Another stupid question - about 'stuff' in food items

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Another stupid question - about 'stuff' in food items

Ok I've been looking at my labels LOL.

Nearly EVERYTHING has colour, preservative, E numbers or something completely unknown in it!

How do you know which of these things is 'ok' and which ones you'd rather be without. All without becoming too obsessional because otherwise the shopping will take all day LOL.

Is being 'simple' always this hard? ROFL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No being simple is not always this hard. And remember, there is no stupid question here friend.

First you look at the first 3 ingredients. What are those? Often its salt or sugar. Most of the things you can't say aren't good for you, BUT you can't get rid of everything. You need to start in baby steps here as well Bev.

Your family will REBEL BIG TIME if you change everything at once.

My suggestion is to begin to cook natural meals. By that I mean, fresh veggies, fruit and meat (if you eat meat). The processed stuff really is the stuff that isn't good for us, along with food colorings, but most times its the stuff we really like. Find some good recipes here at the village (we also have a wonderful cookbook) and begin starting there.

When your in stores purchasing your groceries, just do a check on canned items, processed meats, boxed cereals before you even get them home. Here is an example:

I have Apple Cinnamon Cheerios (a treat in our house). On the listing is :

Whole grain oats
    Sugar
    Wheat starch
    modified corn starch
    corn syrup
    dried apples
    soybean oil
    refiner's syrup
    salt
    calcium carbonate
    cinnamon
    trisodium phosphate
    tocopherols
    vitamins and minerals (and it states which ones)

Look at how many sugars are there in this box. sugar, corn syrup, refiner's syrup (all sugars). Look where the vitamins and minerals are, at the very bottom. See what I mean. Even dd doesn't like it because its tooooooo sweet!!!

BUT we can become obsessive with this and drive ourselves crazy. The best way not to do this, is to cook as natural as possible, making your own meals from scratch. Again, in baby steps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ugh, I know what you mean!

Right now the one I'm trying to stay away from is partially hydrogenated oils. Pretty much everything packaged might have that in it. I have found so called healthy breads with it even

I used to eat SKippy which was not only full of the hydrogenated oils, but it was wayyy too sweet as well. I am really happy with using all natural peanut butter now.

That was my first big change in eating. Now I'm trying to be more aware of the other things I eat a lot of...like flour tortilla's I just noticed have the hydrogenated oils...so back to reading lots of packages till i find one that doesn't have it

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very well explained CJ!

Alot of times our meals are, a meat, potatoes or rice and vegetables (peeled carrots, frozen peas or corn or mixed vegetables) and a salad. Therefore that takes all the guess work out of what is in things. I do alot of homemade baking and put it in the freezer so that eliminates store bought cookies and such. Cookies, muffins, squares, loaf etc. Now this isn't to say we never have convenience foods, not at all but the main part of our diet is without preservatives, chemicals etc.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heather, I find it amazing the ingredients in things that I never thought would be there or if they were it wouldn't be that much!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you C.J. - That makes things a little easier. I'm sure most things get complicated because they are linked to ME lol.

Heather - What's with the Oil - Is that bad for you??? You'll have to forgive me, when it comes to 'kitchen' I know nothing about anything!

And Heather (Calico) this is definately ME being so totally obsessional it's ridiculous - as I was reading your post I was thinking (ie the biscuits) It's ok not buying the finished product but how do you know what's in all the ingredients.

- I can't believe how crazy my mind works!!! I go from living almost totally on cigarettes and coffee, with the odd pizza thrown in - to worrying about what's in the BASE ingredients of things!

I think I need therapy - as I thought it, I realised how completely over the top I had gone!!!

So it was a useful post anyway, even if just to realise I don't have to be that CRAZY overnight!!!!!

I'm so embarrassed, I can't believe how my mind even got to thinking like that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hydrogenated oils are toxic in a nutshell. Here's a link to an article that explains it in great detail. One thing I learned from reading a bit from it...farmers won't even feed their PIGS hydrogenated oils becuase it kills them
    http://www.dldewey.com/hydroil.htm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bev, I love the way you think. It gets us all thinking and look at this thread. Were all learning something here. Don't ever think that because you want to learn things, that its wrong.

Your thread reminded me again of how we need to watch what comes into our home. I've looked at a couple of things and I haven't been all that careful of late, even though I do most of our meals from scratch. Just looking at this cereal box though I about had a heart attack.

Thanks Heather for that link!! I'm going to read it later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for that Heather - I'm going to read that as soon as I come home (I'm off to my mums) That is disgusting if it kills their pigs and we eat it LOL - The last couple of days nothing surprises me!

I think the thread was of value - but mostly to me, because it bought home how obsessed I get with things instantly. No babysteps for me! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great questions Bev and great answers all!
    Don't know if anyones mentioned it but the way the ingredients are listed means alot. The first ingredient listed is the most prominent ingredient and so on down the list.

oil, sugar,berries-not good
    berries first- better more berries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey cj, have you ever tried mixing the too sweet Apple Cinn. Cheerios with regular cheerios? My dsil taught me that trick. She would buy Frosted Flakes and mix them with regular corn flakes and store it in a pourable container. Her kids never minded and thought they were getting a treat.
    Thanks for the reminder about reading the ingredients labels, ladies. I scan the labels to make sure they are peanut free (dd has severe allergy) and make sure the item has some kind of nutrition (protein, calcium, vitamins or iron), but I was ignoring the partially hydrogenated soybean oil and msg in the several boxes of Cheese Nips that I got at Target for .25 last week on sale with a $1 coupon. Unfortunately we all like them!

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bev, we LOVE your questions, we are all learning!

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BlessedMommy~thanks for the idea of mixing!