have you ever heard of this before
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default have you ever heard of this before

Last night we went to Applebees for dinner, I know not very frugal....but I spent the day cleaning and didn't want to mess up the kitchen. So anywho after we got home I checked my online banking and see that they charged me more then what I signed to authorize on my receipt. I called the manager about it and he said that is because visa (paid with my visa check card) automatically charges 15% for a tip. We left a cash tip on the table for the server that was 20% of the bill, so how I see it the server made 35% tip, and he wasn't even a good server. So the manager told me that the visa does this automatically, that even though the higher amount is showing as a pending transaction, that when it becomes a posted transaction it should be for the lesser amount. This has me confused and wondering if he is right or just pulling my leg.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ummm.. that sounds kind of suspicious. I would check with Visa. Why would a credit card company just automatically assume you're paying for a tip when so many people might "charge" the dinner and pay for tip in cash?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes, the manager was correct ~ as stupid as it is - the cc company automatically fluffs your payment up to cover the tip - when it clears the bank, it will only be for how much it was supposed to be. don't worry

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is not true Visa does not do this, I am sure the server did this! You sign a slip with the total amount, I would take it back to Applebees and ask for your money back if the higher amount goes through your bank, never have I heard of such a thing and we use to dine there often. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info bumplett, I have been trying not to but yet stressing about this all day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes its true, visa does automatically put a 15% onto your charge. I had the same thing happen to me once when I picked up a take out pizza. The charge will actually be what you left minus the 15% that was not added since you paid cash for the tip. It is really stupid the way they do this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol dang frugralmomof3 now you have me nervous again. So now I will be stressing about this tomorrow till I see how it posts, my weekend checkcard purchases never post before midnight on mondays.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

this has happened to us many, many, many times & also my dad - the first time I freaked out - but it clears the bank for the lesser amount - I don't know if it's the cc company or the resturant though? I have no clue why they think it's alright to do this? but it clears the next day as the right amount - we try to use cash only now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just talked to a friend and she said that she did hear about Visa doing this but I am in PA and never have I had 15% automatically added to my bill, maybe it's just some states or is this something new? I havent eaten at Applebees in over a month or so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thinking this will be another area where I am going to have to start to carry cash. I hate the carrying cash though, if I lose my purse when I am out at least with the card I can call and put a freeze on it, but with cash well if I lose my purse that is just gone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

justpeachy92 I am sorry! Either way you signed for a certain amount and they can only charge what you signed for so dont worry, it will be for the lower amount, sorry to have gotten you worried it was just something I've never personally had happen to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wondered that too - if it depends on what state you are in?? when I say it's happened to us many times, I should say that this has been over the past 5 years or so - we don't eat out THAT often

I noticed that in California, when I wanted to pay for a drink in a gas station with my debit card - it was going to charge me 45 cents JUST to use my debit card!! I've never heard of this before! -- I put the drink back & waited til we were on base --

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This happened to my DH too. He paid with his checkcard and the other driver left a cash tip and it still charged us a tip till it cleared the bank. DH always writes 0 with a line thru it if he leaves a cash tip so they won't automatically write their own amount in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No worries, this is normal. I don't think there's a need to carry cash because of this; once the charge is processed the correct amount will show up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Never had it done to us, but we also make sure that we mark a zero through the tip line IF we leave a cash tip... Good luck and let us know what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast