to get us to come back. I am so glad to no longer have AOL!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am another anti-aol. You don't realize how bad they are until you have a service that you don't have to go thru all the pop ups of special offers just to get on the net. I also found you have to go to great lengths to cancel them.... The 2 free months is standard when you try to cancel.....but keep in mind you now have to call back again at the end of the 2 months to cancel. Pretty clever huh!
    Good luck I hope the other service works out for you

Registered User PennyPinchinPam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We cancelled our AOL in '97 and have never looked back. We use a small local ISP. My girlfriend who cancelled her AOL in December of last year is still fighting to get money back from them. They continued to charge her credit card even after she'd cancelled and stopped using their services. She didn't notice until 4 months ago they were doing it and she's still fighting them for a refund. They've requested proof from her, she has sent copies of her statements at least 4 times. They keep claiming that the account is closed and that she was not charged, then they tell her they never received the copies. They should be shut down. They are crooks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pam, have your friend send copies of her bank statement to them certified...all she needs is that nice little green card back in the mail to prove that they have recieved the copies..

Also when you call back to cancel again they will usually offer you another two free months of service.

My mom currently is using WMconnect...it's offered through walmart and it gives you access to where AOL and People PC and other cheap isps can't give local access numbers..it's $9.95/mo for unlimited access..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let me know how the People PC works for you Angie. I received it as well and was curious about it.