Moving

Thread: Moving

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Moving

Hey guys. Me again. I haven't been here for awhile, because I've spent all of my free time lately researching how to write cover letters/resumes, writing applications and rewriting applications...

Anyways, I'm on the job hunt, obviously. Mainly, I'm looking through available job openings and applying to those positions. But I also want to write a few letters of inquiry into places my fiance and I would enjoy living, just to see if something comes out of that. I haven't had a chance to talk to my fiance in depth recently about where he'd like to live (overall, he'll go wherever I get a job), but I know that my preferred locale goes from Minnesota (currently) on west.

I'd love the great lakes region or the eastern coast, especially. I don't want to live any further south than kentucky or virginia, and other than Minnesota, no further west than illinois.

My question to you ladies is where would you suggest? What is the cost of living like (including groceries) for those of you who live in one of the listed areas? What do you like about the region? Keep in mind that I'd most likely have to live in or near a larger city, as my proffession is zoo keeping and I'd have to work at a zoo.

Thanks for any ideas. I'm sending an application to Baltimore, MD, and I think it'd be a great match for us.. but agian, I want some other people's real life opinions stories. Please also keep in mind that I'm moving on my own first, with my fiance following about a year later..so safety for a single 22 year old woman is vital as well.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm originally from Pennsylvania and PA is a Bucks county is a wonderful place to live.

It's about 45 minutes from Philly, 2 hours from New York, 3 hours from DC, 2 hours from the ocean and about 1 hour from the mountains.

It's got lost of farms, rolling hills and is quite beautiful, too, yet close to tons of shopping.

Quite a bit of history....Bucks county is where Washington crossed the Delaware and there are many historic old farm houses/parks.....etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I live in the panhandle of Texas, near Amarillo. The cost of living is very low compared to other parts of the country. It's very hot in the summer and usually cold in the winter. It's really a great place to live. Oil and gas, farming and cattle are the main industries here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Columbus Ohio

Home of Columbus Zoo and Aquarium (Jack Hannah), Lots of place to rent/buy. Airport within 20-30min drive of anywhere in city including suburbs. Food doesn't seem too expensive compared to what others list prices for.

Gallon 2%milk $2.50-$3.00 (goes on sale too)
    eggs 2 dozen $2.11
    Sunbeam white bread $1.50
    Hamburger $1.99 lb
    Gasoline $3.05 gallon (right now)

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Columbus Ohio is a GREAT place, lived there for 8 years. It is big city but rural within minutes, the zoo is GORGEOUS and well outside town. I've spent a lot of time in the past at the zoo, used to work with the purchasing agent often and got back room visits, I LOVE it there. And Jack has retired from what I hear, but he's a hoot in person too, hyper and quick witted, and yes, loves his critters

The Cleveland zoo is also nice, but I'm not as much a fan of Cleveland, hmm, could be because the inlaws are there? LOL. However Cleveland is a very unique cultural melting pot, pockets are VERY ethnic and neat to visit. Home of Halle Berry and Drew Carey among many others, and TONS of things to do there.

I personally live in a rural area 60 miles south of Cleveland and 90 miles north of Columbus so easy distance to both. Cost of living in my town is pretty reasonable, and it's a small town with an upscale private college, older quiet town with lots of cultural things going on.

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfarmwife View Post
    Columbus Ohio is a GREAT place, lived there for 8 years. It is big city but rural within minutes, the zoo is GORGEOUS and well outside town. I've spent a lot of time in the past at the zoo, used to work with the purchasing agent often and got back room visits, I LOVE it there. And Jack has retired from what I hear, but he's a hoot in person too, hyper and quick witted, and yes, loves his critters

The Cleveland zoo is also nice, but I'm not as much a fan of Cleveland, hmm, could be because the inlaws are there? LOL. However Cleveland is a very unique cultural melting pot, pockets are VERY ethnic and neat to visit. Home of Halle Berry and Drew Carey among many others, and TONS of things to do there.

