What if the previous owner RECOGNIZED your 2nd-hand purchase?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What if the previous owner RECOGNIZED your 2nd-hand purchase?

Have you ever given any thought to what you'd say if the previous owner of something you bought at a thrift store .... recognized and commented on your outfit?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[The thought occurred to me after I bought a distinctinctive grey wool cape ... (at least I think it's wool). And I live in a small town. What would I do if someone said, "Isn't that Susan's cape?"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's never been a concern to me. . .however, I don't buy my kids clothing at yard sales in our town for this very reason. I've seen other kids tormented horribly for wearing someone else's clothing--- so I buy at other towns, thrift stores, etc. where no one here knows. My kids have learned to simply reply "my mom got it for me" when asked where any given item was purchased.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't give it a second thought.....at least the person who recognizes my outfit will know that I have the same great taste in clothing...LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, it has crossed my mind, but it hasnt happend yet...knock on wood! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too wouldnt give it a second thought, I would just thank them for their compliment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will say I have had that thought pop in my mind a few times, but the one thrift store I go to the most isn't in this town.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by strugglingmomof3
    I too wouldnt give it a second thought, I would just thank them for their compliment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't mind it at all. One time years ago I went to Catos and got a purple pantsuit for 22.00 ... I went to a local fashion show because I had contributed some door prizes from my giftshop. Anyway the ladies there and in the fashion show had on mega buck outfits and I had several come up to me to compliment me on my pantsuit, several asked me oh where did you get that? I did not hesitate to say for 22.00 at Catos

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had this happen not too long ago. I was talking to a friend who I turned on to a consinment shop. She was commenting on my pants. I told her I got them at Frieda's. She freaked and said I took them there. Turns out I bought another pair of her pants. LOL I told her to give me a call next time she was taking any in and we could cut out the middle man.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If they mentioned to me that the blouse I was wearing used to be theres, I would simply say "Thanks for donating it, I love it"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i like pepper's response. i'll have to remember that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool

i have given away almost everything i've ever crafted and often see people running around in the hats i've knitted, the kid's sweaters i've crocheted....and i smile. i know that doesn't have the same 'feel' to it as if it were from a thrift store, but i mention it now because most of those items are given to the local food bank for the lower income families! i know, by seeing them, that those crafted items have found a HOME. i've never said anything to anyone, nor do i worry about my thrift store purchases. also, i am part of the local freecycle group. myself and the other locals of this small town i'm in pass things along. it's a way of life, even though we're in a thriving tourist town! "small town" is a lifestyle, not a place, for me. with all that said, i'd like to add one more thing.....our society focusses too much on material things.

WTG to everyone that has the presence of mind to seek out those fantastic frugal finds!

Christine

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Several years ago I saw a lady wearing a dress I sold her at a yard sale. It was a one of a kind dress since I had sewn it myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought my prom dress at a "yard sale" held by my high school - one of the girls in my class was Miss Dance USA and she was selling a lot of her old outfits - I paid $5 for it (and $25 for alterations). At the prom she did say "Oh wow, that dress looks really good on you!" and then looked a little awkward - I don't think she was trying to embarass me - and I just said, "Thank-you. I like your dress too." and we didn't say anything else for the rest of the night.

That was still my second all time favorite dress I ever wore (next to my wedding dres) - it went through a couple of cousins before it was donated again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast