Has anyone done there own Divorce?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Has anyone done there own Divorce?

I am trying to do my divorce my self. I called a lawyer and they want 1000 or more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ive never done any divorce but they have those do-it-yourself divorce kits at Staples or Office Depot for like $30, alot less than $1000 that's for sure, I would use that though only if its a mutual split and agreements have been made, such as house, car, children BUT you can also add this to the petition for divorce as well. There are also tons of sample legal divorce petitions by state that can be found online that you can edit in MicroSoft Word, adding/emending or deleting certain things that dont pertain to you and your divorce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister and her ex-husband did their own. They purchased the forms from an office supply and did all their own filing and appeared together before the judge. Their divorce was very friendly and they agreed on all the points, including property division and child custody and support before they appeared before the judge. It was not hard at all and they did not have any trouble from the court about it.

If your divorce is not going to be friendly and your husband is not agreeable to everything, I would definately advise you to use a lawyer. If you can't afford one, you may be able to find a legal aid office to assist you. I hope that everything works out for you .

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When i lived in california over 20 years ago i used a typing service and had it done then for 105.00 Worked great for me i didn't have children by him and no property to split . They even filed it for me you might look for something like this

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know about self-divorce-just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are going through this...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going through the same thing right now and going through www.completecase.com .I have friends that have used this site and had zero issues with the paperwork. For "do it yourself" everyone must agree, which I think is the hard part.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by yankeegal View Post
    I don't know about self-divorce-just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are going through this...

it is ok really.See the DH I talk about in here is really my boy friend we have been together for going on 3 years now. The DH I am married to by law is the Father of my 2 dds and we got married in 1992 on April 1. I have never got a Divorce from him because I did not want to marry again.So now I am ready to marry my boyfriend. the hard part is I have not seen or heard from my Dh By law. Sence 1997. He is on drugs and has nothing to do with the kids.
    I called a low income Leagle office to help me do the papers.They say I am going to Have to put a Add in the paper where I last know of him living. Filling the papers out it not easy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by kmsinsa View Post
    I am going through the same thing right now and going through www.completecase.com .I have friends that have used this site and had zero issues with the paperwork. For "do it yourself" everyone must agree, which I think is the hard part.
    thanks I will look in to it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did my own divorce a few years ago. I was able to find all of the forms needed online (through my county's webpage -- a Google search should bring them up) and print them out. It was easy to do, but we were on friendly terms and did not have any children. If you think it will get messy, I would suggest hiring a lawyer. Good luck. You can PM me anytime if you have any questions or need to talk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did my own. I had the same issue (he was an addict) I just took out an ad in the local paper with a deadline in it that he had 30 days to respond. This is how you "serve" him by "publication". He didn't respond and I took the information and a copy of the ad to the judge when I went before the court. Filing was easy, the paperwork easy to fill out and it is more common than you think so the ladies at the courthouse were very helpful when it came to filing and scheduling time before the judge. You can do this!

ama
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds difficult but I think you've got some great advice so far. I know I've read the notices in the paper and always wondered what those were about. Sounds like the way for you to go for sure. Good luck and let us know how it goes -- we love weddings here!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't but I have heard of many law schools and universities that offer pro bono legal work. You may check into that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never done it, but I know that you can get the forms here from the courts and if its friendly and a mutual agreement its a filing charge of $50.
    A friends daughter just got a divorce in November and it was a tune of $3200.
    They had kids and he didn't want to split anything with her.
    I wish you luck.