I'm being nostalgic here..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I'm being nostalgic here..

...so humor me...okay!??!...I was walking through Target the other day looking at the curtains and other house thingies, and my mind drifted back to those good old days when I would go shopping with my mom downtown...
    We would go in a department store called The Sharon Store(named after the town)..it was one of those old stores with different floors and elevators...We would always go to the "domestics" dept. and look at all the lovely curtains hanging in little window type displays...they were cute sets with different colorful designs...and they also had lovely tea towels and other beautiful well made items for the home....
    Any way, I just wondered if anyone remembers the "domestics" department and all its beauty...the new stores just don't have it any more...everything is so cheaply made and not really pretty, KWIM????...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember going to the big Sears store in my hometown. They had an escalator, a candy department, and the furniture department was so cool (to a little kid)! They had all of the bedroom furniture displayed in little "bedrooms" with walls on three sides, open on the other side. I loved that store. That was back when Sears had a toy department, too.

Remember when Kmart, and other stores all had pet departments with live animals? I think Walmart still sells some fish, but no birds or anything else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember! We had "Tate's" for our department store.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh,oh,oh remember Woolworth's! The original five and dime!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grew up in a very small town back east and I remember going to the shops with my mom when I was little. I remember selling the bulk candy (of course because I was little). I remember they sold little tiny turtles with painted shells. Everything was so different in a store like that. They had a little lunch counter where we would have a little lunch. I remember all the candy corn in the fall. Everything was decorated so cute. I can still remember the sights and smells.

Thanks for bringing back a sweet memory.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had Woolworths (just closed about 7 yrs ago), JC Penny's, and Sears. All had multiple levels with different departments on different floors.

Now Sears & JCP's are in the mall and Woolworths is gone

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Things, domestic departments included, really aren't as nice as they used to be. Carl Company had theirs on the 3rd floor and you got there by walking the flights of stairs or taking the elevator manned by a man with white gloves who called out the floors as you arrived and would also look out and announce going down or going up...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww,, thank you for the memories, I'm having a nostalgic day anyways and you really took me back My grandparents had an old fashioned drug store which my parents took over complete with the ice cream/soda fountian and lunch counter. I spent the first years of my life there. I didn't have kids for friends but had TONS of "aunts and uncles". The store was by the railroad depot and I knew tons of the conductors, engineers, brakemen, all the local police, etc. Dad was also in politics so local "meetings" were held regularly.

Sigh, now I REALLY want a chocolate coke.

Oh, and sadly all that's left are a few pictures I have and a few of the soda fountian sundae dishes. Such memories.

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My mom and I would walk uptown to "Bergman's Department Store" Uptopwn was about 3/4 of a mile from our house. Bergman's had it all. Shoe department where men helped you try on shoes, a toy department that would put Toys ar Us to same, books, wallets, purses, clothes, a beauty parlor, a craft section that carried yarns- items to embroder - cloth anf patterns for sewing - needles and thread, wonderful domestic department that was like wonderland to me, and the soda counter. If I was good we would stop and split a cherry coke! What a treat. I have very fond memories of those times with my mom

Thank you for the memory jog! Love to remember those great times with mom -still miss her after 9 years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We would go to the Sears nearest us on the bus, shop for a while, and then stop at the little diner/restaurant place at Woolworth's for fries and milk (us kids were young then). The milk came in a cone-shaped paper cup placed in a plastic holder. We had Coke later, when we were older.

Registered User watchingpennies's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember the candy department at sears. We would go as a family and pick our candy. The lady would scoop it into white paper bags and then put it on the scale. I also remember going to the counter at woolworths and having a coke and fries with gravy. The good ol' days!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anyone remember creaky wooden floors?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grew up in Independence, Missouri, home of Harry Truman.Occasionally, as a child, we would see him walking up to TG&Y.He walked with a cane.We had a Katz store on the square with a big black swaying cat on the front of the building. The floors were wood and little plastic type cubbyholes held things like hankies, doilies and such. The floors were the creaky wood type.There was a lunch counter where you could have a soda or a float and a hamburger. Or maybe a plate lunch. I went there with a dollar to buy my dog a coat, and I remember the clerk giving me silver change back!!!She had a big black beehive hairdo, and I thought she was so lovely because she had on frosted blue eye shadow.We also had a Ben Franklin store in Englewood. It had a fabric and craft dept. and a big popcorn popper in the middle of the store. When you went in you could hear it popping and smell it!I think a sack was a quarter. It was such fun!!It makes me happy to remember it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a Woolworths and a store called The Mart... Not Walmart or Kmart just the Mart. It had different levels and the creeky wooden floors. I would always tell my mother when we went in there that I wanted new underwear with "plowers" on them. I could not say flowers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Speaking of popcorn, I remember the candy counter at the Montgomery Ward store. They made their own caramel corn. When you bought a bag, it was still warm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast