What Second Hand Items are Taboo for you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What Second Hand Items are Taboo for you?

As I continue to de-junk and scale down my stuff, I find I have things like Underwear that is New or worn one time only,(l washed it of course! but then never worn again

Also things like pierced Ear rings and shoes that have only been worn a couple of times............

It seems such a shame to have things like this but I know that most of our Charity shops don't take things like Knickers, no matter how new they are and I have no one to give these type of things to, it seems a criminal shame to not be able to "recycle" them. ( I pass everything else on to the Charity shops).

So what items would you NEVER buy second-hand or what items would you only want NEW?

I am open to ideas as to what to do with these items...........

Karen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I never buy used underwear. I know that is silly as it can be washed and bleached but it just bothers me. I will buy shoes used if they are new or like new condition and spray them with lysol before wearing. Other than that, not much that can not be cleaned with bleach or whatever to sanitize before using!

I know what you mean. Some things that I toss out, I hate to see go to waste. Maybe a homeless shelter or batteed womens shelter would accept these items??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Karen - if you have underwear or other items of clothing that are too torn or stained to be worn by anyone else mark the bag as *rags* when you take them to the charity shop. All the charities I have worked for sell their rags to a recycling firm so they can still make money from them . HTH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't buy underwear or face cloths second hand. Shoes, sheets, towels, clothes, etc. yeah, no problem -- they can be cleaned. But the idea of wearing another lady's undies is... ewwy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I won't buy underwear, bathing suits, socks, shoes or sippy cups second hand. (I sometimes make an exception on kids' shoes if they only look like they've been worn a time or two and will buy any of the above items if they still have tags.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, Karen! Good question!!!
    If the undergucci's are still in the pack --unopened-- they will take them. Believe me it happens. My ex - dh bought my daughter size 18 panties when she wore an 8 - 10 ladies. I never returned them...just never got around to it.

I have become very selective about 2nd hand purchases. Not because of the $bling$ but because of the clutter factor. FlyLady has a lot to answer for...giggle

Last week I went to 5 yard sales and only bought a set of glasses from the last yard sale (car boot sale) I stopped at. It was an unsettling feeling. In previous y.s. seasons I wouldn't have left a single one w/o something!

Gotta go... Flying high
    Graci

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't buy underwear, make-up second-hand.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I won't buy undies, shoes, sheets, swimsuits, or pajamas that are used.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make up & underwear. I know the underwear could be washed , it's just the thought of wearing someone elses clothing from that area would make me feel icky. But if I had to I would wear it.

Some people can't afford to buy underwear and should be able get it second hand. A proper wash with hot water and detergent would make them germ free.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shoes, underware, bathing suits. I never thought about pierced earings but now that I think about it, with today's blood diseases I don' t think I would buy those either. The shoes can hurt your feet and after spending a childhood in corrective shoes and leg braces I will pass on those, along with foot fungus ect...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by britbunny
    Karen - if you have underwear or other items of clothing that are too torn or stained to be worn by anyone else mark the bag as *rags* when you take them to the charity shop. All the charities I have worked for sell their rags to a recycling firm so they can still make money from them . HTH
    Sadly these are totally NEW, maybe tried on & discounted as a "bad purchase" but they have been washed once and thus don't have "tags"............

Maybe I could try the "Womens Shelter" see if they want them?

Good Idea about the really "raggy" things, I tend not to give those, because it seems a lot of people are just dumping complete trash on the Charity shops and I don't want to be one of'em!

So I give them the good stuff and make dusters with the rest

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dont like used undies or makeup. I have bought swimsuits, but had them cleaned. Im a little leary of used sandles or anything worn with bare feet. Im fine with sheets, towels and other items I can have cleaned.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd have to say first and foremost, undies! ACK! Shoes, also. I actually dig most second hand clothes that I purchase--already worn in!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Any underthings. Unless they are sealed in the store package
    That means no socks, no nylons, no tights, no underwear , no bras...

ETA: no make-up, towels, or sheets either. Gives me the heeby geebies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Undergarments, Bedding, Hats, Hair piecies, brushes/combs. mittens/gloves, swimsuits, socks

I don't have piercings on my body and don't wear makeup so I don't worry about that stuff when I'm shopping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast