have you ever heard of this before - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, this is the first time I have heard of this happening. I don't have a Visa though, and I don't usually check the things I have charged until I get my statement in the mail. I always check it when it comes to make sure all is correct. I am sorry this happened to you, I would trust what you have heard from the manager and then keep the receipt for a back up in case you need it. I will make sure when I leave a cash tip to write a zero in the tip space from now on after I sign off on it!!!!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have never had an extra 15% charge on my Visa for a tip, even for a preauthorization.

I know many places, whether you use a debit or credit card, preauthorize your account for a certain amount. Gas stations can preauthorize you up to 75$. The preauthorization falls off at the expiration period and then it hard posts to your account, and when it hard posts, it's for the right amount.

If by chance it's not, you can dispute the charges.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What happens is the credit card company puts a "hold" on the amount plus 15% until the charges from that day are all CLOSED out on the restaurant credit card transactions for the day. The reason is something like this- say you have $50 in the bank, dinner comes to $30, and you write in a 15% tip. These tips get "edited" at the end of the evening, added to your charge card before all the transactions are closed out for the day. If the credit card did not place a hold on this amount, and you went to get gas or groceries on your debit card in the amount of say, $19.55 (leaving .45 in your account) then when the restaurant tried to add the tip, it would not go through. I used to be a cashier in a restaurant. Even if you leave the tip on the table, the credit card company does not know that a tip will not be added until all transactions for that day are CLOSED. The tip can be added anytime between the original charge, and the close of that day's credit card receipts. Then your card is charged the actual amount.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok, I don't have a credit card, so I really am in the dark on this one. So I have to ask this question: If she paid for the bill, let's say it was $100, on her Visa, and Visa automatically paid out another 15% for tip, that would make it $115. So when the transaction goes through, it's supposed to be for the lesser amount, which is $100. So where does the other $15 dollars go or come from? Does Visa pay it, or is it completely whiped out and the server doesn't get the 15% tip? I'm very confused.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=i.m.cheap;665573]What happens is the credit card company puts a "hold" on the amount plus 15% until the charges from that day are all CLOSED out on the restaurant credit card transactions for the day. The reason is something like this- say you have $50 in the bank, dinner comes to $30, and you write in a 15% tip. These tips get "edited" at the end of the evening, added to your charge card before all the transactions are closed out for the day. If the credit card did not place a hold on this amount, and you went to get gas or groceries on your debit card in the amount of say, $19.55 (leaving .45 in your account) then when the restaurant tried to add the tip, it would not go through.QUOTE]

but what doesn't make sense to me is why the cc company has the right to 'assume' you are leaving a 15% tip in the first place? Say your senario is exact, I only have $50, spend $30 on dinner & another $19.55 on gas - if there isn't enough in my acct to cover the tip, shame on me, but a tip is not mandantory when you dine out - ((don't get me wrong, I'm not that cheap, I just don't understand how the cc comp has the right to do this))

Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob baronmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in PA, and I have it happen all the time. As a matter of fact, it happened to me on Friday night. I want to make sure that it clears right cause they charged the entire 15 % tip on a bill that was paid by 4 different people to my card. (it was one bill but we all paid our part separate) We also left the tip on the table. I hate it that they do it, but it does happen all the time. They also can do it at the gas pump too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This has happened to us, also, when using our bank Mastercard debit card. Like others, I got a bit upset over it at first, but it always has cleared for the correct amount.

--Michelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ive never had it happen to me at a resturant, but i know hotel/motels do that. they'll reserve a 'block' of credit on your card so you cant use that amount until all your charges are in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had this same thing happen to me at a tea house where I was buying a non-food item (a gift). I called the manager when I noticed online that the amount was higher and he explained that they add on a certain amount (probably 15%, if I recall correctly) and said when it cleared my account it would be for the actual amount without the fee. I really don't get this and think it is wrong for them to charge anything to your account above what you actually authorize! Even if it is only temporary! I think it confuses lots of people too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well i could see this at a hotel in case you had room service or pay per view movie, but not a shop where you had already purchased your item and left.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Back in the Dark Ages, when I was a cocktail server and someone wanted to start a tab, I took their card and ran an "approval" for a random amount that I guessed they would spend (4 people for drinks, a couple of appetizers, plus tip... maybe $50).

When it was time to pay the bill, I ran the card for a "sale" in the actual amount of food/drink purchased, plus the actual amount the customer wrote in for tip.

Today's banking world moves much faster, so you see the 'approval' before the sale goes thru. In the past, the customer would only have seen the 'sale' amount.

This also sometimes happens at the gas pump, especially when using credit (rather than debit). When you first swipe the card, they put on a 'hold' for $50 or whatever. Later, they process actual sale, which for you might be $36 or $85 (if you're my crazy friend with the Suburban).

It should all be correct by tomorrow.

And BTW, Justpeachy... while dining out is rarely (never?) frugal. It is your money and you are free to spend it how you please. I hope you enjoyed your dinner out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am not so stressed now. This was just a first for me, haven't had it happen at the gas pump yet, but I have noticed that the places I get gas it takes up to a week before it even come up as a pending transaction. LOl Valeria the sad thing is we didn't enjoy the dinner. My dh and ds both got burgers that were extremely well done, they were so dry you gagged on them trying to chew a bite and swallow. Then for dessert we got molten lava cake things. The one my dh and ds shared was wonderful, the one I shared with my dd was overcooked and no gooey chocolate center. We have eaten at Applebees before and the food was always good, so I think this meal was because this one just opened recently and the employees are still in the training phase.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think the 15% tip they hold on your card is so much an "assumption" that you'll pay as a guess based on the average tip that IS left by customers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

holy cow! i would be so stinking mad. good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish I had seen this earlier....all will be fine. Most resturants we eat at do this and we leave the tip on the table as well, but once it clears from pending it will be for the right amount. It scared me the first time I noticed it to, but now that I know about it I don't re-check the transaction til its had time to clear the bank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12