My husband downplays my efforts to live frugal. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    I dunno - if I were him I'd want farm and personal completely separate. But hey - if its worked for you for 18 years, more power too you...
    LOL Farming is a whole different way of living. Our taxes even require special forms just for farmers. Basically we borrow money at the beginning of each year, live off part of the borrowed money and use the other for farm expenses. Then at the end of the year, after selling our crop, we pay the loan back. If, and that's a big if most years, there is any money left over, we get to make the major purchases we need for our family. Most years however, we either break even or we spend the extra money purchasing new equipment for the farm which both the farm needs and we need for a tax break.

My DH keeps his expenses in a great financial program which he uses to seperate all purchases into farm or personal.

Kim

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlySi View Post
    LOL Farming is a whole different way of living. Our taxes even require special forms just for farmers.
    I'm aware. I come from farming stock - 2 generations removed.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be separate from personal. It's still a business. But that's me.

Basically we borrow money at the beginning of each year, live off part of the borrowed money and use the other for farm expenses. Then at the end of the year, after selling our crop, we pay the loan back. If, and that's a big if most years, there is any money left over, we get to make the major purchases we need for our family. Most years however, we either break even or we spend the extra money purchasing new equipment for the farm which both the farm needs and we need for a tax break.
    If you all weren't paying out all that interest on borrowing money every year, I wonder if you could actually net more? I know there are big expenses that need to be met every year - but if you can make a profit, you can gradually transition to running a debt free farm.

But this isn't the DR forum so I am not gonna belabor the point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    I'm aware. I come from farming stock - 2 generations removed.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be separate from personal. It's still a business. But that's me.

If you all weren't paying out all that interest on borrowing money every year, I wonder if you could actually net more? I know there are big expenses that need to be met every year - but if you can make a profit, you can gradually transition to running a debt free farm.

But this isn't the DR forum so I am not gonna belabor the point.
    You're correct. We would love to farm credit free, but in the 19 years we've been farming we've made a profit of more than 20,000 only once. (I count profit as what is left over after paying back all farming loans. This includes what we've lived on during the year.) Most years it is less than that or it is at a loss. I can remember one year when the loss was more than my yearly salary! $20,000 is only a tiny portion of what we borrow each year. Even if we could cut our living expenses by 1/2 each year and therefore make a better net, it would still take us 20 to 30 years to ever become credit free.

The snowball effect should kick in each year, but unfortunately we're talking about profit and the snowball on taxes enlarges almost as much as debt reduction.

kim

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cooking

As someone who took up cooking after she was an adult I wanted to suggest something. At the hospital where I volunteer they have healthy cooking classes available to the public. I haven't gone to any, but many of the employees have and love them. They are usually only about 10$ and show you healthy dishes. In addition to highschool/community colleges/ adult learning I want to suggest you check out hospitals in your area for cooking classes!

KB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you,

I'll check on this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The best basic cookbook I've ever read (I buy copies for all my girl friends who get married) is "How to Cook Everything".

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Everything-Completely-Revised-Anniversary/dp/0764578650/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272107933&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition), Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food (9780764578656): Mark Bittman: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51BqXL93GpL[/ame]

Not just recipes, but actual best techniques for roasting chicken, or whatever.

BTW.. a lot of times the stores that sell those roast chickens also sell the "spice rub" that they put on it. I think I've probably saved $1000 over the last 5 years just by buying whole chickens on sale and roasting them with the store's mix on them. No one can tell the difference in taste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, being totally devils advocate here... Are you spending family time doing the coupon thing? Is he feeling neglected? If so that might need to be addressed.

Edie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ediesbeads View Post
    OK, being totally devils advocate here... Are you spending family time doing the coupon thing? Is he feeling neglected? If so that might need to be addressed.

Edie
    This thread is a year old. I'm thinking they probably figured it out by now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree. My husband is on board as long as it he can get the credit. Before, he would make comments about my savings and using coupons and we don't use or need that. Now he asked for coupons for some things. I usually just leave him at home and go by myself. I don't understand men. They should be glad that they have a wife who is watching the bottom line to take of the family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Jewelry View Post
    I don't understand men. They should be glad that they have a wife who is watching the bottom line to take of the family.
    It can just as easily go the other way, but I suppose knocking an entire gender serves some sort of purpose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123