How to get my husband on board

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How to get my husband on board

I am trying to make changes to become a little more frugal and my husband doesn't seem to understand. He has continued to spend(not as much as usual) when I have drastically cut back.
    I just can't seem to make him understand that I would like to have a little cash to fall back on and especially now that we are in the process of buying our first house that we need to cut back as much as possible. I'm not sure what I can do to make him realize that this is something we NEED to do.
    He seems to think that since he is working loads of hours(carpenter/piledriver) right now that he is entitled to spend some of it. But I try to remind him that when winter arrives things slow down a bit and we need money for then. Still he never worries,I always do.
    Please can anyone help me here???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe talk to your husband about setting up a budget, include in the budget a certain amount of money that gets saved for a rainy day and allow each of you a certain amout of blow money that is yours to spend how ever you want no questions asked.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure Dave Ramsey's show is playing in the background while you are eating dinner, riding in the car, sleeping, etc. lol..maybe he will get the hint. I really don't have any words of wisdom for you as my DH is a complete tightwad by nature and I am the spender. It took me seeing the budget on paper before I realized how much I was spending on crap. Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

See this thread: [ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104077"]Ladies! Is DH NOT on board? This is for you! - Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

He wants it, and he wants it now. He's stamping his foot and saying, "I deserve it", but not thinking about whether he can really afford it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was sitting here trying to think what to add...and I dont think I have any words of wisdom since my husband is much the same way. It took him losing his job(and taking out a loan I didnt know about) to make him realise somethings arent forever. I watch him very closely now since we have literally half the money coming in. Oddly enough it is obvious it was getting spent somewhere because Im still paying the same bills on way less money. Im much more careful myself but I think it is a real rude awakening to him when I say *NO* Its taken 6 months....but he is slowly coming around especially since I joined here and talk about it to him. He checks prices and he knows I am preparing for winter..... keep talking to him and remind him a house is a huge commitment. It might take awhile and maybe a little scare for him to come around..... hopefully he does cause I know how it feels to be the one worrying!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    See this thread: https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...d.php?t=104077

He wants it, and he wants it now. He's stamping his foot and saying, "I deserve it", but not thinking about whether he can really afford it.
    Reminds me of that crazy credit card commercial that I hate..."I want it all, and I want it now".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You've been given some really good advice here, I hope that by working on your budget together that you'll get him to the same place as you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have him read Your Money or Your life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robins. He'll feel like a freaking genius walking by that Coke machine. The book empowers you, doesn't make you feel deprived like a budget/diet.