Anyone from Massachusetts?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone from Massachusetts?

I'm curious to know a little about living in MA. We are from the deep South, Alabama. My husband is thinking of applying for a job near Bedford MA. Is anyone from there or near there? From what I've seen, it looks like a very historical, sweet little town. I was wondering about schools, the housing market, etc...

From my research it looks like housing is pretty high. I am spoiled to great home prices here in the South.

Thanks for any info.

Whitney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can answer any specific questions you may have. I have lived in MA all my life. I live about 30 miles NW of Boston and about 1/2 hr from Bedford. Bedford is a beautiful town...all housing is expensive in Mass. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Burlington is a bit less expensive than Bedford and is close by.

PM me if you want to chat

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

*eta school information:

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/citylist/MA

http://www.greatschools.net/city/Bedford/MA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live about 45 minutes west of Bedford (in Worcester). I think that compared to down south, just about anywhere in MA housing will be more expensive. Actually, Massachusetts in general is an expensive state to live in.

Bedford is a very pretty, historical town. I wouldn't mind living there myself, except our friends and family are out this way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I in MA about 10 minutes to Bedford. It's a nice town. Schools are good too. A little expensive compared to the south even with the market slow down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bedford is a nice little town, be aware, your car insurance (probably taxes too) will be much higher.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you so much for your replies. It seems like a nice place. Just expensive. He hasn't applied for the job yet, and who knows if he'll get it. I was just a little curious about the area. I've lived in the same town for 25 years, it might be nice to have a change. I'm sure it will be quite the culture shock coming from Alabama!

Thanks again,

Whitney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in NH, about an hour north of Boston. A lot of people that live in my town commute to MA. I don't think real estate is that much cheaper in my area than MA, but we don't have sales tax. A typical ranch on the seacoast of NH is going for $300,000. Prices seem to be coming down a little, though.

Good luck with your decision.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have live in MA my whole life. I live a short distance to Bedford, in Burlington Housing in MA is expensive. Another post said that Burlington is less expensive. In comparison the other towns around Beford, like Lexington, Concord, Carlisle, it is less expensive. You can still find reasonable houses here if your willing to live in an older neighborhood, in a older fixer upper. New house prices start around 600 thousand. And now Contractors have beed knocking down the smaller 1960's or older style ranches to put up these mcmansions. Prices here have jumped a bit since the boston Globe newspaper published an article a year or two ago that Burlington was one of the hidden Jewels of Suburban Boston. I dont know about schools in beford, but burlington schools are pretty good. Other towns in the area are also more affordable that Bedord. That would be Billerica and Tewksbury. Let me know what you think.