How Frugal Village Has Helped Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How Frugal Village Has Helped Me

This is the only website I have ever posted to on the web.  Luckily, I've had a long vacation at home, so I've had more time than normal to spend on the computer.  I usually don't waste my time talking in chat rooms or posting anywhere.  I admit, I do IM, but to me that is multi-tasking because I'm usually doing research, reading mail, sending mail, or doing work on the computer.

I have friends and family I can talk to, and I live in an urban area so there is always something to do.  For the past month or so, I've checked the FV site frequently throughout the day when I've been on the computer.  At first, I read all the articles, and I didn't pay much attention to the forums.  That is, until I found them useful.  It wasn't just chit chat.  So, I became intrigued, read several posts, and then I was hooked.

The nice thing about FV is it hasn't become commercialized...yet!  There aren't bothersome pop-ups, ads, etc. . . You know, you've probably seen them on other sites.  So, Sara, you really have made this feel like a village.  It seems to be a place where a small group of woman share their everyday life, highs and lows. 

When I first started reading the threads to the Frugal Challenge, I didn't think too much of it. I didn't post there for awhile.  Then, I guess, it clicked.  By posting on the challenges, I became more accountable to myself.  I'm a naturally competitive person, so I thought, "Well, if she can do that, then I certainly can."

I've read all the Tightwad Gazette books at least twice. I read articles about money, making money, saving money, etc. . .  I've always been money conscious; always looking for the best deal.  I've read Suze Orman's books, David Bach's books. I tried to read of the Dave Ramsey's books, but I just couldn't get into it. I thought it was a bunch of fluff. Maybe I just picked the wrong one.  There was just one at the library.  I always click on things on the web about saving money, trying to learn new things.

I found FV after deciding that my debt was too high.  I'm lucky as I have a full-time job with a moderately good income. I also sell a lot on ebay, and do o.k with that.  So, what's the problem?  The problem is I've spent the last 5 years working two jobs, haven't had much leisure time, found myself without a hefty savings account, and I thought. . . where did all the money go?

Thankfully, what I did do right is retirement planning.  $300 every two weeks goes into my 401K plan, and I was putting only $50 into my Roth IRA. 

By the next August, I plan on having all my credit debt paid off.   It's a hefty sum, but it can be done.

I still plan on contributing to my 401K plan, and my Roth IRA.  In fact, I'm increasing my Roth up to $100 every month. Once I pay off my credit cards, I'll max out my Roth IRA.

I'll pay my minimums on all my credit cards except for the featured card of the month which I'll pay off in full using my extra cash I earn and all the surplus I have.

I figure I'm going initially aim for $1,000 in my EF account, then I'll continually add a little bit to it each month.

There's always something to learn at FV. Also, the challenges keep me motivated and focused.  It's nice to be around like minded people.  FV has become a habit.  Therefore, being frugal daily has become a habit. 

I'm looking forward to being debt-free sooner, rather than later.  FV is a great forum for frugality, friendship, and becoming financially free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a lovely post! This really is a very special place to many of us, glad you are here to enjoy and add to it Shopgirl.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The funny thing is SHOPGIRL, that when I made the most money I saved the least. I was so tired and stressed out I had no energy for thinking about anything else.

I work less now but I am wiser with money! I have learned that if take a little off each cheque and put it in a savings account I have some money saved. I've learned that if I don't use/abuse my credit cards I don't have credit card debt.

It is a great feeling!

We are glad that you've joined us. I find this a very positive, supportive place and I am proud to be a part of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so glad you found a place to feel at home at. At its the truth, this place will make you think and inspire you in ways you never thought possible.

My odyssey started with Frugal Moms. That was my first eye-opener. After that it was a slow process til I landed here. My journey continues!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The thing I like best about this place is, while the ladies come from all walks of life, there is no discrimination. I'm a Wiccan and when I would mention that casually in other forums, I'd be bombarded with accusations of devil worship and people trying to convert me to Christianity. When I initially came here, I noticed a lot of you discussing how important God is in your lives, and while I do not share your beliefs, I respect them completely. However, it made me nervous at first, because I'd been so terribly treated on some other sites, so I kept a lot of my personal views to myself and just kind of lurked for a while.