I personally live in a rural area 60 miles south of Cleveland and 90 miles north of Columbus so easy distance to both. Cost of living in my town is pretty reasonable, and it's a small town with an upscale private college, older quiet town with lots of cultural things going on.

kj
    You wouldn't believe the way it has built up around the Zoo. I remember when it was all farm land and I'm only 34. Just to get off the outerbelt and to the zoo now takes about 20 minutes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Very interesting guys! I hadn't thought much about Ohio, and I didn't realize that Jack Hannah's zoo was there. Have to admit, Jack Hannah seems like a pretty good guy from all of his shows I've seen.

I'll definitely have to check it out.

It's about 45 minutes from Philly, 2 hours from New York, 3 hours from DC, 2 hours from the ocean and about 1 hour from the mountains.
    This is what I LOVE about the east coast. I love the idea that I could be such a short drive away from so many different things.

Thanks again everyone. If anyone else has any more input, let me know!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since you mentioned sending a resume to Baltimore, I'll put in my pennies. I am a Baltimore native living in the suburbs.

There is a lot to do here - museums, Harborplace, The National Aquarium in the downtown area. If you're a sports fan - football, baseball, indoor soccer. Lots of water - lots of boating enthusiasts. You can drive to the beach or the mountains. The MARC train can take you from Penn Station in Baltimore to Union Station in DC where you can connect to the DC Metro (clean and safe) and visit the Smithsonian. The cost is reasonable and definitely beats driving. The Amish communities in Lancaster are also within driving distance - a beautiful ride, I might add.

Baltimore is home to one of the best medical institutions in the world - Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Public transportation (bus, light rail, subway) is abundant within the city limits, and pretty much feeds people to jobs downtown or it feeds people living downtown to jobs in select parts of the suburbs. If you live in the suburbs and work in another area of the suburbs (like me), you pretty much have to drive, and rush hour is horrible! I have used the bus service with no problems, but my area is not served by either light rail or subway, so I can't tell you about those.

Baltimore has violent crime mostly tied to the illegal drug trade. Some areas of the city are less safe than others.

We have a wacky climate sometimes with wild temperature variations, but summers are generally hot and humid! Snow has been scarce around here for a few years, but I'm hoping for a nor'easter soon. Tropical storms/hurricanes occur with an occasional tornado.

Sales tax is 6% (except for food items purchased in the grocery store). The last gallon of milk I bought Sunday was $3.99. Gas this morning was $2.89/gal (cash price) for regular unleaded. Grocery stores are Giant Food, Shoppers, Superfresh, Food Lion, Mars, Aldi, Safeway. Giant Food, Shoppers and Superfresh double coupons, Superfresh will triple every 6 weeks or so. Mars is a local, family owned business and has low prices. We have a lot of the big box stores, and chain-type restaurants.

What I like about living here is the convenience - major interstates, an international airport, Amtrak, lots of shopping and sightseeing choices. There is a lot of beauty and a lot of history in this small state. For the most part, Baltimore and its residents are friendly and real, so it doesn't feel like a big city.

If there is anything else you want to know, just let me know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by momofslg View Post
    You wouldn't believe the way it has built up around the Zoo. I remember when it was all farm land and I'm only 34. Just to get off the outerbelt and to the zoo now takes about 20 minutes.
    Sigh, I HATE that it's grown that way, but then it's happened everywhere. Here in my home town we've had a massive growth north (thank goodness I live south) and have lost so many BEAUTIFUL farms to walmart, strip malls and apartments

Still LOVE Columbus though, we hope to get to the zoo there this summer.

And Ohio is really a progressive state, lol, I used to think we were a bit backwards until hubby did a good bit of traveling in the early 90's, showed us that our state is pretty with it

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in Lakewood, Ohio which is an inner ring suburb of Cleveland. Low crime rate (in spite of what a lot of nay sayers spout). Police response time is less than 3 minutes. Aldis, Marcs, Giant Eagle, Heinens - groceries within minutes. I live right at the top of the hill from the Metro Parks and the Rocky river. Metro parks is 250 square miles of park that meanders from Rocky River (suburb immediately west of me) down to Akron which is 35 minutes away.

