Would you feel guilty if?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Would you feel guilty if?

you took a dress from a Bridal dress designer and asked another designer/custom seamstress to make it for you?

I sent an email to another designer regarding this and I actually feel guilty about it, I don't know if I should go a head and do it or not? I guess the bottom facter would regard what the end result of the price would be if it's more than what the cost of the initial dress is than I probably won't.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldnt feel guilty, especially if it's cheaper for you, nothing wrong with trying to find a better deal, that's what all the department stores do, why cant we?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Um, BIG FAT NO!
    I know enough ppl that have had problems with Davids Bridal, that I wouldn;'t want to give them my business, plus, the quality will prob. be better handmade for you.
    (I don;t get why you would feel guilty, sorry)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I feel guilty.........

I feel guilty because I feel as if I'm stealing from someone else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heck no I wouldn't feel guilty!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't feel guilty about it at all. It isn't as if you are going to say this is so and so's dress. You would probably just say that it was a hand made dress based on so and so's design.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dont think thats stealing at all. If that were the case, you'd have to pay a fee to see it or a waiver stating that you wont ask another to make that exact same dress.....how should I word it? That design isnt copywritten is it? Even so, homemade can be personalized with different details which flatter your body vs you having to bust your chops to make your body flatter the dress.

Dont feel guilty at all...its not like you bought the designer dress or took their pattern and took it to a seamstress and asked her to make an exact copy to a "T" correct?

You want to feel and look special on your big day however its still a dress, that will be worn only once. Why should it cost so much more you know? Is it going to be extra durable b/c you're paying more? No....so go with what you like that fits into your budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No way could I do that.

You are taking one person's design and work and having another person counterfeit it. It's not right.

edit: you are talking about from one custom designer to another, right? Not a Vera Wang taken to a custom designer and changed a bit?
    Last edited by suki; 04-22-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would do it in a heartbeat.
    The prices charged for gowns is insane, especially when most of them are all made in China. I just went thru all this in getting my gown for my wedding. Everyone does knockoffs in fashion....look at how many people are walking around with knockoff purses...clothing stores in the mall sell knockoffs of designers...Wal Mart shoes are knock offs of popular brands. GO ahead with it, and don't feel guilty at all. If people only wore original designs straight from the original designer there'd be a lot of aked people!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you ....

a. taking a picture of a dress in and saying, "I like this dress, I'd like to have one in this style?", or ....

b. taking the actual dress in and asking for an exact copy?

Option A is fine, no big deal. Option B, I'd not do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default LOL so I am not completely off my rocker?

Okay the designer is Maggie Sottero, is where I am getting the original design of the dress from and the person whom I wanted to copy the exact dress was Nina Leal(she is a canadian designer based out of Calgary) where as for me I am living in Edmonton and getting married in Calgary. The difference is the material of original dress is Taffeta, now the material that the other designer would be using is Satin I know one is heavier than the other. At the same time I would have to spend an extra $150.00(9 hours of driving) for gas to make the fittings and so forth.

I still am waiting on the price diffence, but I think I am might just order the original. The difference would be for a custom gown would be no alterations where as if I were to order I would need extensive alterations. I know that my sales consultant was absolutely wonderful with helping me, and she was very honest in many ways which is ideal when you are someone who is petite, considering I saw what another sales consultant did to another girl who was probably the same size as me. She was wearing a dress that was pratically something you can trip over which has got to be horendous if you do that walking down the isle to honest I don't think it really suited by any means but everyone has different taste.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who won't copyright a design from someone else. For those ladies who sew out there what's better quality material Taffeta or Satin? I am just curious.

I would love to hear some of your opinions please.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Pianolady View Post
    Are you ....

a. taking a picture of a dress in and saying, "I like this dress, I'd like to have one in this style?", or ....

b. taking the actual dress in and asking for an exact copy?

Option A is fine, no big deal. Option B, I'd not do it.

I agree. Incorporating elements you like from a custom designer's dress is fine. Making an exact copy is not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't, but I happen to work in an industry where intellectual property is everything. One alternative with no ethical issues might be to visit your local fabric store and find a pattern that is close to what you want and take that to a seamstress. Also a good seamstress can put together two or more patterns - sleeves from one, skirt from another, etc.

There are two things to consider with fabric - fiber and weave. Fiber is the material that the fabric is made out of silk, cotton, poly, etc. Weave is how the fibers are put together and affects the "hand" (stiffness and general feel of the fabric). Regarding taffeta or satin those are weaves and can be of different qualities. Taffeta is stiffer, satin is softer. Personally I prefer the feel of satin, but it depends on the look you are going for. A good seamstress can advise the best choice for the style of dress you want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Just me but I would feel like I'm stealing.
    I'd maybe try and find the pattern for the dress or something to that nature.

I was once beading and making id badge holders and selling them at the hospital I worked. This one lady had the audacity to come and inquire about them. Said she'd heard so much about them.

She literally stood there and went over the entire id badge necklace design, how it was done and tied off. I couldn't belive the nerve of her.

I think things like this happen to often. But like I said this is "just my opinion."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I was a designer, I wouldn't take an order for a duplicate of an other designer's dress.