It wasn't long before I saw the diversity of this site and how everyone was so nonchalant about it! No one cared that one person was a different religion, or one person had a certain political view, or someone else dissagreed with the way someone reacted to a certain situation. Everyone had their own opinions and views, and all were respected and viewed as equals.

I felt completely at home here, with my beliefs, my faith, my morals, my opinons and my sense of humor! I've been very comfortable sharing many things with you ladies, and it's made the experience of FV so much better for me. I don't mind asking questions and knowing I won't get a "What a stupid question" kind of answer. You're all real people with real personalities and you're all very comfortable with the way things go here. It's extremely refreshing.

Thank you for your acceptance and just for being your lovely selves!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shopgirl, I'm glad you feel the urge to contribute to the threads. FV is such a wonderful place because of the input of everyone who comes here. You've posted some interesting material, stimulated debate and have the curiosity that makes a great member.

I came to FV more for simple living than frugality. I'd never been frugal, I had a good job that paid well and enjoyed life without thinking much about the financial aspects of it. But then I closed down my business and wanted to focus on living a life that satisfied me and gave me a sense of genuineness. I wanted to slow down, discover my neighbours, cultivate generosity and become the person I believed myself to be. FV helped me do that but it also showed me that being frugal was a part of simplicity.

There is always something new to learn here. Just as soon as I think I know my topic, I find even more new directions to follow. That is very satisfying to me as I love to go to bed every night knowing that I haven't wasted my day and that I've learned something I didn't previosly know.

It's good to have new energetic members here at the village. It's a great feeling to share one's life with like minded people and to learn from them. I'm glad you're here and I hope you continue posting for a long time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great post Shop. This site can teach people about just about everytning and thats why I love it so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That was a very nice post Shopgirl. I love FV too and have learned so much here. I truly enjoy the commaradarie of likeminded people b/c I don't find that much of it with frugality in RL. I have also begun my quest on simple living and that too has made me feel happy to visit FV on an almost daily basis. Thanks for sharing your point of view, it's nice to hear that others feel the same.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SHOPGIRL, what a wonderful post. This is a wonderful place, with very smart ladies. You've added so much since you've joined us and I for one am very glad that you did.

Thanks for posting your heart. It means alot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your post. It means a lot to me. I'm happy that members enjoy it, but am even more happy when it makes a difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love FV for all the above reasons, and so thankful to be able to come here everyday....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My name is Karen and I am a Frugal Village Addict

Since I had to give up work, I found myself quite isolated, as I no longer had any "work mates" to natter to, but coming on here and chatting to my frugal pals is, for me quite uplifting and comforting and I am one happy bunny if anyone replies to any threads that I start, it makes me feel less like Norma-No-Mates

:toothy

I LOVE the Village and got quite "Homesick" for y'all when I went away on my Holiday

To Sara for her vision Cheers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At the village my friends are all on the same page as me...This keeps me going and helped me to realize I am not alone!

Thank you!

Graci

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Gee... I posted this thread last month. All of a sudden it has reappeared.

I must of written this late at night. I guess I just felt the urge to express myself! I've lurked around other sites, and they're o.k. A lot of sites have good information, but FV seems to have a different twist. It seems more like small town living. . .just sitting around drinking a cup of coffee or tea, sharing stories and ideas. A lot of people out there in my "real world" don't really get the benefits to living the simple life so it really is nice to have a place to share with like-minded people.

Plus, everyone here seems to be normal people. Other places I've checked out, people are just plain weird! Spending time here at FV is time well-spent.

So, I'm glad I stumbled upon this site. My dh laughs at me when I talk about FV. He doesn't really "get it" that FV is a social place to be. It's not all about how many ways you can reuse paper bags or save a buck. He says, "Your on that site again?" I find myself during my lunch hour, logging onto FV and checking the new posts. It's far more entertaining than listening to my co-workers.

So, I'll be around for a long time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast