Please, I need some advice on dealing with my parents/renters

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry Please, I need some advice on dealing with my parents/renters

My parents rent from my dh and I. We share a yard. We have all been living here for a year now. Dh and I love it here, and are particular about how our home, and yard is kept up. Our yard is big and gorgeous. My parents have never been the type to want to take care of anything. They have clutter everywhere, and don't care if the grass is mowed, trash picked up, etc. I hate this! Today my dad drove his truck through the yard, and parked it. They know that we hate this because if it rains when he comes back out of it it will tear the grass up. What do I do? I feel like telling them to move, but how can I? They raised me, and were great parents as far as parenting goes. They are also very stubborn. Please, I really need your advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only thing that I can think of that I would do in that situation, is send them a letter saying their rent will be raised or they will be fined for the clutter and unkept yard?

I'm sorry this is happening to you
    It's always tough to tell things like this to family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your parents are alot like mine as far as yardwork, and you are alot like my dh and I. Here, we have 1 truck in the driveway that doesn't run and needs to be taken to the junkyard- and my DH is losing his mind over it.

Unfortunately, family likes to take advantage of situations thinking they can get away with whatever they want because "it's not like you'll evict them". Renting is a business- and you know what they say about business and families. What I would do in your situation is put up a fence across the part where your dad drives onto the lawn. If that area is just off the driveway- I'm sure that will look fine (just don't put in a big enough gate for him to drive through). As for their clutter- if you don't have the room in the basement- I'd put up a shed for them to keep their stuff in.

Believe me, I know fencing and already made sheds (if your dh isn't handy)are insanely expensive- so jack up their rent to reflect the cost. Plus, if you do that and they move- I know around here, an apartment with a fenced in yard and storage space are worth big bucks. You would eventually get your money back and thensome.

Good luck to you! Please don't let your parents disrespect your property just because they feel you aren't going to do anything.

Laura

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Renting to family is tough and not really a good idea for the families peace of mind. I guess all I can say is this: You have to weigh how important all this stuff is to you against the possibility of hurting or alienating your family.

If trash and car parking on the lawn are the only issues I think I would look up city ordinances, which you should know as a landlord. You could then run a copy and give to them saying the city has sighted you and if there is a fine they will be responsible for the payment of it. Good Luck Deb

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ugh, I find anything to do that concerns money and family (extended) is usually a hot topic. I would tell them that it's really bothering you about the mess and you and dh feel that it has to be cleaned up or they should probably start looking for another place. Good luck sweetie, this is a tough one.