My apartment is $505.00 a month for a one bedroom with heat included and a pool. My location is choice. Food is still very reasonable. Lakewood has a community CSA where you pay the farmers directly and get shares of produce every week for $5.00 to $20.00 - it is organic and there is usually so much that I give some of mine away to people who need it. We have access to all the cultural amenities of Cleveland - the orchestra, Playhouse Square which has Broadway Shows and big name acts all the time. There is so much available culturally that it would take me three pages to list.

Lakewood also is a very progressive community with one the award winning Lakewood Library.

For a feel of Lakewood take a look at our community newspaper which is online - www.LakewoodObserver.com - Also on the site look at the Observation Deck for a view of what kind of community conversations and activism we have.

Best part of Lakewood for you? The Cleveland Zoo which along with it's RainForest is one of the best Zoos in the country, is 10 minutes away.

Cost of living is on the low side - great place to raise a family and wonderful school system.

Can you tell that I love my town?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sound like you guys have such great places to live! Ohio sounds like a great place... anyone in the toledo area? I'm sending out an application for the zoo there... but I've sent out applications all over the place..and so far nothing. I guess that's all just part of the job hunt.

I never thought much about Ohio before - but you guys make me want to move there!!!

Baltimore sounds great. Unfortunately I have a good feeling that position has already been filled without me... but maybe I'll land there in the future - who knows?

If anyone else has any cities they want to share - please do! I'm interested in hearing from anyone, anywhere.

p.s. I live about 45 minutes north west of the twin cities in Minnesota. We have Cub Foods, Coborns, Wal Mart, and somewhere in the cities Aldi for groceries. Milk is between 3.05 and 5.00 per gallon depending on where you shop...I'm vacationing in Germany so I'm not sure of gas right now, but when I left it was 2.89 or so...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Western NY is a wonderful place to live!! I moved back to my hometown of Niagara Falls a few years back and it was the best decision ever.

Buffalo is actually a vibrant city even though it gets a bad rap. (That is to our advantage as it kept housing prices reasonable). Buffalo has one of the most educated work forces in the country and is home to UB (largest university in NY State) and numerous other colleges. Active music and art scenes.

WNY has too many rivers to count, Lakes Erie and Ontario, Niagara Falls and lots of small falls. Lots of ways to enjoy the warm weather: hiking, biking, swimming, boating, water skiing, tubing... Lots of winter weather stuff too: skating, downhill and cross country skiing, snow boarding, tubing.

We're an hour away from Toronto.

Good cost of living, friendly people, great farmers markets and fresh fruits/veggies

Take a look online -- do yourself a favor and look into this area.

What type of work do you do? Just for kicks, search on monster for jobs in your field in this area and see what happens.

Let me know ifyou have any questions.

Good luck!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jen -

I'm a zookeeper...which basically means I'm a glorified pooper-scooper.. but I love it! I'm looking for work at zoos or other similar facilities. Western NY sounds great.. in reality, all I've heard about the Northeast sounds great, I'd LOVE to live there!

My job hunt hasn't yet used Monster..but maybe I'll check into it. Thanks for the info!

lgw
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

New Hampshire is a great place to live, but the cost of living is pretty high. Our housing prices have been going up because we have so many people who work in Boston moving here.

However, we have the second-lowest overall tax burden (local and state taxes) in the nation: http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/335.html. We do not have a sales or income tax. Our property taxes are high only because that's what the state relies on for everything. However, when you look at how much you save without a sales or income tax, we have it pretty good here.

NH also has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation, lowest illiteracy rates in the nation and undoubtedly the highest presidential-candidate-visit-to-resident ratio in the nation. :-)

From where I live, I am 30 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean, an hour from the mountains, an hour from a major metro area (Boston), 5 minutes from the town farmer's market, 3 minutes from the lobster man who sells his catch every day out of his house down the road for at least a buck less than everywhere else, and a one-minute walk down our street to our neighbor's pick-your-own blueberries in the summertime.