Frugal Village Forums banner

how much time do you spend on the computer each day?

2K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  dcompton 
#1 ·
Before I retired from my writing job I used to spend over half my life on my computers - I had several. My normal day would be 10 hours on the computer but I often worked 12 hours and sometimes 18 hours. I did this from 1988 until last November - 15 years!

One of the reasons I closed my business down was that I wanted to experience the natural world more than the cyber world. I wanted to touch natural things instead of only plastic keys on a keyboard and I didn't want a screen between me and what I had in front of me.

Now I spend no more than one or two hours per day on the computer and I tend to do it in bits and pieces. I come online first thing in the morning (now) and then revisit again during the day, depending on what else is happening in my "real" world.

How long do you spend on your computer each day?

#8 ·
It varies so much, depending on my work, school and family schedules.

Average is 2 hours a day, with more on days when I don't have anything else to do.

I'm also hopelessly addicted to the village and it's my first stop in the morning and my last stop at night.

#12 ·
Probably an average of 4 hours a day (gasp!) between enjoying myself here at FV, searching for recipes, doing searches for dh (he hates the computer), looking at homeschooling related stuff, putting library books on hold and searching the library database, etc.

#13 ·
Um, can I plead the 5th? :blush:
Let me preface this by saying that I pay almost all my bills online, bank online and communicate with dh's relatives and fellow church members via email. So, I would say I average, 2.5 hours a day online. Somedays way less, some days even more. :blush:

#14 ·
I'm on here too much sometimes. Usually average about 2-3 hours a day on the week and probably a lot more on the weekends. FV is one of my only website stops now. I spend some time shopping on ebay for Christmas and on a wedding site that is similar to this one, except it's all about weddings.

#16 ·
I don't see being on the computer and being online as being a bad thing. It is what it is. It's a means of communication and entertainment, as well as a huge library and research facility. It's just that, for me, I got to a point where I was too technical and work oriented. I needed a break and to reaquaint myself with the natural world. It's been very good for me to remove myself from my computer but I also enjoy coming back from time to time. I know now when I've spent too much time online, I go a bit troppo and start getting restless. Then I know to walk away.

#18 ·
Gosh, I guess I spend at least 4 hours during the week. :eek: Weekends are usually more. I usually don't spend that time continuously. I IM with my cousin, play games, email, check the village, and one other place.

#20 ·
I spend one half to one hour a day during the week, and often no time at all on the weekends. I usually come here and check in briefly throughout the day. I enjoy the village immensely, but would get nothing done if I hung out any more! :)

#22 ·
If I am not at work, I spend way to much time on the computer, unless Joe is also off. If he is at work, then I turn it on in the morning and e-mail my mom and come to the village (probably on here an hour or so) then I take a break, read, watch TV do laundry, eat, etc.

I come back on in the afternoon to play catch up one the village and e-mail and then spend as much as 2-3 hours on line.

If I am at work and we are slow and I am the only one here then I come to the village to make the day go by quicker. If I open that puts me here off and on from 7:45AM-about noon and if I close then I am here off and on from 3-7. Saturdays we work alone and it is boring so if it is my Saturday to work then I am on the computer from about 8:45AM-5PM between customers and pack jobs or copy jobs.

#23 ·
2+ or - it depends on whats going on. If I'm im'ing I'm on longer. Have a hard time surfing & iming at the same time.:D

#24 ·
:toothy: I spend a lot of time on the computer..too much!

I get up in the morning and visit the boards I host on iVillage then I check my e-mail then I come here. I usually split my fun time between the Village and other message boards, I research medical conditions for my freelance job. I then will do the necessary household chores all the while I get back on line when there is a break in my day.

So on and off I'm on the computer 8-10 hours a day some times even more. :bag:

#25 ·
I think on average for me it's about 1.5 hrs. daily for the whole week. I'm on more during the week and less on the weekends. Lots of time I leave the computer on all day, hooked to the internet and just pop in and out for 15 minutes here and there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.