Frugal Village Forums banner

What Second Hand Items are Taboo for you?

2K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  kaykwilts 
#1 ·
As I continue to de-junk and scale down my stuff, I find I have things like Underwear that is New or worn one time only,(l washed it of course!;) but then never worn again:(

Also things like pierced Ear rings and shoes that have only been worn a couple of times............

It seems such a shame to have things like this but I know that most of our Charity shops don't take things like Knickers, no matter how new they are:confused: and I have no one to give these type of things to, it seems a criminal shame to not be able to "recycle" them. ( I pass everything else on to the Charity shops).

So what items would you NEVER buy second-hand or what items would you only want NEW?

I am open to ideas as to what to do with these items...........

Karen:)

#2 ·
I never buy used underwear. I know that is silly as it can be washed and bleached but it just bothers me. I will buy shoes used if they are new or like new condition and spray them with lysol before wearing. Other than that, not much that can not be cleaned with bleach or whatever to sanitize before using!

I know what you mean. Some things that I toss out, I hate to see go to waste. Maybe a homeless shelter or batteed womens shelter would accept these items??:angel2:

#3 ·
Karen - if you have underwear or other items of clothing that are too torn or stained to be worn by anyone else mark the bag as *rags* when you take them to the charity shop. All the charities I have worked for sell their rags to a recycling firm so they can still make money from them . HTH

#6 ·
Hi, Karen! Good question!!!
If the undergucci's are still in the pack --unopened-- they will take them. Believe me it happens. My ex - dh bought my daughter size 18 panties when she wore an 8 - 10 ladies. I never returned them...just never got around to it.

I have become very selective about 2nd hand purchases. Not because of the $bling$ but because of the clutter factor. FlyLady has a lot to answer for...giggle

Last week I went to 5 yard sales and only bought a set of glasses from the last yard sale (car boot sale) I stopped at. It was an unsettling feeling. In previous y.s. seasons I wouldn't have left a single one w/o something!

Gotta go... :) Flying high
Graci

#9 ·
Make up & underwear. I know the underwear could be washed , it's just the thought of wearing someone elses clothing from that area would make me feel icky. But if I had to I would wear it.

Some people can't afford to buy underwear and should be able get it second hand. A proper wash with hot water and detergent would make them germ free.

#10 ·
Shoes, underware, bathing suits. I never thought about pierced earings but now that I think about it, with today's blood diseases I don' t think I would buy those either. The shoes can hurt your feet and after spending a childhood in corrective shoes and leg braces I will pass on those, along with foot fungus ect...

#11 ·
britbunny said:
Karen - if you have underwear or other items of clothing that are too torn or stained to be worn by anyone else mark the bag as *rags* when you take them to the charity shop. All the charities I have worked for sell their rags to a recycling firm so they can still make money from them . HTH
Sadly these are totally NEW, maybe tried on & discounted as a "bad purchase":( but they have been washed once and thus don't have "tags"............

Maybe I could try the "Womens Shelter" see if they want them?

Good Idea about the really "raggy" things, I tend not to give those, because it seems a lot of people are just dumping complete trash on the Charity shops and I don't want to be one of'em!

So I give them the good stuff and make dusters with the rest:D

#12 ·
I dont like used undies or makeup. I have bought swimsuits, but had them cleaned. Im a little leary of used sandles or anything worn with bare feet. Im fine with sheets, towels and other items I can have cleaned.

#14 ·
Any underthings. Unless they are sealed in the store package ;)
That means no socks, no nylons, no tights, no underwear :eek: , no bras...

ETA: no make-up, towels, or sheets either. Gives me the heeby geebies!

G
#16 ·
No underwear or socks - just gross. Also shoes, I know my feet sweat a lot and figure maybe I'm not the only one.

Also makeup. Just too many germs floating around there. I would buy earrings, but I would soak them in alcohol before wearing them.

#19 ·
The used undies (also slips, good nighties, pajamas, socks, etc.) can be given to nursing homes, especially the ones run by the state or county. My dh is a chemist, and he says that a couple of tablespoons of bleach kills anything in a washer, and is not enough to ruin colors. I used training undies given to me by other people for my ds, and I had a huge stack of them. If he did a really nasty poop in them, I especially when we were out, into the trash they went.
As far is the undies, some of the county nursing homes have people that have very little personal money, as most of it is taken up by their medications and the room. And if they have no relatives......
Englishlady, I don't know what you call nursing homes-I am talking about elderly housing, especially ones on public assistance
And chemist isn't a pharmacist (dispensing medications) it's someone who works in a laboratory lol.

#21 ·
Maybe I'm weird...

I won't buy underpants used cuz that's just nasty, nor socks because they wear out too fast, I'd rather have new.

I have bought used bras - I'm hard to fit and when I find a $48 bra for $4, I snatch it up! I've also bought used swim suits for me and the dd's.

Not only do I buy and use 2nd hand bedsheets, but I also buy cute ones and cut them up to make little girls' sundresses (cotton) and nightgowns (flannel).

On occasion I have bought used dress shoes for the dd's or sneakers that either had tags, or looked VERY new. Shoes are on a case-by-case basis.

Maybe someone you know would be interested in your knickers. :laugh:

Oh, and when I had my yard sale, I set out used girls' undies & socks for free (I didn't feel right charging for them, but thought someone might really need them.) Well, a creepy man hauled them off. It was very Ewww... I prayed for him and the undies and little girls everywhere.

#23 ·
I won't buy used makeup. It's not sanitary to wear makeup worn by someone else. I know you can laundry panties and everything but I just never have purchased them. I am particular about the brand I wear. I did purchase three bras recently at a yard sale but they were new in the package and the exact brand and size that I wear.

It's funny that people won't buy used underwear but they don't mind buying used sheets or sleeping on used sheets in hotel rooms and hospitals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.