Need some help with this situation
    Registered User Droppedonmyhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need some help with this situation

My daughter, her 2 little boys and my Mom have moved in with me temporarily until my daughter finds a job and gets an apartment for her and the 2 boys. Mom will probably stay on to live with me. They have been here less than a week.

My landlord wants me to sign an agreement that I will pay an additional $100 a month if my daughter and her boys haven't moved out by 12/31/07. . .and $30 a month more if my Mom stays to live with me.

I'm just flabbergasted because in the past, she has rented to as many of 4 people living together in this house and she NEVER charged them extra or increased the rent. I have even lived in this house with an ex boyfriend and she never mentioned a rent increase while he was here. When I ask her about it, she insists that it's because "I just have a feeling and I'm scared". Nothing solid to base it on. She did make the comment about the water bill increasing which is nonsense because it wouldn't increase that dramatically.
    She has mentioned a few times that she thinks that with the increased number of people that I won't be able to pay the rent (even though my Mom and daughter both will bring in money). I asked her if there has ever been a problem in the past 6 years with me not paying the rent and she answered "no". Then she goes on with the "being scared" bit.

I might mention that I have rented this house from her for 6 years with no written lease and no security deposits. (She did this because we are/were close friends). I know she's having severe money problems and has gotten very money hungry. Any advice????

**Forgot to mention that all this started with the landlord the day after she found out they were coming to stay with me for a little while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't really have any advice other than to send some hugs

It seems that these days people are in it to get all they can get. I'm shocked also that after 6 years of being a great tenant she decides to get "scared".

This may be the only choice you have; finding another place to move to may be difficult.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like it might be time to find a new place to live. Her being "scared" might be secret code for I'm thinking of selling soon or I'm getting behind on bills. Water bill will go up as will electricity to heat water etc. not sure if you pay those or she does. Some people just don't like kids around too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't really have any advice to offer, but here's a hug! Without a lease, there isn't really much that you can do (I don't think anyway... maybe someone here has more experience). You can try reasoning with her again -- or ask her why she is "scared"?? It might be time to find a new place to live if you think that she is being unreasonable. Hope you're able to work something out!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Darlene! I would look for somewhere else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All I can say is that if she's paying the water bill and elec. even though you have been a really good tenant, she can raise it. I hope she doesnt .
    It may not be fair to you and I understand that. I found out only when we went to change over our elec. that we had to pay the sewage/ water fee$30 every month hooked on the monthly bill. They never told us that , they assumed we knew we had to pay it and when we asked(this was 2 weeks ago we moved), they told us "of course it comes automatically on your elec. u didn't think we'd pay for it, its a house "I was floored.
    well cant do anything about it either. Just have to pay it every month.
    Landlords can be fickle when it comes to money and sometimes a little greedy.

Registered User Droppedonmyhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She pays the water bill which ran less than $19.00 for the 2 houses. So the water certainly wouldn't run an additional $100 a month. I pay all of my other utilities.

I guess what really irkes me is that my daughter and grandsons weren't here but 1 day and she started in on being "scared". Maybe I should have been "scared" too when her niece and nephew moved in with her for 6 months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lori,

Maybe she is putting off what happened with her own issues onto you?? If you have been there for 6 years you should talk to her and ask her whats she's scared about. Maybe she feels like she rented to you and liked it that way.....and does not feel good about having extra folks around.

leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ask her for a copy of the water bill before they moved in, and then ask her for a copy each month, and negotiate who pays what on the overage.

You MUST get a written agreement. Without it, you are on month to month, and she can literally throw you out with 30 days notice. Negotiate with her about paying extra while they are there, but say that you want it in writing, and you want a written lease.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Actually, with the 12/31 deadline, she is giving you 2 months notice for this increase.

The big question: What are comparable rental properties going for in your area?

If you've been there 6 years, and friends with the landlord, is it possible that she hasn't been increasing the rent on a yearly basis to keep up with other comparable properties?

You mentioned that she has money problems. It could be that she kept the rent reasonable, figuring that in a bind she could sell the house.... but with the real estate market recently turned on its head, she can't sell... so collecting rent now is even more important.

That said, she probably won't want to lose a good long-term tenant. Could it be that she thinks the kids will be destructive?

Good luck -- I was once a tenant, and I've also been a landlord. So I can see both sides.