My First Door-To-Door Sales Kid!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default My First Door-To-Door Sales Kid!!!

Been on my own for almost eight years now, and I just had my first door-to-door sales kid! The cutest little blond guy knocked on my door and asked me to sponsor him for the Walk-A-Thon. I was so happy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, it's kinda shocking that you were and are so happy! I'd be annoyed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, that's the exact opposite reaction I'd have. Good thing the little man knocked on your door and not mine, LOL.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Down here the schools really discourage kids going door to door with all of the freaks around. BUT, I'm glad you were so happy. I wouldn't have answered the door.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awww... why so negative? I can understand if you had 15 kids knocking on your door every week. But why such bad experiences?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would have been happy to sponsor the little guy!

But I would have been looking around to make sure a parent was with them to keep an eye on them......geeezz I hate that that is the times we live in now.

leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just don't like the thought of schools turning my children in salespeople to raise funds for them, generally over frivolous things. For example, one of the children I used to babysit brought home a catalog. The funds were going to support a teacher's Christmas gift exchange!

So now, I'm leary about ALL school fundraisers! Plus, generally the schools don't even make much profit from them.

I would rather just turn down everyone. Sorry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by druidessemily View Post
    I just don't like the thought of schools turning my children in salespeople to raise funds for them, generally over frivolous things. For example, one of the children I used to babysit brought home a catalog. The funds were going to support a teacher's Christmas gift exchange!

So now, I'm leary about ALL school fundraisers! Plus, generally the schools don't even make much profit from them.

I would rather just turn down everyone. Sorry.
    I'd rather have them selling something that turning into little beggars like what we have! Every weekend, it seems that some sports team or cheerleading squad is out in front of our store begging for donations. I'm sick of it, and so are the customers. I wouldn't mind if they just sat there with a little bucket or something, but they are out there accosting the customers asking them to "donate". I think it's teaching the children that they don't have to work for things, just beg for them!

Still, I've never turned down a child that was selling something for school, even something I didn't need. I've given away many a school fund raiser for Christmas gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try living two blocks from an elementary school. Then getting hit up at work for cheaply made and/or overpriced stuff that I don't need, and the schools only get a very small percentage. It loses its appeal quick. DH finally quit buying last year when he didn't even get what he ordered. Then we get the adults, the comic geniuses or the slicksters attempting to 'schmooze' us trying to sell *whatever*. I finally put a 'no solicitors' sign by our door which seems to have helped some so far, and I don't answer the door when I see its a sales call or a religious group.

Don't even get me started on having to run the gauntlet in front of the store every time I go grocery shopping LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Oh my memories

Well i had/have four children. The worst thing of all was the candy. they would bring home a box of m and m/s or hershey bars or long bars of candy for a dollar. And i knew i would be writeing a check at the end of the month to cover the losses. My kids thought they had a credit thing going. Well carl (age 5) owes me for 10 bars of chocolate. THEn it was , well did you think; to think, that carl doesnt have a job, all he has is the chocolate habit. anyway. It didnt take us long to Dare the kids to come home with them boxes. We have a no solicitors policy in our trailer park but kids still time to time come to the door. I guess i probadly 9 times out of 10 purchase the items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't afford to buy from all the kids that come to my door! Plus my own dd.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't mind the neighborhood kids looking for the donations for the walkathon type things. At our school they use those funds to buy each studentwalker a tshirt and the rest of the money goes to charity. I have suggested a tupperware fundraiser numerous times but it gets rejected. Atleast that is something I wouldn't mind buying because I could actually use it. This year I spent $100 on crap just so my kids aren't left out of seeing the magic show, though honestly next year I am seriously considering letting my kids skip school the day of the magic show and do something else with them. I know I could give them a day of fun for less than $100 and not be stuck figuring our what to do with stuff I don't want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i don't mind helping out the neighbors' kids. i help them with their fundraisers, and they help us with ours for girl scouts.
    the complex we live in has so soliciting signs at both ends of our street. the one at our end is right by the entrance to our parking lot. yet we still have people coming around knocking on doors. i even have a 8.5" 11" sign on my front door right by the handle on the storm door (so you can't miss it when you open it to ring hte bell or knock ont he door) and yet i still have people knocking. the last one told me he thought it said no smoking. yep soliciting and smoking look a lot alike.
    in the 3 years that we have lived here, none of the people knocking on our doors have seemed legit except for the mormons. at least they wear name tags and dress nicely. i made sure dd had her gs vest on when we talked to a couple of neighbors about cookies last season. all the others never have anything that says anything about what they want money for. and i've had them argue with me about what soliciting is.
    before dd became a girl scout, i did have a line at the bottom of my sign that girl scouts selling cookies were welcome to knock. and one of the neighbors who had permission from the office to hand out avon catalogs was reading the sign when i was on my way out, and i told him i didn't mind if he left a catalog for me.
    if it's something i know is on the up and up, i'm happy to help out, it just more often than not, the ones knocking on the doors here are shady.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by starsapphire View Post
    Try living two blocks from an elementary school. Then getting hit up at work for cheaply made and/or overpriced stuff that I don't need, and the schools only get a very small percentage. It loses its appeal quick. DH finally quit buying last year when he didn't even get what he ordered. Then we get the adults, the comic geniuses or the slicksters attempting to 'schmooze' us trying to sell *whatever*. I finally put a 'no solicitors' sign by our door which seems to have helped some so far, and I don't answer the door when I see its a sales call or a religious group.

Don't even get me started on having to run the gauntlet in front of the store every time I go grocery shopping LOL.
    We had some kids who found some old sales material in a dumpster, and went around scamming people out of money. It came to light when one of them happened to go to the house of a school teacher (in another grade, who she wasn't familiar with) and asked her to buy something. The teacher took the catalog and asked her to come back the next evening to get the order. The next day, she was called into the principal's office, and there sat her mother, and the police! They threatened to arrest her for fraud if she didn't tell them where she got the materials, and the idea, and who else was involved. She squealed like a piggy! In all, there were 10 kids involved, and they had collected just over $3,000 so far, most of which had been spent. They were made to pay restitution, and were on probation for a year. The kids ranged in age from 12 to 17. Believe it or not, the 12 year old thought up the scam!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so glad we do not have to deal with door-to-doors. The elemetary school down the street request the children not go door-to-door with the fundraisers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast